Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Web Link For Posts Not Working

There is a problem with adding a web link in posts. This has been happening for some time now.

When you click on the insert link icon the box briefly opens up and then disappears. You can not add the link. It also freezes any additional input for a period of time if you try clicking on the icon multiple times.

I have previously used the insert link without any problem but it is now down and out. Any chance on a fix?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Team

For my own link test, click here for a link to Google.

It worked for me.

I'm not aware of anyone else encountering this issue. Have you tried any of the simple things like logging off/on, deleting your cookies, etc.?

Before anyone can begin to address your problem, more information is needed like for starters:

What web browser are you using?
What type of device? Windows (Version?) or Mobile (Android? iOS?)
Have updates to the any of the above been applied recently?

When you click on the Insert Image icon, do you have the same results?

Don't be afraid to add any other information that could be helpful.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

Now that I know the problem isn't widespread I can do some experimenting.

1. Encountered problem is not only for web link but also email link and insert image link.

2. Happens in Chrome 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit).

3. Links work fine in Internet Explorer.

4. Running Win 7 on HP laptop.

5. Logged off/on - no help.

6. Have not tried clearing cookies as I don't want to reset all my other sites to square 1. Maybe if I could hunt down the specific cookies from the forum I would but seems to me I did that chore once before and it was a royal pain. I thought that when I logged off the forum I saw a banner saying cookies were erased. I will try logging off again after I post this reply and see what it says.

Now that I know I can insert a link through Internet Explorer I can just go that route when the need arises to insert a link.

Thank you very much for replying!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

Quick followup - when I logged off, the banner said all cookies were cleared. So that isn't the problem.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Being that you are able to create a link using one browser and unable to in another indicates to me there might be a setting in Chrome that isn't set properly. My DW has Chrome on her Android phone so I have very little experience with that browser. It could be worth a reviewing Chrome's settings. It almost seems like something, maybe a setting for the popup blocker, that's preventing the window from being displayed.

Do you belong to any other forums that are powered by vBulletin? If so, do you encounter the same problem with them?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

I played with some settings in Chrome without any success. I had thought about the pop up blocker but it was not enabled. I even changed it to block pop ups as a test but nothing changed.

Since I don't often add links, my problem will not be a big deal since I can change to Internet Explorer when a link is required. I prefer Chrome over I.E. so will just deal with it.

At one time I was able to add links but don't know what would have changed. Maybe Chrome did an update that hosed the feature.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Team

I hate to see you have to "jump through hoops" by changing browsers just for the ability to put link(s) in your posts. However, if you're OK with that, I'll leave things be.

If you have the time and courage, it might be worth contacting the support team for Google Chrome with your problem. As a retired "techie", I still think there's some setting, somewhere, that's not set correctly as I'm not aware of any other JOF users experiencing the same problem and I'm sure some of those users have Google Chrome as their web browser.

For a real adventure in frustration, wait until you upgrade that laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I did this at the end of June on my desktop. I still have problems I'm trying to resolve.