Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

@jimp that helps so much! I had no idea they made those waterproof. Thank you all for the tips and input!

mgiles113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiles113 View Post
@rvhiker they are hardly accessible but Iím hoping I can use them, otherwise, Iím sure the repair will become much more difficult. It must be run through the axle for protection? Also, I did crawl around underneath the rest of the camper and didnít see any further damage to wiring/hoses so I feel pretty fortunate it isnít extensive damage.
There's really no need to run the wiring through the axle. In fact, it can be a problem. Over time, the wire in the axle bounces around and gets abraded on the rough, maybe rusty interior of the axle. Happened to me - my brakes quit and the cause was the short caused by the abraded wire inside the axle. My opinion is just to tie the wires to the tops side of the axle. I did that when I re-wired my brakes, and have not had problems. If the wires at the drum are too short, it just means that you'd have to remove the drum and either install new magnets or extend the existing wiring coming from the magnet.

To tie the wires together, a good method is solder/shrink wrap or crimping the wires. Tape is OK to insulate but shrink wrap is probably better. Some crimps like this would also work: Wire Crimp Connectors - probably available at most auto parts stores. Or you could use something like these Butt Connectors - also probably available at most auto parts stores. You might have to buy a crimper tool to do the crimping properly.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The main wires going to the Axle is #12 and on the axle #12 or #14 also the wires on the magnet coil. If you have to lengthen them I would twist and solder with crimp-insulation.

Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote