Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Wiring

Something (I assume maybe a dog) chewed through the wires that run through my axles to my brake drums. Is this a simple fix, or should I have this serviced? Also, we don’t have anything in this area that would supply the wiring etc. Is there a recommended site I should use to find them? I have a 2018 Jayco 267bhsw if that helps any.
Attached Thumbnails
75574066-8814-4A02-8C81-56AAE388B2A4.jpg   B87ADFD3-B0FE-401C-AA77-EC966D2CDBA1.jpg   FBC82BC4-E1E9-4E80-AA6A-5DC85D10E888.jpg  
mgiles113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

It looks like stranded 16 gauge wire. That in itself is pretty easy to come by (Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware). It looks like some connector in the first picture was chewed on as well that I can't make out. I would suspect more of a rodent chew by the teeth marks left on the insulation (squirrel, chipmunk, mouse).

I would personally attempt the repair myself for two reasons (there's more but I'll limit mine to two). My skill set and I'm a cheapskate that doesn't want to pay others to do what I think I can do myself. Ok... a third reason many others may mention (if they aren't sure on their skill set) is the down time a Jayco dealer would involve. I'm sure a local auto shop could give you a quote on the repairs as well.

Also, I see you are new to the forum today and this is your first post. Welcome from Michigan. You'll find out shortly from the forum moderators that an introduction of yourself is in order and your inquiry on your chewed wired will end up under a more appropriate catagory. It will get more input as well for solutions.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Are the two wires coming out of the brake drum accessible? Hopefully, they are not chewed up or broken off so short that it would be difficult to connect to them?

Two things:
1) There is no polarity to brake wiring at the brake drum. Each magnet just needs one positive connection and one negative connection, it does not matter which is which.
2) There is no need to try to feed wires through your axle; they can just be strapped to the outside of the axle with zip ties. To tie them on top of the axle is best, so as to avoid stone bombardment of the wires.

I hate to bring this up, but do you think that the rodent/dog maybe chew on any more wires?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and sorry about your 'dog gone' problem.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #5

@36fire412-yeah, the connector is the part that I figured I would have the most issue finding. I’m not sure what it’s called nor how to find it. It seems like the repair is something I can do, accounting that I find the right parts. I’m a cheapskate as well lol. Also, being new to the forum, I’m unsure of how to introduce myself?

@rvhiker they are hardly accessible but I’m hoping I can use them, otherwise, I’m sure the repair will become much more difficult. It must be run through the axle for protection? Also, I did crawl around underneath the rest of the camper and didn’t see any further damage to wiring/hoses so I feel pretty fortunate it isn’t extensive damage.

@oldmanaz things happen I guess! Lol

Thank you for the timely responses!
Old 07-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You can use the home wiring connectors (size according to your wires) use some die electric- or copper grease on the wire connections. Also waterproof with good electric tape (don't use the cheap and hard kind).
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiles113 View Post
...Also, being new to the forum, I’m unsure of how to introduce myself?
Usually, you'll see introductions include camper year and model, family size, how long you've been camping, whether you're coming from a tent, pop-up, motorhome, 5th wheel, another travel trailer, if this is your first Jayco, what city and/or state or province (or regional part of the country you live in, what your interests are, retired or employed, occupation, hobbies or passions, where you hope to camp this year, etc.

Now, all that said, you don't have to give your street address and social security number. LOL! That list is just to give you an idea of what some have offered. Read what others have said for themselves to give you an idea. Look for those intros under the "Welcome Mat" header.

Well wishes on your repairs. I'll be curious how it goes and what you end up doing.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

@aljo is that all the piece in the first picture is? And thank you for the hint on not being cheap with the tape because I probably would have been lol

@36fire just posted my introduction and I will hopefully get this fixed soon!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum.

The connector in the 1st picture looks like the ones on my TT, so those would probably be 3M brand or Scotchtite, etc., can usually find those at any decent hardware store in the electrical depart. You need some wire as well, so you'll be in the right area to get all you need.

The connectors have a vaseline type gel inside connector to make a watertight seal around the twisted wires when closed. It will snap closed with a locking tab of some type.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

Looking at it again, I don’t think the wires that go into the brakes are quite long enough to use. Would it be the same wiring and what do I have to do to replace that part of the wiring?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #11

@jimp that helps so much! I had no idea they made those waterproof. Thank you all for the tips and input!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiles113 View Post
@rvhiker they are hardly accessible but I’m hoping I can use them, otherwise, I’m sure the repair will become much more difficult. It must be run through the axle for protection? Also, I did crawl around underneath the rest of the camper and didn’t see any further damage to wiring/hoses so I feel pretty fortunate it isn’t extensive damage.
There's really no need to run the wiring through the axle. In fact, it can be a problem. Over time, the wire in the axle bounces around and gets abraded on the rough, maybe rusty interior of the axle. Happened to me - my brakes quit and the cause was the short caused by the abraded wire inside the axle. My opinion is just to tie the wires to the tops side of the axle. I did that when I re-wired my brakes, and have not had problems. If the wires at the drum are too short, it just means that you'd have to remove the drum and either install new magnets or extend the existing wiring coming from the magnet.

To tie the wires together, a good method is solder/shrink wrap or crimping the wires. Tape is OK to insulate but shrink wrap is probably better. Some crimps like this would also work: Wire Crimp Connectors - probably available at most auto parts stores. Or you could use something like these Butt Connectors - also probably available at most auto parts stores. You might have to buy a crimper tool to do the crimping properly.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The main wires going to the Axle is #12 and on the axle #12 or #14 also the wires on the magnet coil. If you have to lengthen them I would twist and solder with crimp-insulation.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote