Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Jokes and Humor
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Talking True Story.. Why we didn't get a pop-up.

It's hard to believe this will be our 5th season of camping since we graduated from a tent. Five summers and three RV's later, the girlfriend and I were reflecting on all of the adventures and experience we've had since. At one point in the conversation we were discussing the three campers we've had. She paused for a moment, then asked that fateful question...

"Honey, why we didn't start out with a pop-up camper like your parents had?"

Unfortunately for me, the mouth started before the brain was done processing...

"Well dear" I replied,

"When I was a kid Dad told me that that camping with one crank is more than enough!"

I slept on the couch that night.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Yup...that'll do it! That's why I buy comfortable couches!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #3

Now that's funny!!!
We started out in a tent and "camped" that way for a few years. We got a little damp because the westherman lied. We had to leave because "she" wanted to run home for some dry(er) clothes. The other couples we were camping with thought for 100% sure we were coming back with a travel trailer. Nope. Just a change of clothes.
A short time later, the season is now over, and she says we need to get a pop up. Like you my mind didn't process what I should have said and instead said something along the line of a pop up is nothing more than a tent on wheels and how totally gay we would look pulling into a campground towing a pop up behind a 700hp compound twin turbo Cummins diesel truck that's been seen at the tracks pulling in trophies and pay out finishes in sled pulling competitions.
That next season we tent camped once and she found us a 34' Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel.
So, I never got hit to sleep on the couch. I slept at work because that's where I lived to pay for all this stuff. Lol!
Honestly, I'm surprised I'm not divorced. A few years later I'm getting the truck ready to go to the track and we have a "discussion" of how I can't use the truck at the track because if it breaks we won't have anything to pull the trailer with. If the truck breaks, I'll have it fixed before the milk in the fridge goes bad. Guess what, I went to the track but as a spectator and not a participant.
Again, no couch. I lived at work for the next 6 weeks. I came home late one Saturday nite and told her she has to get up early and take me to the airport because I had a flight to North Carolina. She's thinking I'm going out of state for work. Nope. I bought a truck and was going to pick it up on monday morning. This truck is going to be specifically for pulling the 5er and my cummins is my play truck. I wouldn't tell her what I bought but instead told her she would see it when I brought it home Monday nite from the 700 mile trip home. She about had a heart attack when I rolled in the driveway in a crew cab dually diesel. Her eyes were rolling in her head like the dollar signs in a Vegas slot machine crying wondering how much this cost.
Again, it's amazing I'm still married. Lol! God love her!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

Great stores. We got a Jayco pop up in the mid 90's. Its all we could afford. My kids still talk about those trips we took both the short weekenders and summer vacations. Looking back I still don't know how we did it. two adults and 3 kids in that little 1006. My wife and I still talk about those times with very fond memories. We purchased our 5er last fall and hope the kids will will come with us this year in the pop up when this Covid thing is over and make some new memories. I still have that trailer. Its pushing 25 years old and still looks and works like new. Its why we purchased another Jayco.

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #5

When we started looking at TT’s we had a pop-up in mind. Then, whoa, saw a hybrid. Wound up with an X23B which we pulled for 2 years. Loved it! Our purchase was an experiment to see how we liked trailering, and it was a hit. The plan was try it then figure how big we wanted to go.
We wound up with 39’ 5th at 13k#, I also got to buy a big ‘ole truck.
Love the TV, love the 5th. Plenty of room, very comfy. We’ve owned it about 6 years and have made 2 6 week trips and one 4 week trip plus many shorter outings. The longer trips have been since retirement and we are hoping to make another long one this fall.
Eventually our son will make the “dad, I need to take your keys” speech so we gotta make tracks while we can.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #6

I grew up with a 1963 GATOR 1500 (I think). Anyway, when my Dad passed away, I thought I would continue the legacy. But, my Mom was always coming over as verifying that the camper was not damaged. I finally went back to tent camping for a few years to end that issue. Years later, got a really good deal on a new 2018 Coachman Clipper 125SST. Great camper, but, at 60, my body did not like all of the open / setup that went with it. So, this year, we upgraded to a 2020 Jayco White Hawk 32RL. Great rig so far, but, since this virus, we have been doing alot of driveway camping. Looking to take Rosie out for a long trip soon.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote