Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #21

Newer planned developments in Florida seem to have them. Roundabouts, controlled intersections, doesn't matter here. They're all terrifying. No one around here understands 'stop', 'yield' and since the dawn of smartphones, even 'go' is a problem..........
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

Have been VERY fortunate to make several trips for business and pleasure to the UK. I know they are easier to get used to around folks that have used them their whole life and know the "rules", and we would still see traffic backed up on major ones around cities. First time was a 25th anniversary trip where I refused to drive over there because it was so intimidating, and I co-piloted for my fearless wife. We would enter one with several exits and I would tell her "Were taking the third exit, one two, NOW!
A year later I went on the first business trip where I was on my own and either had to learn how to drive over there or sit in a room on my off time. By the time that trip was over I was bombing around in one of those sporty little standard shift cars taking curves on country roads and down shifting into roundabouts like a F-1 driver, well at least in my head. I actually had forgotten how much fun it was to actually drive and not just point a vehicle in a direction and mash a peddle!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
There is a sign similar to that one on the southeast side of Paris, Texas. I'll try to get a picture the next time I'm in the area.
I know the sign you're talking about!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
They're starting to build some around here in the areas that have lighter traffic. They don't bother me, but it's still amusing to watch someone who's never seen one before.

As for strange intersections, this is a real sign for a real intersection here. Every time I drive through it, I have to think ahead as to where I want to go, to make sure I'm in the right lane. And I've lived in this city my whole life!

While roundabouts may be theoretically safer, the problem is exactly as you stated it. With a normal intersection, you can actually see where you are going. Sometimes even when you want to go straight (continue on the route you are on) you have little idea of which intersection to exit the roudabout on. In the past, you'd just go straight ahead.

I know the highway enginneers think these are great, but I don't like them and prefer a simple intersection.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #25

Diverging Diamond

One problem is that in most states Roundabouts aren't even mentioned in driver education or in driving tests to get your license.

Have any of you seen a "Diverging Diamond" intersection? We have several of those, mostly over major expressways. First time you encounter one of these it will litterally "Blow your mind". It's funny to watch drivers the first time they encounter one. But they actually work very well at keeping traffic moving.

Diverging Diamond Explained on Wikipedia

PS - I just donated to Wikipedia's annual campaign. It's a non-profit and a great resource, consider a donation.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #26

My daily commute includes 4 on the way to work and 5 on the way home. No big deal...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Have any of you seen a "Diverging Diamond" intersection? We have several of those, mostly over major expressways. First time you encounter one of these it will litterally "Blow your mind". It's funny to watch drivers the first time they encounter one. But they actually work very well at keeping traffic moving.
We've got a couple of those in the NYC metro area. Great at keeping traffic flowing for those of us with a clue.

A good one around here is the right lane forced right turn that bypasses the traffic light into a no merge on the cross street. The clueless will stop in anywhere in the process that is supposed to be a smooth transition!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
We've got a couple of those in the NYC metro area. Great at keeping traffic flowing for those of us with a clue.
And that's the key, having a clue.

I love roundabouts. When put in the right places they keep traffic moving and prevent backups. A short section of state hwy 42 in Door County WI recently got two roundabouts on the north of end of Sturgeon Bay. This is a 2 lane stretch of road that is the only road into the touristy part of Door County. One intersection previously had a stop light, the other a stop sign for the cross traffic. What used to be a very painful stretch on busy weekends now just moves along smoothly. Not fast, but it moves.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #29

We didn't get the memo.
We've got a brand new one in Round Rock, Texas!
Right out in front of the Round Rock Doughnut Shop.
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #30

Myth Busters

One of my favorite shows is Myth Busters and they did a show on traffic circles and found that they were much more efficient at moving traffic safely through an intersection. I don't mind them but it is hard getting used to yielding to the car in your left!
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
it is hard getting used to yielding to the car in your left!
And that's what I don't quite understand. It's just a right turn. Same principle that doesn't always require a complete stop.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #32
Site Team

There is one 5 miles from me. I was skeptical when they put it there a few years back but seems to be working well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
snip... (traffic circles) much more efficient at moving traffic safely through an intersection. I don't mind them but it is hard getting used to yielding to the car in your left!
Want to add to the fun? Watch for vehicles on the left AND for pedestrians in crosswalks on the right!

I drove buses in a tourist town and saw MANY close calls. Some locals began crossing in the middle of the block after a few close calls rather than trying to use crosswalks at traffic circles.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #34

OMIGOSH THANK GOODNESS - I went into one near - uh - Massachusetts, I think - in July, AND I'M STILL THERE! Here, I mean HERE. Can someone help? I'm getting really dizzy!!
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #35

Here's another one in England:

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #36
Lost in the Woods

We only have a small handful around locally. I like them. Wish they would replace more intersections with them. Not only do they save time but they save fuel too
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslarson View Post
Just come and visit Wisconsin, we have become round-about crazy here! Some call them Rotarys.
X2
Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #38

If roundabouts are so great, why did the U.S. stop using them decades ago? We used to have them here, then they were phased out. So why are we bringing them back? They are almost as bad as the stupid disappearing right lanes on freeways!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #39

Wow this created a really cool discussion, but I hope y'all got a kick outa the joke! The magic roundabout photo looks like four little ones inside a big one, I'd park and hop on the bus!!!!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #40

My neighborhood is full of them. I like them when im in my car.. but prefer the traditional intersections when I'm towing. The turn gets a little tight sometimes with the TT behind me.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote