Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #21

I bought Coach Net when we closed the loan on our SLX 287 BHS. Thankfully have not needed to call on it. I donít run diesel but hope any other issues would be covered. Fine print everywhere Iím sure I didnít read.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #22

Think about it a second......, how ďfuelishĒ of them, (sorry couldnít help it), the price of a tow vers the price of 5gal of diesel, how stupid! I would write a nice letter to them! Sometimes it works!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #23

AAA is pretty much a scam. Before i had my current rig I had a two wheel drive half ton pickup and i got stuck in some loose sand at a park just outside this little town. AAA wouldn't cover the cost of pulling me out because it was half a mile outside their coverage area, $150 later i was on my way.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
On the diesels that I had in my Tow trucks you had better not run out of fuel. It was a bear to take the fuel filter off and get the air out of the lines. I cannot tell you about the new trucks.

That alone, right there, would make me check twice, before pulling the TT that I had enough fuel in the tank, and wouldn't come close to running dry.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #25

Ya, I know, but sometimes life gets in the way and things are over looked, gagues are off, etc.
One of many reasons I got road side assistance, screw up and old age.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #26

HPCR Cummins

My 2003 Ram (actually 2003.5) with the HPCR Cummins self purges. I installed a FASS system back in 2007 after the factory engine mounted lift pump failed. Even with the factory lift pump, I cycled the key to the on position and listen for the lift pump to shut off. Approximately 40 seconds. Turn the key off and back on allowing the lift pump to cycle and shut off. Turn the key off and back on a third time except this time start the engine. No smoke and no stumbling. The FASS is even better. For you guys running not running aftermarket gauges, the lift pumps in the 3rd Gen Dodges with Cummins only ran at about 5-7 psi. I had witnessed mine drop to zero when under throttle towing. The FASS runs at 18-20 psi all the time. Lots of pressure up against the CP3. That FASS was worth every penny. Plus I have separate and larger fuel filter, separate water/fuel separater, and very easy access to both as they are under the bed. Sorry about the hijack.....
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #27

Good Sams to the rescue

I signed up for Good Sams Roadside over the phone as we started up the Dalton Highway in AK. They promised they would tow me back to a service facility even if I was 500 miles away if needed! Fortunately the trip went fine. A week or so ago I got my Seneca stuck in soft sand a few miles down the beach on North Padre Island National Seashore, and needed to be winched our. They sent service out with zero hassle or charge. I had half expected to get some push back since I was intentionally on the beach, but that did not happen. I did tip the driver/owner of the service well 😄. I plan on renewing when my 3 year plan is up!
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #28

I had Geico's roadside and they let me down this summer on 2 separate occasions coming back from Yellowstone. One flat on the TV and the other on the 5er. I cancelled and went with Good Sams. We'll see how they do if I ever need them!
Old 09-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #29

Sorry to hear about that but I disagree that AAA is not worth it. We had a very low rear tire on our Greyhawk this week in NM. Called Good Sam roadside before 10a local. Guy told me between noon and 1p there would be someone there to air us up.

At 2p, I called back and was told, there was a 5 hour window and that the guy had said noon to 1p as a placeholder so he could locate someone. Then they told me the one service they could find had a truck out in Los Alamos, about an hour and a half away.

Said no thanks, and called AAA which we had added RV service to recently. And in under an hour, a guy showed up, aired us up and off we went. We will be cancelling Good Sam roadside, though we will keep the basic membership for campsite discounts. Very disappointed.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #30
Site Team

They all contract with the same local providers.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
They all contract with the same local providers.
I have a hard time believing that since Good Sam told us they had 1 local vendor for tires and one more 45 miles away. I didn't detail this in my original post, but it was also a challenge to even get a hold of someone as we were transferred a couple of times, dropped one call and had to call back and finally got a person in their "tire" division.

AAA just sent a regular tow truck who had an air compressor. And in just under an hour. They don't differentiate between a road service call and a 'tire' specific problem. I suspect this is because Good Sam also offers a separate policy for road hazards on tires.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
I have a hard time believing that since Good Sam told us they had 1 local vendor for tires and one more 45 miles away. I didn't detail this in my original post, but it was also a challenge to even get a hold of someone as we were transferred a couple of times, dropped one call and had to call back and finally got a person in their "tire" division.

AAA just sent a regular tow truck who had an air compressor. And in just under an hour. They don't differentiate between a road service call and a 'tire' specific problem. I suspect this is because Good Sam also offers a separate policy for road hazards on tires.
One of my best friends here has a towing company and repair operation (I even help him out occasionally running one of his trucks when needed). They indeed operate as independent contractors for multiple companies. It may be the case in your situation that in your specific area, Good Sam may not have had a variety of contracted companies to choose from. But as a general rule, you end up with the same pool of towing contractors from multiple companies.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We had AAA RV Plus for many years, but changed around 2014. AAA endorses a proposal to increase fuel taxes for transportation improvements. Went with Good Sam Roadside Assistance, but can't say how they are since we've never had to call on them for anything...yet.
Let me tell you my experience with Good Sam this summer. Long story short; we were in the middle of no where Alabama. 50 miles in either direction to a town with services. After 2 hours on the phone with Good Sam and them having a towing service call me that was not aware I needed truck and 5th wheel towed and they could not take care of me. I went back into the "Twilight Zone" of Good Sam while they started searching again. I took thing into my own hands and 20 minutes and 2-3 calls I had a service coming to tow me and my 5th wheel. (Called the local sheriff for towing companies they were familiar with) Good Sam didn't call me back for another 2 hours (I was already in the campground where I had reservation by then). I filed a claim with Good Sam about a week later and they sent me a check for the full amount that I had paid to get towed. ($650.00) So in the end if you don't get service in a decent amount of time do what I did then file a claim on line with Good Sam. I used them one other time about five years ago with a good experience. Happy Camping out there and God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #34

We had AAA+ RV for more than 15 years. However, they wouldn't come to change our TT tire when we were off to the side of the interstate because it was too dangerous. It took them three hours to show up when we were broke down in the middle of Dallas. They said they couldn't verify my membership. I tried to give them the number of the AZ office, but they wouldn't accept that. The last straw was when we were transferring our fiver title from Ohio to AZ. They noticed the in addition to "FIFTH WHEEL" there was a "TT" on the title which to them meant tractor trailer so they couldn't accept the title. So I went to MVD, waited in line to get the title transferred. We have used Good Sam several times and have been happy with them
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
Let me tell you my experience with Good Sam this summer. Long story short; we were in the middle of no where Alabama. 50 miles in either direction to a town with services. After 2 hours on the phone with Good Sam and them having a towing service call me that was not aware I needed truck and 5th wheel towed and they could not take care of me. I went back into the "Twilight Zone" of Good Sam while they started searching again. I took thing into my own hands and 20 minutes and 2-3 calls I had a service coming to tow me and my 5th wheel. (Called the local sheriff for towing companies they were familiar with) Good Sam didn't call me back for another 2 hours (I was already in the campground where I had reservation by then). I filed a claim with Good Sam about a week later and they sent me a check for the full amount that I had paid to get towed. ($650.00) So in the end if you don't get service in a decent amount of time do what I did then file a claim on line with Good Sam. I used them one other time about five years ago with a good experience. Happy Camping out there and God Bless!
Thanks for the background story, and the tip. I'll keep that in mind if that same scenario comes our way. I think if I'd saved all the money from AAA and Good Sam over the years, I could've bought a tow truck of my own! As I get older, the likelihood of using their services increases every year.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that but I disagree that AAA is not worth it. We had a very low rear tire on our Greyhawk this week in NM. Called Good Sam roadside before 10a local. Guy told me between noon and 1p there would be someone there to air us up.

At 2p, I called back and was told, there was a 5 hour window and that the guy had said noon to 1p as a placeholder so he could locate someone. Then they told me the one service they could find had a truck out in Los Alamos, about an hour and a half away.

Said no thanks, and called AAA which we had added RV service to recently. And in under an hour, a guy showed up, aired us up and off we went. We will be cancelling Good Sam roadside, though we will keep the basic membership for campsite discounts. Very disappointed.
I had the same problem was told a 5 hour wait. I am in Ontario so that may have had something to do with it.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #37

Quote:

Don't you carry an air pump with you?
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I gave them up in 1997 after they would not tow my 64 Monza convertable after throwing a clutch cable pulley.

They put a bunch of fine print in there... they have an out for just about everything.

Same thing (clutch cable) happened to me with my 65 Corsa. That's where I learned you can drive a stick without using the clutch, it just makes things easier...
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
I had the same problem was told a 5 hour wait. I am in Ontario so that may have had something to do with it.
I should have specified issues with Good Sam
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:00 AM   #40
VKC

Good Sam Club
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote