Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Aggravating Phone Calls

I put my jayco on craigslist for sale and have had 2 people that won't quit calling me. One was rv sellers network and I don't remember the name of the other but the premise is the same.

The one with the Chicago number (rv sellers network) just called for the 3rd time and I hung up on them.
The premise is the same:
I have my jayco advertised for 15000, they can get me 17000. Chicago number wants $400 up front, the Las Vegas number wants $299 up front.

I said "well just go ahead and sell it then and take the $400 out of the $17000. I'll tell you what you can even take $1000 out of the $17000."

We can't do that sir.

No kidding.

I've had 2 texts both wanting to buy it. One "woman" is an Ocean Engineer" and is naturally out at sea so she wants my paypal addy so she can put the money in there and send a moving company to pick it up. She's buying it for her Dad.

One "man" is a serviceman and is overseas defending our country. He can't get home and wants to put the money in my paypal account and send a moving company to pick it up. He's also buying it for his dad.

I haven't swore at anyof these people yet, but I'm getting close.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I put my jayco on craigslist for sale and have had 2 people that won't quit calling me. ....

Don't give your Paypal addy. I've read where people buy things, then they claim it was not as advertised etc and Paypal refunds the $$ before the seller even gets to explain otherwise. I tell those people, Kindly do it via Bank Transfer, but use a different email account for your bank than you do for Paypal. I still had some guy try my email on paypal and of course it worked. Not anymore :-). Thankfully the sale went fine and I didn't have to worry about it.

Can't help you on the other inquiries but somethings fishy if you need to put up $$ first. Think you caught on to that one pretty quick. I also do not include my Phone number on those Craiglist, Kijiji ads anymore. Just email.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Don't give your Paypal addy. I've read where people buy things, then they claim it was not as advertised etc and Paypal refunds the $$ before the seller even gets to explain otherwise. I tell those people, Kindly do it via Bank Transfer, but use a different email account for your bank than you do for Paypal. I still had some guy try my email on paypal and of course it worked. Not anymore :-). Thankfully the sale went fine and I didn't have to worry about it.

Can't help you on the other inquiries but somethings fishy if you need to put up $$ first. Think you caught on to that one pretty quick. I also do not include my Phone number on those Craiglist, Kijiji ads anymore. Just email.
6 years ago or more I bought some new callaway x forged irons off a woman in St. Louis. For a great price. Off of ebay.

Paid with paypal.

Then I got a notice I owed customs due at the post office. Some chinese had hacked this woman's ebay account and sold these chinese forgeries to me.
I filed a claim and got my money back. I also got to keep the clubs. I showed them to my pro, he hit them and told me they weren't legit, but they were identical to his. The heads and shafts are made there, people steal them and then sell them on the black market, they just don't get Callaway's registration number.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Putting your phone number on a Craigslist ad is an absolute no no! Edit your ad and remove your phone number. People will use the "Reply" feature in the Craigslist ad and Craigslist will forward the email to your email. What happens is Craigslist is your mediator and at any time you don't want to get anymore emails from a particular person you can use the link in the email to have them stopped. Even when in the email they ask for your phone number, just tell them you would prefer email. You need to figure out if they are legit first by using Craigslist email. I just sold my 07' Jayco by using Craigslist and the buyer and I had several emails back and forth prior to giving a phone and address. I also insisted on cash only.
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Several years ago we converted our sticks and bricks home phone to a VOIP phone on the Callcentric system. It is a lot cheaper than regular phone service, and gives many call screening choices. For example, only phone calls from numbers we have approved can cause our phone to ring. Others get a message to press a number to leave a voice mail for us. If the number is not pressed - therefore a robo call - the call is disconnected without a message. When we get a voicemail, we get an e-mail alert and a SMS (cell phone text) alert.

We get almost no crap calls now; and if a crap call gets through, we can very easily block that particular number.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

And a further 'scam' regarding vehicles is getting them 'successfully' re-registered in the buyer's name. In California, it is suggested [1] do the cash/cashier's check at your bank branch closest to the DMV and [2] finish the transaction at the DMV or AAA office where you transition the registration. Advance warning to the purchaser of both of these requirements tend to scare-off non-legit purchasers. Eons ago we did a private sale of a car but didn't do the DMV portion and sure-enough they got a citation (could have been an accident just as easily) ... we were the registered owners of record until we provided photocopies of our signed-over pink slip and bank transaction details.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

I can't recall the option but there is a check box that puts a notice on the ad that says "do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers". If that's on your ad now then tell the 2 services that they are not to call you back under any circumstances. If they do you will file a complaint with your state's consumer protection agency or attorney general's office.

The texts are typical scams. Either ignore them or tell them if they show up with cash it's theirs.

I've sold vehicles and several other things through Craig's list and have never had issues. I start with email and if the replies are local and sound legit then I'll give them my phone number.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I put my jayco on craigslist for sale and have had 2 people that won't quit calling me. One was rv sellers network and I don't remember the name of the other but the premise is the same.

The one with the Chicago number (rv sellers network) just called for the 3rd time and I hung up on them.
The premise is the same:
I have my jayco advertised for 15000, they can get me 17000. Chicago number wants $400 up front, the Las Vegas number wants $299 up front.

I said "well just go ahead and sell it then and take the $400 out of the $17000. I'll tell you what you can even take $1000 out of the $17000."

We can't do that sir.

No kidding.

I've had 2 texts both wanting to buy it. One "woman" is an Ocean Engineer" and is naturally out at sea so she wants my paypal addy so she can put the money in there and send a moving company to pick it up. She's buying it for her Dad.

One "man" is a serviceman and is overseas defending our country. He can't get home and wants to put the money in my paypal account and send a moving company to pick it up. He's also buying it for his dad.

This is common. Did you list your phone number and or e-mail and not just the craigslist response?

If you edit your listing and put your contact info is as some words or with extra spacing a lot of this "phishing" is eliminated. For instance 55five - one 234-five678.

I never put any contact info and if someone sincerely wants to contact you then they will go through the proper channel of communication.

Also to get rid of the RV sales guy if you are eligible for the "do not call registry" you can file your number with it and make a claim with said company if they continue to call. Only Co's you do business with can call you.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 AM   #9

We are currently selling our Expedition. I was getting those phishing texts too. I did as 3'senough suggested and partially spelled out my number. Seems to of worked so far. Here is a great article about craigslist scams.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

What's all the fuss with teh intarwebs?

My last trailer sold in 2 days for my price after I chained it to a telephone pole by the side of the road.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
And a further 'scam' regarding vehicles is getting them 'successfully' re-registered in the buyer's name. In California, it is suggested [1] do the cash/cashier's check at your bank branch closest to the DMV and [2] finish the transaction at the DMV or AAA office where you transition the registration. Advance warning to the purchaser of both of these requirements tend to scare-off non-legit purchasers. Eons ago we did a private sale of a car but didn't do the DMV portion and sure-enough they got a citation (could have been an accident just as easily) ... we were the registered owners of record until we provided photocopies of our signed-over pink slip and bank transaction details.
Hi, that's why in Calif you should always file a 'Release of Liability' form with DMV dated the day of the sale. This way you will not be responsible for ant accidents or citations after the sale.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Several years ago we converted our sticks and bricks home phone to a VOIP phone on the Callcentric system. It is a lot cheaper than regular phone service, and gives many call screening choices. For example, only phone calls from numbers we have approved can cause our phone to ring. Others get a message to press a number to leave a voice mail for us. If the number is not pressed - therefore a robo call - the call is disconnected without a message. When we get a voicemail, we get an e-mail alert and a SMS (cell phone text) alert.

We get almost no crap calls now; and if a crap call gets through, we can very easily block that particular number.
We have the very same options with our Ooma VOIP service, love it, no more robo calls.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Hi, that's why in Calif you should always file a 'Release of Liability' form with DMV dated the day of the sale. This way you will not be responsible for ant accidents or citations after the sale.
Absolutely - and have always done that, BUT it doesn't always keep you free "of the process" so it just closes all loops when the deal is closed at the DMV.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

All scams. I have never had a retailer ask me for money up front on a consignment sale. The person claiming to be stationed overseas is probably also a fraud. I had a guy try the same thing on me and when I told him to look me up and contact me via AKO mail (the Army's internal e-mail service) I suddenly stopped hearing from him.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #15

I do the emails through craigslist initially to make sure they sound legit. In my ad, I also add that I will only deal in person.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote