Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #221
Site Team

I do hope you find it. Good luck!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
Hello from Austin gentlemen,
Like my beautiful late father we both missed Eagle by only a handful of badges. I blame girls not folks. Lol. I will share with you all something very special to me. My daddy passed away just this past August. When going through his things I not only found his original Boy Scout handbook dated 1959 but mine as well right next to it dated 1988.
That '88 edition looks familiar. That was my brother's era in Scouts, he went through before me and earned his Eagle in the midnight hours before his 18th. And I referred to it often during my tenure in the '90s (earned Eagle in '95 I think it was, WELL before my 18th). I still have my later edition (actually I have a couple), and thankfully I know exactly where they are.

Quote:
JayFlight I hope you find it. I have heavy heart as I continue to look for our BS knife. I used daddies knife all through my scouting.. which for me lasted almost to college. Lol slow learner. It was a “western” Boy Scout knife and I am so fearful to have lost it. The fiancé and I have one last storage unit to explore in Fort Worth once time allows and I have fingers crossed I find it.

Wish me luck guys. You all know what it would mean!
I do wish you the best of luck! Those things become SO precious. I carried a folding Buck knife my dad gave me for all my years in Scouting, and I still carry it in my hunting pack to this day. It doesn't get much use these days as I have better tools for the jobs at hand, but I still carry it anyway. Perhaps it's a bit of a talisman for me; I just can't seem to NOT put it in my pack when I go through it each season... I look at it, feel its heft, check its edge (it remains sharp because I keep it that way) recognize that it's just so much extra weight, reminisce the memories surrounding that heavy hunk of wood and steel, and put it right back in the pack...

Then at least once a season, I try to get some blood on it to ripen its spirit and let it know I still remember...

Thanks for the memories, that was nice. I think I'll break it out this weekend when I'm in the field with my dad...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That '88 edition looks familiar. That was my brother's era in Scouts, he went through before me and earned his Eagle in the midnight hours before his 18th. And I referred to it often during my tenure in the '90s (earned Eagle in '95 I think it was, WELL before my 18th). I still have my later edition (actually I have a couple), and thankfully I know exactly where they are.

I do wish you the best of luck! Those things become SO precious. I carried a folding Buck knife my dad gave me for all my years in Scouting, and I still carry it in my hunting pack to this day. It doesn't get much use these days as I have better tools for the jobs at hand, but I still carry it anyway. Perhaps it's a bit of a talisman for me; I just can't seem to NOT put it in my pack when I go through it each season... I look at it, feel its heft, check its edge (it remains sharp because I keep it that way) recognize that it's just so much extra weight, reminisce the memories surrounding that heavy hunk of wood and steel, and put it right back in the pack...

Then at least once a season, I try to get some blood on it to ripen its spirit and let it know I still remember...

Thanks for the memories, that was nice. I think I'll break it out this weekend when I'm in the field with my dad...
I love that other guys are as sentimental as I am on certain things. Break that rascal out and ripen its spirit as you so perfectly put it. I’m happy to show you my granddaddies BS knife he carried back in the day. Approx late 1920’s the dirt and green on it is from what he was doing with it last.
Attached Thumbnails
8C8F065F-C8A4-4EEF-9F40-EB85630890F0.jpg  
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #224
Site Team

Just got the Eagle documentation back from National. I now have three Eagle Scout sons!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Just got the Eagle documentation back from National. I now have three Eagle Scout sons!
Huge congrats sir. I know you’re super proud!!
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #226
Site Team

Quote:
Huge congrats sir. I know you’re super proud!!
Yes sir, it's been quite a journey! They all started in Tiger Cubs.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #227
Site Team

BTW I have my dad's Scout book from circa 1940, and mine from the 70s. Will see if I can take a pic. I also have my uniform and neckerchief.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #228
Site Team

I'm glad you mentioned that first. I, too, still have my uniform and neckerchief, with the patches still on it. It's from the 60's, and for some reason it doesn't fit any more! After all this time, it SHRUNK!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 01-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #229
Lost in the Woods

Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts. I spent a fair amount of years involved as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster and Committee Chairman and more. Lots of good memories.

I just got back home a little while ago, I have two grandsons who have started on their trail through Cub Scouts. I bought their pack a new Pinewood Derby track, and just helped set it up for tomorrow's big race day.

My daughter is the Committee Chairman for the Pack, so she's trying to get the next generation of boys in the family started on their early Trail to Eagle.

Ready for race day!!
Attached Thumbnails
track1.jpg   track2.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #230
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts. I spent a fair amount of years involved as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster and Committee Chairman and more. Lots of good memories.

I just got back home a little while ago, I have two grandsons who have started on their trail through Cub Scouts. I bought their pack a new Pinewood Derby track, and just helped set it up for tomorrow's big race day.

My daughter is the Committee Chairman for the Pack, so she's trying to get the next generation of boys in the family started on their early Trail to Eagle.
That's a great thing. There's not much around any more, promoting Scouts. Just the occasional article in the news, that I hate to see.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 01-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #231
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's a great thing. There's not much around any more, promoting Scouts. Just the occasional article in the news, that I hate to see.
I agree, many people just don't see the value in the Scouting program these days... it's really sad. I'm glad my daughter sees the value, now if I can only get my son-in-law up to speed....
Old 01-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #232
Site Team

That's a really neat track. Ours was home made out of wood, but eventually we added the computer program and starting to it
Old 01-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #233

Oh my goodness I still have my cars. Tomorrow morning I’ll dig around and find them and shoot you guys pictures. Such great memories thank you all.
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #234
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Oh my goodness I still have my cars. Tomorrow morning I’ll dig around and find them and shoot you guys pictures. Such great memories thank you all.
Something similar, I was digging around for a car to use to test the track, found one in a toy bin the grandkids play in. It was my youngest son's car, probably from 20+ years ago.... and all 4 wheels were still on it and it still rolled... Ha...
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #235
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That's a really neat track. Ours was home made out of wood, but eventually we added the computer program and starting to it
I thought about building one out of wood, but I figured... go big, or go home, so I bought the good aluminum one. The new timing and scoring programs and scoring tower is really cool. The thing took forever to do the originally assembly of the track sections, but it was worth it.

Those grandsons better win tomorrow!!
Old 01-10-2020, 11:04 PM   #236

Quote:
I thought about building one out of wood, but I figured... go big, or go home, so I bought the good aluminum one. The new timing and scoring programs and scoring tower is really cool. The thing took forever to do the originally assembly of the track sections, but it was worth it.

We’re all pulling for them! Go kids go
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #237

Check these hot rods out. I actually found them. Only one wheel missing.
Attached Thumbnails
8FC89012-28CA-4BDA-92E9-600378A88857.jpg  
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
Old 01-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #238
Site Team

I just retired from my second stint as Scout Master, currently Asst Scout Master for the second time. I was also a Webelos leader three times, and have held one of more of these positions since 1996. My DW held various den leader roles as well as Cub Master. 5 of my Webelos have become Eagle Scouts, and a 6th is working on his project.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #239
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Well, we had a pretty good day. Youngest grandson, who's a Wolf, ended up coming in 3rd in that group. There were 29 Wolves running (it's a big Pack, with over 100 Scouts), so they run races by rank first, and the top 3 advance to a Pack run off. So he went on to the final for the Wolves.

Oldest grandson (who's a Webelos 1) came in first in his den/group, and moved on to the final.

In the final, youngest grandson's car slowed down, so he finished out of the podium. Oldest grandson went on to win every one of his heats. So he came in 1st in the complete pack. His car held speed and never dropped off. One point of reference, his dad/my son-in-law, builds/races real race cars, so he knows a little bit about going fast, so he apparently applied some of that knowledge to the derby car.

And, by finishing top three in their respected dens, they both go on to race in the district event in a month or so.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #240

I had a great time in scouts as a kid and dropped out sometime in high school after going to Philmont. I have a son that's a Webelo 2 now and just a few months away from crossing over....but he doesn't want to continue. I keep telling him Boy Scouts is a different adventure but he doesn't seem to care. It's a bit frustrating to see so many Cub Scout packs in my area that are on the verge of failing and can't keep kids interested. I've asked or own pack leader to consolidate with another struggling pack 10 minutes away but it fell on deaf ears.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote