Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #201

I joined Boy Scouts in 1969 in Madison Wisconsin. My very first overnight was the Winter overnight and it got down to -18F. Every guy there was REQUIRED to completely change into dry clothing before bed because we had been out in the snow doing merit badge qualifications, horsing around, snow fort building, etc. That meant we were sweaty under our layers of clothes and that wet long underwear gets real cold, real fast.
We slept on straw provided by a local farmer and set up lean-to shelters using our ponchos, two guys per shelter. At the open end of the lean-to we built small fires and each person had a pile of wood to add if they woke up cold. Managed to survive but only one car (my dad's) started the next morning. Probably because it had 100K and not much compression.
Our troop, 27, had at one point over 100 boys although maybe only 20-25 went on this particular overnight.
I thank my few years in Scouting in shaping me into a person always willing to help and always prepared. We moved so I only made First Class.

Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #202
Site Team

Good to hear all these scouting stories, keep the coming!

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #203

Since I've very, very late to this thread I'll be quick, for me at least. My sister joined the Brownies in about 1951 and graduated to the Girl Scouts probably 2 years later. I joined the Brownies in probably 1953 and that troup changed from Brownies to Blue Birds and I didn't like them much so I quit.

The saddest thing is only one of us went camping. My sister and Mom did when we lived in N.Y. Mom said it was miserable. they weren't Mom was an assistant Scout leader at the time Scout Master the whole time my sister and I scouted.

All your adventures sound so fun, I wish we'd been doing things like that. I hope there are more.
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux 'b Doux View Post
Since I've very, very late to this thread I'll be quick, for me at least. My sister joined the Brownies in about 1951 and graduated to the Girl Scouts probably 2 years later. I joined the Brownies in probably 1953 and that troup changed from Brownies to Blue Birds and I didn't like them much so I quit.

The saddest thing is only one of us went camping. My sister and Mom did when we lived in N.Y. Mom said it was miserable. they weren't Mom was an assistant Scout leader at the time Scout Master the whole time my sister and I scouted.

All your adventures sound so fun, I wish we'd been doing things like that. I hope there are more.
I always found it sad that the girls didn't get to do the fun stuff in Girl Scouts that we got to do in Boy Scouts. In my area we had a small group of "Explorers" that was co-ed, but it was a small group indeed, with very limited resources.

My nieces are both Girl Scouts (oldest just got her lifetime membership as a graduation gift), and because of their parents, they got to do more of the "fun stuff" than most I hear about.

It makes me glad that girls can now be included in the BSA. Despite all if the inherent logistical difficulties, I think girls should get to do all the fun stuff too. I know that's a bit of a "hot button" issue for some, but that's about where I land on it. As part of one of my leadership retreats in scouts (NJLIC at Philmont), we explored the possibility of including females in our ranks. And that was back in the mid-90s; interesting to see where we are almost 30 years later.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE (Sold)
-2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73 (Sold)
-Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503) (For Sale)
-Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #205

I am an adult Boy Scout leader and have been active in the Great Trail Council for 25 years. Ask me about Wood Badge!

Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote