Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #161

I joined Cub Scouts and quickly burned out on 'crafts'. Stayed out till I was 13 when my parents forced me to attend a meeting of Troop 67 in Atlanta. Seven new kids joined that night - and since I was the oldest the Scoutmaster decided I should be the patrol leader. I was hooked and stayed actively involved in scouting for the next 25 years.
Never made Eagle - I tried but given the required waiting periods between ranks, starting at almost 14 I just couldn't make it past Life by 18.
Served as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, District Order of the Arrow adviser, Trainer. Led 5 trips to Philmont, 2 Jamborees and 3 National OA conferences and was awarded the Silver Beaver.
Then my job changed and so did my life. I started traveling internationally for work - being gone months at a time. I also had 2 girls who had NO interest in Girl Scouts. So I turned the Troop over to my Asst. SM and he's been running it for the last 25 years. Sadly, I never had time to get re-involved.

My experiences in Scouting, and especially at Philmont, quite literally changed my life in so many ways. I found God on the top of Tooth of Time Ridge - seriously. And I still have many friends from those great years in Scouting.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I joined Cub Scouts and quickly burned out on 'crafts'. Stayed out till I was 13 when my parents forced me to attend a meeting of Troop 67 in Atlanta. Seven new kids joined that night - and since I was the oldest the Scoutmaster decided I should be the patrol leader. I was hooked and stayed actively involved in scouting for the next 25 years.
Never made Eagle - I tried but given the required waiting periods between ranks, starting at almost 14 I just couldn't make it past Life by 18.
Served as Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, District Order of the Arrow adviser, Trainer. Led 5 trips to Philmont, 2 Jamborees and 3 National OA conferences and was awarded the Silver Beaver.
Then my job changed and so did my life. I started traveling internationally for work - being gone months at a time. I also had 2 girls who had NO interest in Girl Scouts. So I turned the Troop over to my Asst. SM and he's been running it for the last 25 years. Sadly, I never had time to get re-involved.

My experiences in Scouting, and especially at Philmont, quite literally changed my life in so many ways. I found God on the top of Tooth of Time Ridge - seriously. And I still have many friends from those great years in Scouting.
Lots of great scouting stories in this thread, but yours stands out. That's some very distinguished service.

I hope to get my son involved. I can't wait to get back out on the trails with my pack again. The mountains are already calling, and he's only 2 years old. DW won't go with us, but she'll keep our "base camp" nice and warm for us!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #163

I was a Cub Scout in the mid 50's, for some reason I never found Boy Scouts, then was an Explorer Scout in the early 60's.

In the summer of '62 and '63 I took two 8 day canoe trips out of Charles L. Somers canoe base on Moose Lake MN into the Boundary Waters and across the border into the Quetico. Those were definitely the highlight of my scouting career - incredible trips into what was still a real wilderness back then - my first real camping experience. In 8 days it was just an unfortunate accident if you ran across even one other group the entire time. We paddled and portaged 94 miles the first year and 140 miles the second. The best part was that the entire trip cost $37.50 each (not counting gas to drive up there from the Twin Cities area).

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #164

I'm now enjoying it all over again with my grandson here in Bellingham. I don't know where the time went, it seems like yesterday when I first started camping with the scouts.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #165

Greta times remembered.

I helped my son with his cub and webelies time and became assistant Scout master and Scoutmaster when he got to Boy Scouts. I didn't get to be in scouting when I was a boy so had to experience it as an adult. My son earned his Eagle and a bronze palm and then we went on to Explorers. I was the Explorer leader for him as well. I then went on to be Unit Comissioner and District Commissioner earning my Woodbridge along the way. I taught commissioners at a College of Comissioner Science at Carson City, NV for several years. I eventually earned the Silver Beaver award and Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. The time I spent with all those young men was priceless and I treasure every moment. The highlight of my scouting time was a 50 mile canoe trip at the Charles Summers boundary waters in Minnesota taken with my wife and son and several other boys and adults.
Jarm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #166

Really, there were more "highlights" than I can count in my scouting career, but canoeing the Boundary Waters in MN stands near the top. That was an absolutely fantastic trip that I will never forget.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #167

25 years total. The adult stuff includes

Scouter: signing the front of the check
District Award of Merit
Vigil Honor OA
Scoutmaster
Venturing Advisor
Commissioner

Professional: signing the back of the check
Camp Director
Laguna Station High Adventure Sea Base on South Padre Island Texas
District Exec
Soccer and Scouting
Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Was a scout in the 70s, part of the time in Troop 1, arguably the oldest troop this side of the Mississippi.
I too just saw this thread. Dustdevil, did you ever make it up to Camp Whitsett in northern Kern county? That was always such a wonderful week of camping.
I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout with Troop 2 in Saugus, along with my older brothers back in the late 60's to mid 70's. We did a lot of backpacking trips in those days. The most memorable was our trek up Mt. Whitney when I was 14. While camping at the base camp in late August it snowed on us. Fun times for a kid.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:26 AM   #169

Texas city Texas Boy Scouts troop 246
and cub scouts also,my mom was a Den mother
Good times !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
I too just saw this thread. Dustdevil, did you ever make it up to Camp Whitsett in northern Kern county? That was always such a wonderful week of camping.
I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout with Troop 2 in Saugus, along with my older brothers back in the late 60's to mid 70's. We did a lot of backpacking trips in those days. The most memorable was our trek up Mt. Whitney when I was 14. While camping at the base camp in late August it snowed on us. Fun times for a kid.
My boys have gone to Camp Whitsett a couple of summers now!

My oldest son is doing his Eagle project this weekend. Installing a flagpole and memorial plaque for fallen FBI agents at a government training facility here in SoCal. Pictures to follow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert RVers View Post
Funny you should ask. Yes, I did visit Whitsett as a scout one summer, when I was with Troop 385 in Las Virgenes. Most summers I was back east visiting my mother until the week before school started up. But that one summer I did get to Whitsett. After I transferred to Troop 1 in Huntington Beach, I never attended summer camp until years later, when my two sons were in Troop 1, and I was among the adult leadership. At that point, I attended nearly every summer camp in a lot of different locations. Catalina Island, Lake Arrowhead, Holcomb Valley.

I recall Whitsett well. We used the B-A slide constantly. Took a patrol overnighter that turned us right around when we walked into camp around 8pm to find rattlesnakes on our sleeping bags. Did the mile swim in frigid water, and canoed ourselves silly.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #172

This is a variation on a question I asked Scouts at their Eagle BoR.

For the folks here . . . If I walked by your campsite how would I know you are or were a Scout?

For me I'm probably wearing something with a BSA logo. My knots are well tied and pretty. My campsite is leave no trace clean and I'll leave it better than when I got there.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

For the folks here . . . If I walked by your campsite how would I know you are or were a Scout?

For me I'm probably wearing something with a BSA logo. My knots are well tied and pretty. My campsite is leave no trace clean and I'll leave it better than when I got there.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Hmmm.. you probably wouldn't.
Well, I do have a boy scout edition, Henry .22 lever action rifle if that counts I was in the cub scouts, webelos, boy scouts, and moved out of state as I was getting my eagle scout, fast forward 5 years or so, then did 8 years in the Army.

Other than the items you mentioned about keeping a clean camp spot and policing up other peoples trash, and I'm not sure if that's limited to ex-scouts, there's no way anyone would know for sure.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #174

Unlikely you'd know I was a scout by my campsite. Perhaps a bit of a "neat-freak" though. Maybe if you appreciate high-quality, well-taken-care-of gear, cleanliness, etc... But those things are not exclusive to scouts; though, that's where I learned about those things. Our site is always neat and tidy. Gear is stowed unless being used, and there's no trash lying about (mine or others').

If I'm helping someone, sometimes people will ask. If I'm tying a knot, they know. Sometimes I wear my old (VERY OLD) NJLIC t-shirt, but the logo on that is really small, and to date, no one has recognized it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #175

All Scouters past and present please report

I'm 65 now. I still have quite a bit of Scouting equipment that I used as a boy.
I have a full-size ax, a hatchet, field shovel, aluminum Dutch oven pliers, all with BSA logos on them.
I have a bunch of other equipment that I've had since the 60s that don't have BSA logos but were used as a scout.
If you have good equipment, and you take great care of it, it lasts.

But most telltale is my Philmont Belt and buckle. If I've got blue jeans on my Philmont belt is on. Can't count the number of times that belt has been a conversation starter with a Scout or Scouter.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #176

Second generation scout here, and my son is the third. I stupidly lost interest as a Life Scout (so close!) and dropped out at the age of 16. My son is flying doing great, though, and is a Star Scout at the age of 12. He'll hit life in January or February, despite taking time out from scouting during the spring and fall for a demanding travel soccer schedule. When soccer became an issue, there was talk of him dropping out, but my wife and I decided it was critical that he finish. Thankfully, we worked it out with the troop that he would be very active during the summer and winter, despite being somewhat invisible during the rest of the year. Scouting teaches self-reliance, leadership, and a host of other things. Plus, of course, being an Eagle Scout looks really good on a college application!

The funny thing is that our son is so much of a Scout that he sticks his nose in the air at the thought of sleeping in our HTT. He actually seems to despise the thing. So, when we can we let him sleep in a tent next to the camper.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #177
Site Team

Scouting`s Leave No Trace Principles;

The Principles of Leave No Trace
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #178

Younger brother and I were Cub Scouts, Webelos & then Boy Scouts in the mid 1970's.
Both of us really love camping. Although we're too old to sleep on the ground in a tent anymore.
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post

"Good day. Permission to enter your camp."
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #180

I never attended Philmont as a scout. As long as our troop was around (begun in 1917), the troop itself had never put together its own contingent to do a Philmont Trek. So, I volunteered to be the adult advisor for the first in 2001. We did a 11 day trek, and it was excellent. All older scouts, and only one on that fine edge of eligibility due to weight vs height requirements. My older son was the trek leader, and the boys all did an excellent job! We did have a wide range of hiking speed levels, and we did break two rules. First was that we took radios to keep the group in contact, and second was that we brought a satellite phone so we could have a conference call back to the troop meeting during the trek on two consecutive Monday evenings during their meeting. This was to spark interest among the younger scouts in the direction of a future trek, of which they have now had several. I can tell you it was a great experience all around. We experienced the onset of rain and thunder earlier and earlier every day, to the point that the second to last day was stormy the entire time on the trail. They got a great experience in inclement weather camping. The boys chose their own trek, and left having had an excellent experience all around. They were really impressed with the tour of Villa Philmonte. We arrived home just in time, as the attack of 9-11 occurred about 3 days after we returned home, and would have grounded us in New Mexico until we could find ground transport back to the coast.

Today, I have paid my dues, and have slept my share of time in tents and right out under the stars at times. So, the upgraded foam mattress in the Seneca is well earned, and a welcome payback for all those nights on the ground.