Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Always check the simple things first

This last week I took my boys camping, momma had to work. We get to the site the I turn on the hot water. Come dinner time when I'm washing the dishes I notice the Hot Water is only semi hot (perfect bath water but too cold to wash dishes type of deal) . So I go out and check the burner, it fires up right away burns for a 10 minutes, high flame, everything looks and sounds normal. I check the connections, everything is ok! I check the thermostats, take off the foam thingy, take them out work the spring, smell for fired electronics. Nothing. So I figure the cheapest thing to replace is the thermostats so I'll start there. I order new ones and have them over nighted to the CG. The next night I install the new ones, but the problem persists. So I resolve to take it in when we get back. My eight year old opens the cabinet where hot water heater is and points out that the valve that goes between the hot and cold water is OPEN, then he suggests that the cold water is probably mixing with the hot. I say nah I've never messed with that valve. My 4 year old starts giggling-- Tricked ya daddy! He's lucky it was only a 12 dollar part. But he taught me a lesson check the simple stuff first, then integrate the kids.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #2

For me that joke might be funny a couple weeks later -- but I would probably be pretty annoyed with my kids in the moment.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

I was-- no smores for him
Look we do practical jokes in my family-- he just has to learn the boundaries (he just turned 4).

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #4

My dealer warned me about that when we bought our Jayco. My old Nash had a single valve for the winterization kit. You simply cut off the cold water entry at the base of the WH. That forced the water to go through a one way check valve around the bypass. Another one way check valve at the output of the WH kept cold water from back feeding into the WH.

I'm not sure why Jayco didn't incorporate check valves, but now I will have to remember to turn all the valves. Hopefully its only a once or twice a year issue to learn!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote