Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

And your ancestors traveled how??

Granted, I'm interested in history and genealogy, but there IS a connection for many of us to our ancestors who traveled in somewhat of a similar manner - for example think of the westward wagon-trains (e.g., Oregon Trail, California Trail, Bozeman Trail, Mormon Trail and hand-cart pioneers), caravanners (typically within Europe), and working in traveling shows (circus, vaudeville, etc.).

OK, the living conditions weren't as nice as what we have with our RVs, but are you continuing their adventure? Have you followed some of the same routes? Did you ever muse about this link to your past? BTW, feel free to share here or to join and contribute to the Jayco Forum - Community/Social Group focusing on GENEALOGY.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

The numbers show over 25k names on my online tree. Started with almost none, but did know a few old family stories.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

My ancestors traveled by foot.

Then some bloke created this "wheel" thing.

The world ain't been right since!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

I actually have a picture somewhere of my Great Grandma (everyone called her "Little Grandma" because she was small) when she was a couple years old, with her family, all standing around a covered wagon they were traveling in. The dog was there too.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

My family settled on the east coast. We were either lazy or smart... depends on your point of view
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

I don't fit the mold at all!!! I just love to see what is over the next hill!! I live on the same farm my family farmed during the battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Can't help but think that a gypsy stopped by and got a glass of milk from Ma when Pa was out in the south 40
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Team

My grand parents arrived in New York and purchased one of the first Jayco's manufactured. Drove it to Chicago and the rest is history. Have a picture of the RV they used... amazing, if you blow up the picture you can see a lot of the tools used.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
JAYCO - Car Show 1st RV new.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
My grand parents arrived in New York and purchased one of the first Jayco's manufactured. Drove it to Chicago and the rest is history. Have a picture of the RV they used... amazing, if you blow up the picture you can see a lot of the tools used.
Don
Huh, and I thought that was a later model
Old 12-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

That Amish quality was evident even back then!
Quote:
Don
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Drove it to Chicago and the rest is history.
Hey Don, you're sure they drove it to Chicago and not to Beverly Hills? Could it be that Jethro was your uncle?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #11

Didn't take the RV, but I did trace the route as close as possible on my motorcycle and camping along the way from what is now Jackboro, Tx to Colony, Ok.. My 2 great grandfather had moved his family to this area back when it was still mostly Indian territory. They were one of three families that basically settled this area before the Civil War and are mentioned often in a book about the early beginnings titled "They Came To Stay". When my grandfather was 3, his father (my great grandfather) moved his family to the Indian territory which became the State of Oklahoma before the "Great Runs" in a covered wagon sometime around 1890. He was a founding member of the Seger group that established one of the first Native American Agricultural and Technical Education schools in the Oklahoma territory. What original was called Seger Colony, became Colony, Ok.. The family homestead is still in the family. I actually camped one night in the vicinity where they crossed the Red River. It was a strange feeling. because when they got to the Red River, my great grandfather and his eldest son crossed the river with the livestock, leaving my great grandmother and the younger children on the Texas side. A nor'wester moved in before they could cross back over and it rained for 3 days flooding the Red River. My great grandmother and the 3 youngest children were trapped on the Texas side for a week before the waters receded enough for my great grandfather and his son to get back across to get them. The really amazing thing is my grandfather moved to Oklahoma in a covered wagon, grew up there, worked and fought in WWI with many of the Native Americans from the School, and raised a family.......my father was a Director in the Space Program and my grandfather lived long enough to see all of the Apollo Program flights and the first Shuttle launch and landing in person. Now that is an amazing life line if you ask me.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
Now that is an amazing life line if you ask me.
It sure is!!!
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #13

It sure is!!! We had a neighbor lady a cross the road from our farm that was told by her grandmother of hearing the guns at Gettysburg. That's about 50 miles as the crow flies. It makes you understand that what we might perceive as old history is not all that old after all!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #14

My ancestors bought the TV first only to realize having plenty of pulling power came with a stiff suspension and questionable handling. We still have it in the family today.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote