Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #21

Barking Dogs

This is the first time in 40 years we have not had a dog.I kinda like it DW can not wait to get another.Anyways we kinda feel pets are just a reflection of there owners!Some noisy sum not!
Attached Thumbnails
BB.Flag 2008 Pinegrove.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #22
Site Team

Interesting that this came up again. About 3 weeks ago a big fiver came into the CG, down at the end of our row and yes there was a LOUD barking dog with them. They left the dog out tied to the TV over night and I woke up constantly by the barking. The next morning, the CG owner was over there talking to them about the barking and the next thing I saw was the fiver leaving. They had been evicted. Probably the barking dog #1 and verbal .... #2. All the close by campers were SO HAPPY!!

Maybe the weekenders LOUD motorcycles will be next.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #23

It's not the dog or the generator ruining our campgrounds, it's the idiots without manners. LOVE IT!

We camp with our 3 min pins, we love those dogs. I wanted a popup or hybrid, but our dogs can get yappy if they hear something outside, so we got a hard sided camper. We leave them inside in a cage if we are gone for the day, but we always leave the radio on. Unless someone walks by and makes a ruckus, they are quiet when we are gone. I know this because we camp in a group quite often and my bride will sometimes call to check on the dogs.

The problem is with PEOPLE. Maybe the dog needs to go out, maybe the dog is lonely, maybe the dog is hungry, maybe the dog is startled. They are barking for some reason and shame on the owner for failing to understand and react.

We will have our dogs out with us while we are lounging during the day or cooking. The only thing that sets them off is strangers walking through our site (I don't yell at the dogs for that...) or other dogs being walked in closer proximity to us ( I usually quiet them, or just let the "offending" dog walk past). Shame on owners who fail to control their children, their dogs, their music and their lights. If everyone stopped, stepped back, and considered that there are other people in the world besides them we would have a lot more enjoyable time!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This is so good it should be on a bumper sticker!! I couldn't have put it better.

In the short time I have been on this forum, the question of dogs in the campground has come up at least a couple of times. I don't remember if I posted this in the last thread on this subject, but I'll add it here again.

I first want to say that I am a dog lover and have handled highly trained German Shepherd dogs for better part of the last 20 years. I currently have a 3.5 year old GSD that is so good that you can literally set a gun off next to him and he will not move without hearing his command word or my hand signal. With that said, I will not bring him camping or traveling with us under any circumstance. There is just too much liability. When we are away, he is at the kennel or with his trainer. Too many dogs running loose, unattended children, etc. to take the chance.

Now with that said, I don't mind other peoples dogs in a campground. The vast majority of the time, there isn't an issue. But, what drives me crazy are those that just let their dogs run, leave them out of their trailer without a leash, or leave them unattended for extended periods for others in the campground to have to deal with them. To put it bluntly, if you choose to travel with your animals for whatever reason, then take proper care of them and responsibility for them.

Since I'm on a rant, I'll add this. I get a great chuckle out of the fake "therapy" or "companion" animals that keep popping up at public places over the last couple of years. Anyone who knows anything about dog training or working dogs can spot an untrained animal a mile away. All this does is make it harder for those who actually need a service animal or who handle working dogs.

Rant off. Sorry
I was on Amtrak 3 1/2 years ago from Birmingham, AL to Washington, D.C. This train went on to New York City after Washington. Just prior to boarding in Birmingham a couple arrived with with a massive dog. Very well groomed and I mean VERY WELL groomed. The dog was wearing a Service Animal vest. Both human companions didn't appear to need any service animal assistance and I couldn't help but wonder if the fact that the Westminster Dog Show started the next day had anything to do with this dog being on the train? I seemed to me the Service Animal vest was a way to get this big dog to the dog show on the cheap. Just an observation.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #25

Hey not fair I play banjo, I feel your pain we keep out dogs quiet but other campers not so much
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
...Both human companions didn't appear to need any service animal assistance and I couldn't help but wonder if the fact that the Westminster Dog Show started the next day had anything to do with this dog being on the train?...
You cannot always tell what a person's handicap's are just by looking at them. I get flack occasionally over my handicap placard in my F150. They feel if I can into my truck, I'm not handicapped. The fact is I can use my arms to hoist myself into the truck but I'm unable to get out of smaller vehicles unless I help. I also tire quickly and have deformed feet, a bad back, and knees that can give out on me without notice.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #27

I guess the real issue is with the owners, not the dog. They left today so it's back to a deafening quiet again

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You cannot always tell what a person's handicap's are just by looking at them. I get flack occasionally over my handicap placard in my F150. They feel if I can into my truck, I'm not handicapped. The fact is I can use my arms to hoist myself into the truck but I'm unable to get out of smaller vehicles unless I help. I also tire quickly and have deformed feet, a bad back, and knees that can give out on me without notice.
Spinal Stenosis here so I agree with you. I shouldn't have said anything about their potential handicap. People look at me occasionally too with a handicap license plate on my truck.

But massive breed, perfectly groomed? Not a typical service dog and the dog show starting the day they arrived in NYC?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post

The problem is with PEOPLE. Maybe the dog needs to go out, maybe the dog is lonely, maybe the dog is hungry, maybe the dog is startled. They are barking for some reason and shame on the owner for failing to understand and react.

Shame on owners who fail to control their children, their dogs, their music and their lights. If everyone stopped, stepped back, and considered that there are other people in the world besides them we would have a lot more enjoyable time!
Well said. I agree wholeheartedly. There are ways to train dogs not to nuisance bark. A lot of pet supplies stores sell, OR RENT, "no-bark" collars for the most stubborn of dogs. Trust me, it doesn't take long to work either. A pet is no different than a child, if they display undesirable behavior, it's incumbent upon the owner/parent to correct them.

There are two sides to that coin though. We are talking about consideration as a theme in this thread. We, as the offended, should all be a little more tolerant of our fellow man also. If an offense is egregious enough, simply take it up with the proper authorities if a brief discussion with the offender doesn't resolve the matter.

Case in point...It amazes me that someone can walk by a site, be friendly with a dog (stop, greet, pet, etc.) and then get mad when the dog wanders into their site an hour later. I've seen this happen many times at resort style campgrounds.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #30

I love campgrounds that have pet free areas - we’re so tied of constantly barking dogs. I believe that the owners are so use to it they don’t even hear it. When you complain you’re now the “bad” person.

The other thing I see all the time is people letting their dogs crap and then walk away pretending they don’t know what happened. Leaving it there for people to step in because poochie’s pooh is loved by everyone except the dog owner who left it there.

Time to start videoing these people walking their dogs - instead of a dash cam call it dog doody cam.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #31

Barking dogs drive me nuts too. Not the occasional bark. I don't expect silence in a campground. 30-50 RVs, 100 humans and a few pets....there's going to be noise. But, a constant bark I can't handle.

We travel with a 14 year old Irish Wolf Hound mix. She's too deaf and tired to bother with barking, so it's been nice. We just aquired an Old English Sheep dog puppy, and I'm a little worried about that one. We'll invest in a bark collar if nessesary, and wouldn't be at all offended if a neighbor says something in a non-confrontational sort of way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #32

When my lab barks it might be time for me to grab the hand gun.

He's just doing his job.

When he growls it's definitely time.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #33

If the dog is left unattended and the dog was barking, you should let the owners know. They may not realize the dog barks when they aren't there. Dogs have separation anxiety too and can be trained to not bark when left alone. A sticks and bricks neighbor across the street from us bought a dog a couple years after they moved in. Not long after they bought it, it would bark all day long when the house was empty. Eventually I told them about it. They had no idea. Unfortunately they didn't do anything about it. Fortunately, they moved not long after that.

Our seasonal campground doesn't allow pets. Almost every year it seems someone brings a pet or 2. This year it was 5 large macaws in 1 mid-sized Class C. That was a first. They were one row behind us and one site down, so we were pretty close. The owners would take them out of the camper for a couple hours every morning. They'd squawk when they were outside with their owners, but when they were in the camper, we never heard a peep from them. They didn't make that much noise when they were out, so it didn't bother me.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #34

Our dog is much like others mentioned here; too old and tired to do much barking. Even if another dog is walking by, he will just stand up and whimper at them. If we have to leave him in the trailer alone, we make sure he's comfortable, well-fed, has his toys, and we leave the TV or the radio on, and the shades drawn. Sometimes if he sees someone "too close" to our trailer, he'll bark, so we make sure there's nothing for him to see.

If he were barking while we were gone, I would want to hear about it. I would greatly appreciate something like "hey, did you know your dog was barking constantly while you were gone?" That would surprise the hell outta me, but I'd want to know about it. Or more likely in our situation, "hey, someone walked up to your camper, and your dog started barking."

I also think we need to have some more empathy for our fellow humans. There could be any number of reasons that a particular situation exists, from simple ignorance (I simply just didn't know) to willful negligence (I know, and I don't care). I think many people would appreciate a simple head's up to something they may not even be aware of. I try to take a more "innocent until proven guilty" approach in my interactions these days, or at least I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

People like to complain about "pet-unfriendly" places, but they neglect to look at themselves as a possible reason policies like that exist.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #35

Barking

I go camping for some peace and quiet. I remember as a kid that state campgrounds in Ohio and Indiana were full of wildlife but it changed when everyone started bringing their yapping dogs. Every RV resort and state and federal campground has rules. I call the manager or the ranger. I won't risk a confrontation with a dog owner who lets his dog bark continuously, because he has probably had numerous other complaints and does not give a damn.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote