Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Bark, bark...BARK!

I'm at a lakeside campground that's absolutely pristine and so quiet that the only things you hear are birds and the loons. That is, until the rube that pulled in next to me with his very large barking dog. What makes people think that I want to hear their dog?! Sorry for the rant.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Woof!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Hopefully he won't break out the banjo next...

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Hey I feel for you, what I would do is strike up a conversion with him and kindly tell him that his dog barks all the time and it if there was anything that he could do to stop the dog from barking. Say if very nicely.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

I think this is a tough one, how much does the dog bark? Is your neighbor in the trailer when the dog is barking and do you know what the dog is barking at? Having many rescued dog's I can tell you I sweated bullets on the first camping trip with each one of them. I have tried very hard but my current dog barks at scroungy looking people and the smell of drugs. I know it is the owners responsibility but see if there is anything you can do to help the owner.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #6

Barking dogs are one of my biggest pet peeves (ha ha).

But, seriously, I don't want to listen to your loud motorcycle, boat, car, or your barking dog. Your right to be a jerk ends at my ears.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 AM   #7

I camp with my German Shepherd and she is very protective of us as well as our property. She will bark if someone approaches our site or if she perceives a threat. I can stop her with a verbal command and her barking is not often or continous. She is never left alone in or around the camper because she would likely bark more often and for longer periods.

I have camped in close proximity to others with dogs who do allow their dogs to bark frequently and at all hours. Many times a simple introduction and conversation helps correct the problem but there have been a couple of times where the lack of respect showed in more then just a barking dog.

I would try and strike up a conversation with the owner of the dog and see which kind of person he/she is.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

But, seriously, I don't want to listen to your loud motorcycle, boat, car, or your barking dog. Your right to be a jerk ends at my ears.
Or his choice of music that can be heard in the next county.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Or his choice of music that can be heard in the next county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

I agree with both of you, I have no love for people who only think of themselves. However, I also think we have forgotten what it was like to be young. No doubt in my mind I would have had a "boom car" instead of my AM radio.
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Team

I'm having the same problem where I'm currently camped at. The couple next door that arrived yesterday, went out this morning and left their unattended, barking dog tied up outside their TT. How inconsiderate and annoying. Our cat is a bit edgy from the barking too.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #11

I recently stayed at a campground in Lake George New York that had a No Dog policy. The Oasis RV resort in Las Vegas has a separate section for campers with pets. The separate section makes sense to me. People with animals should be more tolerant of animals than people without.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

I feel compelled to apologize. We took our lil' dog with us camping last weekend. I swearta'gawd - he doesn't bark. Until that night.

We just left the RV for a grocery run and came back to hear him barking.
So, if you were next to us - I'm sorry!!!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #13

It's the nature of the beast. All dogs have fleas from time to time. If the barking is bothering you then seek the help from the manager/ranger of the RV park. If it is a inconvenience to find the manager or ranger then post it's my be your alternative.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #14
Site Team

We camp with our furbaby every time, and have noticed something. He'll bark when another dog walks by our site, but when we walk by that dog at his site, it's the opposite. That dog bark at ours. So I think the puppies are just protecting their own turf. It seems that everyone is used to that. Only one time did we stay next to a camper family that must have to have been stone deaf. Their two dogs barked constantly from the time they were let out, till they were put back in. A cordial visit to their site, with a wish they would quiet their pooches down a bit got the response of "Whut...didn't notice that." Seriously!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #15

Dogs, generators, music... the list goes on and on. Seems to be getting worse every year. It's not the dog or the generator ruining our campgrounds, it's the idiots without manners.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
It's not the dog or the generator ruining our campgrounds, it's the idiots without manners.
This is so good it should be on a bumper sticker!! I couldn't have put it better.

In the short time I have been on this forum, the question of dogs in the campground has come up at least a couple of times. I don't remember if I posted this in the last thread on this subject, but I'll add it here again.

I first want to say that I am a dog lover and have handled highly trained German Shepherd dogs for better part of the last 20 years. I currently have a 3.5 year old GSD that is so good that you can literally set a gun off next to him and he will not move without hearing his command word or my hand signal. With that said, I will not bring him camping or traveling with us under any circumstance. There is just too much liability. When we are away, he is at the kennel or with his trainer. Too many dogs running loose, unattended children, etc. to take the chance.

Now with that said, I don't mind other peoples dogs in a campground. The vast majority of the time, there isn't an issue. But, what drives me crazy are those that just let their dogs run, leave them out of their trailer without a leash, or leave them unattended for extended periods for others in the campground to have to deal with them. To put it bluntly, if you choose to travel with your animals for whatever reason, then take proper care of them and responsibility for them.

Since I'm on a rant, I'll add this. I get a great chuckle out of the fake "therapy" or "companion" animals that keep popping up at public places over the last couple of years. Anyone who knows anything about dog training or working dogs can spot an untrained animal a mile away. All this does is make it harder for those who actually need a service animal or who handle working dogs.

Rant off. Sorry
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Dogs, generators, music... the list goes on and on. Seems to be getting worse every year. It's not the dog or the generator ruining our campgrounds, it's the idiots without manners.

YEP! I agree. Dogs can be trained not to bark.
People can learn to be considerate of others!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Since I'm on a rant, I'll add this. I get a great chuckle out of the fake "therapy" or "companion" animals that keep popping up at public places over the last couple of years. Anyone who knows anything about dog training or working dogs can spot an untrained animal a mile away. All this does is make it harder for those who actually need a service animal or who handle working dogs.
They're almost as bad as the fake "campers". You know, the people who pretend to value the peace and serenity of being out in nature, but show no consideration for the environment they're sharing with others.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
They're almost as bad as the fake "campers". You know, the people who pretend to value the peace and serenity of being out in nature, but show no consideration for the environment they're sharing with others.
The primary reason that we are boondocking most of the time.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #20

If the dog is tied up outside and unattended, maybe a jar of peanut butter would keep him quiet! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote