Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2022, 08:18 PM   #1

Campground Rules?

I was watching a RVing video about un-written “Do’s and Don’ts” at the campground. One of the un-written rules was, “Do not walk through an occupied campsite.” What the video did not address was how the campsite boundaries are established, and by whom? Does my campsite extend all the way to the next RV pad, or just to an imaginary line between the two sites? If so, who determines that boundary line, me, or my neighbor? I have never encountered an issue regarding this topic thus I have mixed feelings about this rule. I feel, I am just renting the space and do not own it. If it would benefit or make my neighbor’s stay easier for that neighbor to cross the site, to access the dumpster, or bathhouse, then so be it. I really do not think someone carrying a sack of trash or towel and bar of soap while crossing the site I occupy has any ill intent. Having said that, I can see where it could also get out of hand and become an issue. I will end by saying, one of the most heartwarming encounters I have had with a camper crossing “my” site to access the bathhouse, would never have happened had that camper not broken the “rule.”

Thoughts?
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

Everybody is different, but to me, it’s just common sense. Unless there is a specifically marked route through or between sites, walk around. Use the road to walk to the restroom or store or laundry. You’re camping, for Pete’s sake. If you can’t walk a few extra yards, maybe RVing isn’t for you. That said, if a neighbor asked if it was OK to use a shortcut through a corner of my site, I’d probably be fine with it. But probably not their kids, dog, bikes etc.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

At the campgrounds we frequent, the site runs from power pedestal to pedestal, if they're on the same side of the lots. If they're randomly placed, or don't have power, it's anybody's guess, and common courtesy comes into play.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:28 PM   #4

Courtesy always works. We don’t own campsite only rent them
Old 12-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #5

I believe it's the decision of the site renter at that point. Some people don't mind...some do. I will say that I'm not a strong supporter of the site crossings. I've never stayed at a CG that didn't have adequate walk areas to get from one place to the other. I'm sure they exist but I've never been to one. I've heard horror stories when it comes to cutting through sites. Stuff missing, cigarette butts, dog poo and other things. Although it's true we don't "own" the property, we are paying a premium for privacy. If I rent an apartment, I wouldn't want people cutting through it for some reason. Same rule applies here. Common courtesy and manners must be practiced at CG's. I have always told my kids to never cut through sites without permission from the campers themselves. In most cases, it's just plain laziness on the "walk-throughs" part. Like I said, I've never been to a campground that's that unorganized and poorly planned out.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I was watching a RVing video about un-written “Do’s and Don’ts” at the campground. One of the un-written rules was, “Do not walk through an occupied campsite.” What the video did not address was how the campsite boundaries are established, and by whom? Does my campsite extend all the way to the next RV pad, or just to an imaginary line between the two sites? If so, who determines that boundary line, me, or my neighbor? I have never encountered an issue regarding this topic thus I have mixed feelings about this rule. I feel, I am just renting the space and do not own it. If it would benefit or make my neighbor’s stay easier for that neighbor to cross the site, to access the dumpster, or bathhouse, then so be it. I really do not think someone carrying a sack of trash or towel and bar of soap while crossing the site I occupy has any ill intent. Having said that, I can see where it could also get out of hand and become an issue. I will end by saying, one of the most heartwarming encounters I have had with a camper crossing “my” site to access the bathhouse, would never have happened had that camper not broken the “rule.”

Thoughts?
If you do a search you will find this topic discussed numerous times with the vast majority not agreeing with your feelings. In the case of the camp ground we stay in much of the summer that rule is clearly spelled out in the rules as well as annoying barking dogs and enforced speed limits.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #7

I always respected the area just on the other side of the utilities for the site about a foot or two....some times hard to do at KOAs that pack their sites in....
never really had an issue until our stay at Hidden Cove TT in AL....loop A has some spacious sites. the pull through row has about 20 yards flat from the utilities for the site to the other side, then site drops down a steep slop about two feet to start the other site.... the Picnic tables and fire rings are about four feet from this down slope.... to me a perfect perimeter/delimiter is the down slope to the other site. Your neighbor has about three-four feet on the other side of their utility location to work with.

Well, had on camper come in to our door side... we have dog fence put up from door to the fire ring on our site...this person came over to our fire ring and searched for satellites for their Starling, then proceeded to put the Antenna about a foot from our Fire Ring ... I was like what the nerve....she later moved the antenna to the front of the site, but a little more closer to her site line....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #8

Let me ask you a question, would you want someone walking through your house with a towel to take a shower at the next house? Would you allow it if you rented your house, not owned? My site was basically my outdoor living room, just like my back yard back home. It doesn't take lines and defined boundaries to know where sites end and a new one begins.

Most of the private CGs we've been to specify no cutting through sites in their rules. Yes, you don't own it, but you are paying a fee for the use of the small patch of land. Like renting a motel room or an apartment, in the eyes of the law, it's yours while you occupy that spot. Regardless, even when it is not in writing, it is most definitely an "unwritten" rule. Not that many of the "new" breed of campers are willing to show anyone courtesy these days. 10+ years ago, this was fairly uncommon, but now it's an everyday thing. One of the things we don't miss about camping (not the reason we no longer camp, just a little benefit).

If you choose to allow people cutting through, that's for you to decide. We always hated it. Our site is our private living space and we never cared to have people tramping through looking at us, trying to make conversation, etc. Then you the dogs crapping in the site, the kids running though and thinking your stuff is for them to use, etc. We've also been woken up in the middle of the night as people returned from friends sites after a good drunk around the fire. Not cool.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

I don't care for people walking through the site I am occupying. I agree with Doc above. My site is my yard for the time I am there.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #10

I don't cut through yours and I appreciate it if you stay out of mine.

There are some sites that make this better or worse. The worse was while tent camping in Yellowstone people were walking two feet away from my tent while I was trying to sleep. When I had to guy out a couple lines because of a storm someone tripped and fell on my tent.

But I've had sites where cutting the corner wasn't a big deal.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #11

I’m sorry, I guess I didn’t make myself clear. I was not asking for your opinion regarding the activity. I too believe common sense and courtesy should always be the rule. My question was “If the rule is un-written, then who establishes the site boundaries, so all know the rule is being broken?”
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #12

First off if you are not occupying either site that you are cutting between, which is the most common issue, it really doesn't matter where the boundary is. You shouldn't walk through someone's curb or street side. Likewise not walking between the road and someone's RV.

A trickier situation is when the sites back up to a field, woods, etc. I've had people walking along that border. Most of the time it isn't an issue but I can remember one situation where folks would only be a couple feet away. That felt like an intrusion.

If the issue is where does my site end and yours begin I think it's typically the utility pedestal. If there isn't a pedestal, or it's in a unusual spot, give the backside of someone's unit a little breathing room. I've never had anyone too close to my street side.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
I’m sorry, I guess I didn’t make myself clear. I was not asking for your opinion regarding the activity. I too believe common sense and courtesy should always be the rule. My question was “If the rule is un-written, then who establishes the site boundaries, so all know the rule is being broken?”

If you are walking between two RVs and neither of them is yours, you should not be there. That really is common sense, which I guess is not so common for some.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
We have been to many private campgrounds that have written rules, one of which cutting through occupied sites is prohibited. Folks may indeed read it, may not comprehend it, or just don't care to abide by it. That's taking into consideration they were actually handed a copy to read when they checked in.

EDIT: This snippit is from one near us:

"#9 Camping Etiquette
Respect your Neighbor’s Sites: no walking/biking through others sites, stay on roads or paths. Please discuss this with your children.
Behavior and Conduct must be decent and orderly. Public drunkenness, public use of marijuana, underage drinking or smoking is not tolerated on Red's Twilight property.
NOTIFY us and report anything that is out of the ordinary, unsafe, irresponsible, or un-neighborly conduct so that we can address it immediately. Call or text xxx-xxxx
We reserve the right to revoke your camping privileges should you, your children or your visitors fail to comply with any of these rules. By utilizing this park and its services, you hereby consent to the same. No refunds will be issued if this occurs."

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Answered in my post...

You pretty much invited opinion when you shared yours, then finished with "thoughts?". If that was not your intent, the question by itself would have been sufficient.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:52 PM   #16

Quote:
In every campground or RV park I’ve been to, you can reach every facility (bathhouse, laundry, store, office, RV sites) using designated roads or pathways. Stick to those and your question is answered.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:39 PM   #17

Never knew this was a thing. We spend very little time in campgrounds, we get up early and gone all day, just like a hotel. So dont have any idea what people do all day sitting in the campground.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #18

I just expect people to use common sense. I am out camping, out to enjoy myself, and as long as no one interrupts that enjoyment I am fine. If there is a need for someone to cross my site, fine. There are more important things for me to worry about. Frankly, it is the noisemakers that stay in their site and are not respectful of the fact that we are all there to enjoy the "outdoors" are more of an issue for me. Included in that are the ones that decide that because their team is playing that all of us should have to hear the entire broadcast along with their hoots and hollers along with their outside TV.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote