Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #1

Campground Sewer Backup

I experienced our first "Sewer Mishap" and it had nothing to do with me. Not sure I'm happy with the way the campground handled the situation though.

Early yesterday morning, I got a knock on my door and it was one of the campground workers informing me that my sewer hose has broken free and is spewing sewage all over the site.

I was shocked at that but even more shocked when I went out and realized that the sewage was coming up from the ground. The underground line had backed up and I suppose because my sites pipe wasn't threaded, it pushed my donut out and raw sewage was pouring out of the pipe.

I explained to the kid (he was about 17) it was their system NOT my line that was leaking. My valves were still closed and my tanks both still had waste in them as I hadn't even dumped yet. The kid kept insisting it was my trailer causing the mess.

I engaged park management who obviously agreed with me. They sent a bunch of other kids to begin cleanup but the sewer was still overflowing. I hooked up to try and get my trailer out of the swamp that was forming all around it. My wheel chocks were under dirty water, one of my outdoor mats was soaked as well as one chair.

No one was willing to pull the chocks so I basically just dragged the camper over them. I got it out and into another site where I could hose off my tires and sewer hoses and dump my tanks.

My issue is with the fact that no one from the campground seemed to care about the inconvenience of what happened. I lost a full day at the campsite, 2 wheel chocks and an outdoor mat.

By the time I finished cleaning up, the office was closed and I couldn't find any staff so I couldn't talk with anyone about my concerns I went by the original site, still sewage bubbling out of the pipe but no one around.

We frequent this campground as it is close to home and we've always had a great experience there. They are now closed for the season.

My question is should I have expected them to do something for me or is that unrealistic. My loss is minimal, so part of me thinks I'm being petty. Its a corporate owned park so I can still pursue but my gut is telling me just let it go...

What say you????

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #2

I would at least inform corporate of the situation and your loss. Not in looking for compensation necessarily, but just so they are aware of the issue. Not many people are as understanding as you are and I am sure corporate wants to keep a good "clean" image and top-notch customer service. I would mention to them that you have always had good experiences at that location prior to this incident.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #3

From your description of the situation it sounds like you've been more than reasonable about the whole situation. I think the very least they could do is refund the campsite fee.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #4

Since you are a frequent camper there, you should give a call to the manager of the site and have a chat. State all the stuff you did here, they may just give you a free night as a result of the situation and perhaps assist you in recovery of the chair, mats and wheel chocks.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
From your description of the situation it sounds like you've been more than reasonable about the whole situation. I think the very least they could do is refund the campsite fee.
I agree. They should refund the fee. I would also be looking to get compensated for my stuff that was ruined.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

In every situation like this you should calmly and firmly expect management to make it right.
1) that poorly trained "kid" needs to understand what Customer Service is - you NEVER blame a paying customer, even if it is their fault.
2) they should at very minimum refund your fee for that week and pay for your mat and chocks.

For any business, the cost of acquiring a new customer if far higher than the cost of keeping a loyal, returning customer. It's amazing how many business owners don't seem to understand that basic fact of business.

You could/should also call the country health department in that country - what you experienced is a health hazard for the entire campground - any health department that I'm aware of would shut down the entire campground until that system is properly and permanently repaired. That's your leverage for getting your refund.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

Private campground?

I'd request a refund. I wouldn't be an ahole about it, but it's just the right thing to do. "Stuff" happens... but they's should comp your time for the 'crappy' experience.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

I agree with many here. As a nice gesture they should refund your campsite fee.
As for the wheel chocks and an outdoor mat. I have been through some pretty "crappy" situations. Some much worse than this. Personally, I would reached down and grabbed my wheel chocks and mat, and cleaned them too (including my shoes, socks, pants and whatever else I managed to get waste on).
Those who have served and 'been there, done that' over seas will know what I mean when I say, there is not much worse than having to clean out and burn the waste in porta jons, out in the desert. Pull the barrels, add the diesel, ignite and stir. You're gonna get some on you, that is what showers are for.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

Thanks all - I have reached out to the Campground manager and am waiting for a call back. We will see where this goes.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 10-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

The right thing to do is not be so concerned with a refund but to file a formal complaint with the County's health department in hopes that it's properly cleaned up, fixed, and doesn't happen again.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Did you get to take some pics amid the chaos ? That would help with a refund through corporate as well as something to show the health department.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
The right thing to do is not be so concerned with a refund but to file a formal complaint with the County's health department in hopes that it's properly cleaned up, fixed, and doesn't happen again.
I tend to agree with this. It was a bad situation no doubt, but looking for remuneration should be secondary. It's possible management (or at least "real" management) didn't even know something was wrong. So, be sure they know what happened and that they have or will fix it. If they don't, make it clear that you won't be back, at least until they get it fixed (if ever).

I have dealt with this a lot as a manager. Subordinates don't want to "bother" the higher-ups for various reasons. I told my employees to tell me what's happening no matter how big or small, and it's never a "bother". Still I would find out about things days or weeks later that would have been an easy fix if I had only known about them. Now, the problem is much bigger and more difficult to deal with. As a manager, it was quite embarrassing to hear about stuff like this from a customer, but I always made it a point to thank them for telling me, so at least then I could get started fixing it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Did you get to take some pics amid the chaos ? That would help with a refund through corporate as well as something to show the health department.
Unfortunately I did not. I wasn't really as concerned with documentation as I was with getting my stuff thrown in my truck and getting my trailer out of the swamp. Would have been a good idea though. As I stated in my original post, I am not really concerned with compensation but just felt the campground could have been more responsive to the whole situation...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 10-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I tend to agree with this. It was a bad situation no doubt, but looking for remuneration should be secondary. It's possible management (or at least "real" management) didn't even know something was wrong. So, be sure they know what happened and that they have or will fix it. If they don't, make it clear that you won't be back, at least until they get it fixed (if ever).

I have dealt with this a lot as a manager. Subordinates don't want to "bother" the higher-ups for various reasons. I told my employees to tell me what's happening no matter how big or small, and it's never a "bother". Still I would find out about things days or weeks later that would have been an easy fix if I had only known about them. Now, the problem is much bigger and more difficult to deal with. As a manager, it was quite embarrassing to hear about stuff like this from a customer, but I always made it a point to thank them for telling me, so at least then I could get started fixing it.
Very good point. I did speak directly with the onsite manager after his employee refused to accept the fact that it was not me that caused the problem. When I went back to the office to speak with him again, they were closed.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3