Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #51

It is called being LAZY.. + manors are a thing of the past..

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #52

Reading through these posts, it reaffirms my choice to typically stay at private campgrounds, rather than state or federal ones. Not only does price have a tendency to weed out some of the undesirables, often due to enforcement of one tent/rig per sight, but they also are better at enforcing rules. Typically you will have many more campground "workers" than at state parks, which may have a ranger covering multiple parks.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #53

One of the best camping trips was in 1977 in Germany. Got to a great campsite and set up our tent and everything else. We went to bed about 10 pm and when we woke up the next morning we had German campers all around us. They came in and set up and did not make a sound. That morning everybody was out side and we had a good time interacting with them. Very good weekend.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #54

Your situation is a sign of the times- A result of the "me first" and "rules are for others" selfishness that seem to be so prevalent these days- We seek more secluded sites and are always present when we have youngsters with us- There is no reasoning with such people so we avoid them whenever possible- JMHO- DD
Old 03-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #55

Interesting thread. I have found that most campsites place "longtime or semi permanent" campers in an area away from a path that would lead to the common areas, such as showers or playgrounds. We simply have to expect that this is going to happen, the closer your site is to these common grounds.

I do agree with folks here in that a certain amount of manners should and could be expected, but with kids, that just won't happen. I can only suggest that if you want to camp for a long period of time and want some privacy around your site, choose a campground that provides sites away from common areas, or has trees around your site.

The ideas of placing fishing line sickens me; you'd enjoy watching a child trip and hurt themself, just because you wanted your spot to be private? Camping is supposed to be a fun, relaxing event for all; especially the kids.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #56

A couple of years ago I was hosting at a state park in Florida (actually 4 years ago and I'm going back in May for year 5) and a large group checked in for 3-5 sites adjacent to each other and they must have had 30-35 kids. I figured this wouldn't be good and they were there for a week. As it turned out I was completely wrong. This group is a church group that brings kids from their community every year. The kids included are orphans, abused/neglected, etc. The adults that supervise this group were kids in the same group as youngsters. So this has been going on every year for a long time.

Now how did the kids act? Yes they were active all day, bicycles being ridden all day, running around and having fun, but.......They weren't overly noisy, did not run through other camp sites and did not litter. Yes there were a few times when driving by their sites the road was a bit crowded, but they did move out of the way. I would say this large group of kids acted much much better than some other campers with 1-2 kids. Why the difference? Parenting and supervision in my opinion. A lot of parents check in, set up camp, and ignore the kids the rest of the time. The responsibility for poor etiquette by the kids is directly the parents fault.

Off of soap box.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Reading through these posts, it reaffirms my choice to typically stay at private campgrounds, rather than state or federal ones. Not only does price have a tendency to weed out some of the undesirables, often due to enforcement of one tent/rig per sight, but they also are better at enforcing rules. Typically you will have many more campground "workers" than at state parks, which may have a ranger covering multiple parks.
Our experience is just the opposite. At least in WI and IL state parks, as well as the couple of USACE parks we've camped at. The rangers in WI don't tolerate non-sense, while the only thing many private CGs care about is that you paid. In WI SPs, break the rules, your name gets blacklisted from the entire park system. There are many private parks in WI that are known for being party parks, some of which are a pretty good drive from cities. That's not to say that all private CGs are bad, it's just that we've found it hard to find ones that have the same level of patrolling and decent clientele that the WI state parks have.

Our biggest reason for frequenting private CGs is that I don't need to make 11 month in advance reservations.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Our experience is just the opposite. At least in WI and IL state parks, as well as the couple of USACE parks we've camped at. The rangers in WI don't tolerate non-sense, while the only thing many private CGs care about is that you paid. In WI SPs, break the rules, your name gets blacklisted from the entire park system. There are many private parks in WI that are known for being party parks, some of which are a pretty good drive from cities. That's not to say that all private CGs are bad, it's just that we've found it hard to find ones that have the same level of patrolling and decent clientele that the WI state parks have.

Our biggest reason for frequenting private CGs is that I don't need to make 11 month in advance reservations.
I have found this to be true here as well. For one thing alcohol is prohibited in Virginia and Maryland State Parks and if they see you with a container you will be approached and possibly written up. Rangers patrol regularly in season, less often off season. No golf carts in the SP`s either. Some of the private parks become a beer and party fest and have an abundance of golf cart traffic.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
Try stringing some fishing line about a foot off the ground! :hihi:

Too funny!

Mark, Kelley and our mutt, Macy
2014 Chevy Silverado
2015 Jayco White Hawk 21FBS
mk4ever86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #60

For some reason I don't see the humor. Would rather just be an example of good camping behavior than stir up trouble. IMHO!

gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote