Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #21

I haven't had problems to the extent that you folks have. If there are 2 vacant sites back to back I will cut through there in case I need to make it to the bathroom in a hurry. I try to avoid sites that are near a path between loops, close to trailheads or adjacent to the bathrooms.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #22

On repeat offenders, maybe you could ask them to share the cost of the space since they are already sharing its use.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #23

A roll of yellow Crime Scene tape around the site should do the trick!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #24

Another thought that might send the proper message - Hello ! We were just about to sit down for supper, and since you're already here, you are invited. We are having calf brain stew with mountain oysters, and jellyfish pie for desert. How about it ?

If that doesn't turn them off, then you might as well put down a walkway to guide them through your site.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I found that camping on a CG perimeter site greatly reduces the probability of having to deal with "walk thru's".

In all the years that I have been camping there has only been a couple of times that I had to deal with someone continually using my campsite as a short cut. At least in my case a polite "I would really appreciate that you wouldn't use my campsite as a CG pathway"....., worked for me.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #26

You're evil....I can appreciate that in a person!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
Try stringing some fishing line about a foot off the ground! :hihi:

bmeyer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #27

How about using empty pop or beer cans with a few rocks in them. Tie them with fish line that is a tangled mess. It won't trip them but you will sure hear them comming.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #28

Last Memorial Day, I had a family cutting through my site to get to theirs. I asked them twice not to cut through the camp site. The 2nd time the father told me it was too far to walk around. I said, are you kidding me? I put up a clothes line in their path and that ducked under it. I called the security people and complained, and they did nothing but go talk to them, and it still continued. The next time I saw them I got up and stood in front of their path, and told them to walk around. They started cutting through the next site after that.
Lazy people, who have no regard for the rules, other peoples things or privacy.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #29

Some people have no respect!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #30

Chuck I would do that but being a Corrections officer for 24 years I have a tendency to dump someone on their A$$ when they get up close and personal. Camping is what has kept me sane from the weekly steel and block. If there is a small issue I just give the wife the look and she handles it. Cause when I get involved someone needs medical attention and bail money.
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #31

Being a good citizen!

This thread hasn't been updated for a while, but as I read recent posts on other threads - maybe it's time for a few gentle reminders on Campground Courtesy and RV Etiquette - I KNOW there are many more sources/links ... but perhaps these are a start for this season's outtings!
Campground Etiquette
Campground Courtesy |
The Camping Guide To Common Campsite Courtesy And Etiquette

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #32

I'd like to know if the author on that first link even has children. Also, how does one "control" fire pit smoke so it doesn't annoy their neighbor...it seems the wind direction has more to do with that than human intervention.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I'd like to know if the author on that first link even has children. Also, how does one "control" fire pit smoke so it doesn't annoy their neighbor...it seems the wind direction has more to do with that than human intervention.
One way is to make sure you have a fire with dry wood, so smoke is kept to a minimum. Not always easy but, we need to be respectful of our neighbors. I once had to deal with a family that checked in about 10:30pm. After a noisy set up, they places large lanterns all around their site, 5 of them I seem to remember. They were bright, like daylight bright. One was within 3 feet of their neighbors pop up. They also had a radio playing and were cooking hamburgers. When I approached them ( I was doing security that eve) and said it was quiet hours and the radio needed to be toned down. I said you can have whatever you want ON your site, if it leaves your site, be it sound or light, then it's an issue. They took some issue and said well what are we suppose to do, we like to stay up late and eat and drink and party. I said perhaps a family campground, with rules well posted may not of been the best choice of accommodations. I should add the "kids" were all mid to late teen agers. They finally did extinguished some of their lanterns, turned off the radio, ate and went to bed. Next day the left (YES). We were happy to refund the money for the nights not spent with us. I think leaving outside lights, in a crowded campground is also inconsiderate. People, me included, enjoy sitting outside and viewing the stars. There is no reason to leave lights, and I mean all outside lights, all around their rig, on all night. It's not keeping anyone away, nor deterring anyone from doing anything. In fact it may cause your neighbors to be more at risk as the light will illuminate an otherwise dark campsite, allowing bad people (very few and far between from my experience) to see and do things they could not do in the dark. When doing security, i watch for lights, especially flash lights. Typically it will be someone visiting the rest rooms, but, if it's around a rig I will investigate, if only to see if a guest needs assistance. Typically if I walk up, or drive up in cart, I will just say "really" with a smile...people know if they are doing something wrong, they just "forget to think" at times it seems. Never have had a violent confrontation, even when I caught non campers coming in to use our bath house. We hauled and paid for all our water and were clearly marked for registered guests only.. What people do in showers, or bathrooms...well..that's a whole other post.. people, and mostly females, are disgusting. It appears females don't want to sit on toilets, even with the paper rings. so they hover over the toilet, after having wrapped everything with TP, without actually sitting, sometimes even standing on the seat while squatting (foot prints give them away) and often miss the bowl completely. Never ceases to amaze me what people will do.. Thank Heavens 99% are great folks and make the job enjoyable.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
This thread hasn't been updated for a while, but as I read recent posts on other threads - maybe it's time for a few gentle reminders on Campground Courtesy and RV Etiquette - I KNOW there are many more sources/links ... but perhaps these are a start for this season's outtings!
Campground Etiquette
Campground Courtesy |
Thanks for posting this Hattie. Unfortunately, folks who need to read these probably aren't on this site. However, good reminders though

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #35

I saw one camp site where the owner had a large dog bowl sitting by the door in plain view that said the name KILLER. Then there was a large chain attached to the trailer frame and just laying on the ground...

I don't know if that worked or not haha...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #36

I have to say that after many, many years of camping we have really never run into many bad campers.. I had to deal with a very young park ranger with a chip on his shoulder one time (but that's another story)... We did have on outing that we didn't get into the camp ground until around 9:30 (we were still tent camping then). By the time we got setup, dinner cooked, etc. It was pretty late.. We heard the ladies in the next camp over the next morning complaining to each other about how noisy we were.. I had planned on going over to apologize to them, but they packed up and left. (Don't know if it was us or not)..

But then we have helped out many other campers who forgot a tool, or locked their keys in their cars, etc.. etc... Even fed one guy coffee for two days as he forgot to pack his coffee pot...

On our last outing we had a large space and the people next to us came in late. Their spot was really bad and they were tent camping.. We went over and offered part of our camp for them to set their tent up.. They were very apreciative of that and over the next 2 days we were both sharing our dinners and breakfast and our kids had a grand time playing with each other.. Made for a VERY enjoyable weekend for all.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #37

I have had mostly great neighbors but have the occasional jerk.

I've read a couple of the "etiquette" threads and some people seem to have too high a standard. When camping at a campground, some noise is going to be heard. Kids talk and run around and yell occasionally. Dogs bark. People are going to have conversations and laugh if they are having a good time.

To me, I don't mind kids running around and playing and yelling... so long as they aren't running through MY site and causing issues with me.

I don't mind dogs that bark when people walk close to them. I have 3 dogs. When people cut through my site right past the window, they are going to bark. I would expect your dogs to bark if I was cruising through your site too! If you have a dog that barks 24 hours a day, that is annoying and you either need to leave your dog at home or stay close by and temper the dog.

Quiet hours are quiet hours. My buddies and I will have a couple beers after dinner and play a card game or shoot the breeze... but come 9 or 10 pm it is quiet time and we tone it down. People that are up drinking all night and hooting and hollering and laughing out loud until 2am are annoying.

Most of the obnoxious people that I have encountered are the ones that are blasting their outdoor speakers, have all their lights on and are drinking and carousing all hours of the night. If that is your thing... go to a bar... go boondock... go somewhere else. The rest of us don't want to hear your loud mouth cursing and hollering and fighting all night long. Pretend there are other people in the world besides yourselves...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Campground Etiquette
Campground Courtesy |
2. Campers (and their children) who walk through occupied sites.

This one always annoys me

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #39

Agree and we have had only a couple really bad camper neighbors. Last year at a CG in a Fls state park, a mid aged couple set up in the site next to ours [on entry door side]. They pulled their van RV into the site headlites forward so their side slide door opened toward our camper door. What made this a problem is that they parked all the way to the edge of their site leaving maybe a foot between their vehicle and the power post. Did I mention that they had 3 large unruley dogs. We're dog lovers and have 2 of our own but this was over the top. They could not exit their van without stepping onto our site and the wife was not able to control the dogs when she exited without her husband holding them back.

I introduced myself and politely suggested they reverse the van and back in OR at least move to the other side of their site. Guy said "I like the view out the front windshield" and made no effort to move over. I mentioned that we had dogs and this was going to be a problem. Still no move. This all started late afternoon, and I secured our dogs to the picnic table and set a fire in our pit. The husband returned from a walk on the beach and walked along the side of our site to reach his sliding door. Our older dog [named Earnhardt because he intiminates people who don't know him] jumped up and pinned the guy to the side of hisvan. Never crossed over our site boundry but he looked like a frog stuck to a window. I shrugged my shoulders and call the dog back to the fire.

Next am they were gone early but not without complaining to the rangers that I made them uncomfortable on their site and that my dog was not properly restrained. End of story other than I caught up with them at the ranger office and in front of the staff we discussed their behavior. Later talked to the office and all was well. Calm and peace had returned to the CG.

I honestly think this couple didn't have a clue. They were real space cadets and as they pulled out after our meeting at the ranger station they signaled that I was #1 and muttered something &*%&%(&%%() and I waved and wished them a safe trip to somewhere else.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #40

Many years ago I was doing some tenting in a provincial park campground. Sitting by the fire reading a book, I had one window on the truck rolled down and was listening to some music -- it was the window facing me. I don't believe it was very loud, but the woman in the site next to me did, and she said as much in a tone that implied she was looking for a fight. Not wanting a confrontation and not really caring about the music a whole lot, I apologized and turned it down.

I was then entertained for the rest of the day listening to the woman, her husband and their darling child scream and complain about pretty much everything, blaming each other for all the ills of the world. I just shrugged and turned my music back to where it was -- honestly, if the park attendant walked by, he might have been able to tell I had music on, but he would have been hard pressed to identify the song.

My neighbors were gone the next morning.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote