Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #11

We fill a purple Rubbermaid bin with food and other "stuffs" for the trailer before we head out and our boy Rocky has figured out that when he sees the purple bin, very good things are about to happen! He goes bananas stomping his front paws and whining near the door. The first night we took him in the trailer he was definitely freaked out. Everytime the trailer made a noise or rocked a little bit when we stood up he was whimpering. Now we find him sprawled out, half on his bed, half on the kitchen floor snoring. I'd say he's adjusted well. . . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

OK, I have to ask, do your dogs act weird when camping? I know my 2 dogs eat way less food and usually will not go poop for up to 48 hours! The younger dog especially won't pee or poop for a good 24 hours and we usually have to take the dogs separately for walks so they don't get 'distracted'. We have gone out 3 weekends so far this year and while there is improvement they still don't act normal.

Curious!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #13

Some dogs won't eat their food while camping, but they beg for table scraps and eat a lot of that, my dogs usually pee on everything in sight, marking their territory.

Be careful cause they like to drink water a lot, they will on occasion pick up a bug that can give them diarrhea and vomiting, we had one trip that both big dogs got really sick on the way home, we were very thankful for a large kennel and a pickup truck...

Also, all national forests have leash laws, regardless of in a campground or on trails

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #14

Some dogs won't eat their food while camping, but they beg for table scraps and eat a lot of that, my dogs usually pee on everything in sight, marking their territory.

Be careful cause they like to drink water a lot, they will on occasion pick up a bug that can give them diarrhea and vomiting, we had one trip that both big dogs got really sick on the way home, we were very thankful for a large kennel and a pickup truck...

Also, all national forests have leash laws, regardless of in a campground or on trails

Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #15

My dog doesn't eat the same while camping, or anywhere other than home. Pee isn't an issue, but my dog simply won't poop while leashed. I generally find a remote corner where I can let him off leash for 5-10 min to run a little and do his business. Typically we'll visit the same spot once in the Morning and evening.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Typically we'll visit the same spot once in the Morning and evening.
Yes, we try to do the same once they find the 'perfect spot'. Sometimes we will use the 10 foot lead from camp to allow the one dog more privacy since she also seems to not go with an audience. I'd love to let them off leash for a bit but unless we are out in the bush the girls will run wild with excitement around the campground. They behave when we are in the wilderness for some strange reason.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #17

Our new TT is in the shop, so haven't had a full experience of camping with our two dogs. Our yellow lab likes woods or high grass to poo in, the silver lab (the young one) has no manners, will poo anywhere. LOL We also have to separate them to do their business. I can see letting them off leash in an uninhabited area. We have done that when traveling and they seem happier. I will have to watch the yellow lab..Loves water and if she sees any, she's gone. Since we are new to TT camping, I was reading that State Parks do not allow dogs on the trails. Seems some have designated trails for dogs? So, do you just not hike with your dogs? We have gone to Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tn for over 20 years and always taken our dog on the trails and no one has ever said anything. Also, do you find that people pick up after their dogs in campgrounds? The dog park I go to, it is terrible and there are bags and signs all over. One dog park over and I even cleaned up the entire park one morning, because others didn't follow the rules. Just wondering if that is a problem at campsites? Can't wait to go camping and see what reactions we get from the dogs.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #18

I haven't seen a campground that has had many unclaimed prizes probably because there are too many eyes watching during the day. I'd like to say all dog owners are responsible for their animals but I know it's not true. I do think campers are more courteous however.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #19

We are in oregon right now and just found out our 11 month old dog just came into her first heat. Something else to think about when camping with dogs. Off to walmart for some boys underwear and panty liners.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #20

My dogs know that we're going camping as soon as we start putting groceries in the trailer, then they are constantly worried that they are getting left behind, when it's time to hook up the trailer, our golden retriever will get in the back of the truck and wait forever and never jump out in anticipation of going camping

Closed Thread