Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Can we talk Golf Carts for a minute or two?

Looking to get a golf cart for our seasonal campground. Primary use will be transport adults, coolers, and beach chairs from our campsite to the beach area at the other end of the campground. Fairly level campground with small hills. Despite my love for the sport of golf itself, I have never invested any time or energy into learning more about the trusty steeds that ferry me through my rounds (probably because I prefer to walk when playing). Local dealers seem to have an abundance of used carts in the 2009-2011 vintage which have been refurbished and/or customized. My only real requirements are a 4-seater, electric cart with a standard roof and windshield. I've been quoted as low as $2499 for a model of this type with 60% remaining lifespan batteries. Being the lover of toys that I am, I also went ahead and got a quote on a full-on custom monster cart with new batteries for $6900. I'm guessing there's a pretty nice sweet spot of well-equipped carts somewhere between the two prices and I'd be more than happy to stay in the $3500-$4500 range. Any input would be appreciated. Brands - EzGo? Yamaha? Club Car?. Must-have options? Options you didn't get but now wish you did? I've done a pretty good search here on the forums and can't seem to find a discussion of these things elsewhere, so please feel free to put me in my place if I'm re-hashing an old topic.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't think it has ever been discussed much on JOF. Here is a link to a cart forum, maybe it will help some. Forums - Golf Carts Forum
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

I picked up a 2004 Club Car four years ago, new batteries, brakes, bushings, tires and motor for $3,000.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

I bought a 2001 Club Car 48v for $1500. Go with a 48v, and one that has 6-8volt batteries will generally give you more range as opposed to one with 4-12volt batteries. It was bone stock and in great working order. I added wheels/tires, extended roof, rear seat and lights. I went with a club car because I like the looks of them and I like that they have an aluminum frame. But a Club Car, yamaha or ezgo will get the job done...

Grumpy, how do you get yours to the campground with a fifth wheel? This is one reason I'm looking at staying with a "bumper pull" when upgrading.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

I don't, it stays in FL, that's the only place we use it.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Well, I wasn't really 100% ready to purchase this soon, but an opportunity came along that seemed too good to pass. I wound up purchasing a Club Car Precedent in a local media auction for $3775. It's a 2008 4 seater model with roof and windshield. It comes with new paint, new SS wheels and tires, new LED light kit, and all new 2016 batteries (48v). I'm pretty confident that I could not have built this cart on my own for less money which is something I was contemplating before coming across the auction. Regardless, it's a done deal now. I'm sure I'll be pimpin' my ride some more with color matched seat covers, a black roof, and some black diamond plate accents already churning through my head. Thanks for the input, fellow JOFers.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

looks nice
Old 03-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #8

Looks like you got a good deal.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

That's a real nice looking cart.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #10

Great looking cart, I think you got a good deal. Post some pictures of your mods!

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

You have a great cart at a great price. In my opinion, Club Cars with their aluminum undercarriage is the best you can buy. I bought a 2005 DS model with a gas engine since I leave mine in a cart locker at a Golf and RV membership site. The site is very large with hills and numerous trails, so the gas has the power and since its left there nearly year round, the gas just made more sense than having to recharge the batteries. I do wish I had the quietness of an electric cart though. I put a rear seat on mine like yours, but added a removable bar with the golf cart bag attachments so I can also use it on the course. You will enjoy it as we have done so with ours.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

Been working fairly regularly on the cart this week. Installed new HD rear leaf springs to help carry passengers better. Installed all new seats and re-installed the roof after getting it back from having it Rhino-lined. Made a little progress on the electrical as well by mocking up my new dash switch and battery meter. Also wired in the power converter and fuse block for the lights and accessories. Backside of the dash area pretty much looks like a disaster zone, but it will all dress up nicely with some wire loom before installing the finished decorative dash cover. I'll be back with more pics as progress continues.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 04-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

SparkDr, they are really fun to work on and customize. I have put plenty of add on's on mine. Fixing to add a gearshift and do my annual tuneup on the motor but thinking about a new colored body and 3" lift kit. That's about as high as I want to go since the g-kids regularly pilot the cart. Keep the pics coming.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

Dash is done!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0371.jpg