Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #21

Thanks for all the info so far. It's all going to be very helpful.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #22

Purchased a "Milepost" for our first trip to Alaska but not for #2 trip. Why? Things in remote areas don't change very much like in more populated places. Even more important, I found the Milepost written with way too much detail and gives you mind numbing mile by mile info. If you were walking or biking that might keep you interested but at driving speed, its like reading War and Peace. In Ak, there is a fuel opportunity maybe every 75 to 150 miles but otherwise it is priceless scenery 360 degrees and you don't need or want detail of every mile. Imagine DW giving you a play by play of every mile of a 1500 mile drive. Do your homework [at home] and plan out a basic trip plan. Upgrade and finetune that plan at the end of each days drive. Talk to locals for local info about road conditions ahead on your route and special things that might interest you. If you want a Milepost, you will be fine with a 2/3/4 year old edition although the Advertisements won't necessarily be current. Oh did I mention that the Milepost is full of ADS?

A good atlas w/ maps and an updated GPS will serve you well and keep your eyes focused on the wildlife and mountains.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #23

No personal pepper spray.. No radar detectors. Watch the booze and cigarettes. No handguns.
Bear Spray OK but show Customs the canister.. It has to have a pic of a bear on it.

Long delays possible. Alcan Hwy maintenance only possible in summer.
Fuel by the litre and plan your fuel stops.

Running around $1.40 CDN last update in Dawson. That is per liter. Dont forget to factor in the exchange rate

You should have your credit card OKed for use in Canada.. Otherwise it may be denied at places like gas stations where no signature is required.

National park entry is free in 2017. You don' t need to get the pass before the trip but its one less thing to worry about.. In actuality you don't need a pass for 2017 at all.

Be aware that some campgrounds may be dry.

We go to Canada three or four times a year and have been from Maine to Alaska via the Alaska Highway once.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #24

Alcan tripq

Looked at all the posts in this thread, and something no one mentioned and most people don't consider. I'm unsure if it's still the case, but a couple years ago a couple I know were going to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Evidently, CA border agents ran a BI check on the couple and found one of them had had a DUI conviction several years earlier. The couple were required to catch the next ferry back to Port Angeles. Apparently the Canadian government didn't permit anyone having a felony (or even a DUI) in. I'm certainly not suggesting any of the OP's party might be disqualified because of this - just more info for anyone heading into Canada. A disclaimer - I'm not familiar with current Canadian laws regarding this subject, but after hearing that story I looked carefully at a CA Customs website, and indeed, the CA agents were correct. As I recall, this was in the late '90s. Any other JOF members care to provide any amplification of this subject?
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #25

I was driving commercially delivering many Jayco trailers in Canada in '07, '08, & '09. One of the dispatchers mentioned that my clean background was the reason why they had me delivering so many. Canada did not allow delivery drivers with records into Canada. I wasn't aware similar rules applied to tourists.

That's not current info and not really amplification, but it's what I experienced.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Apparently the Canadian government didn't permit anyone having a felony (or even a DUI) in.

Goes both ways on this. Canadians have the same issue heading to the USA with DUI's / felonies.

The border websites have all this information heading both directions and very detailed list of what you can and cannot do. Very informative.

If you want some entertainment watch the reality tv show "Border Security". Its covers the American border entry. Canada has a show too on our border but was cancelled due to issues.

Welcome to Canada. We don't bite and look forward to welcoming you.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #27

Hello again friends and thanks for all the advice.
Another question concerning crossing the boarder into Canada. Does anyone know if I can cross the boarder with an extra 100 gallons of fuel in a transfer tank in the back of my truck?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #28

I have a 50gal tank in the bed of my truck. I crossed the border many times and never had a problem or was ever asked about it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #29

Ok thanks. I have 100 in my truck and didn't want to take it out for this trip

Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #30

Clearing Customs – ezbordercrossing.com Look at the first sentence under General Recommendations. Its unlikely they would allow you to dump fuel..

On various forums there are anecdotes about having to pay duty on fuel carried beyond your vehicles normal fuel capacity.. Others are relating OK experiences. It can be a beer and popcorn read.

It depends whether Customs thinks you might resell it . If they believe its for your personal use you ought to be ok,

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote