Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #11

I've never been on a cruise, but the Mrs. would like to go someday, possibly to Alaska. I don't think this latest issue will stop us from going in the future. Cruises are pretty far back in our minds now though since we're getting so close to full-tilt camping season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
You hear and read about the absolute horrid experiences from some of the passengers but I also hear and read from others who said it wasn't near as bad as others said it was.
Surviving any situation (whether it be anything from a bad day at work to a meteor strike) depends quite a bit on your mindset. What dg1971 points out is a perfect example of that. You can have all the equipment and tools at your disposal but whether you say the situation is wonderful or horrible, you're absolutely right. Preparation is important, for sure. My grandfather used to say, "You can go to your grave laughing too, but isn't it better to go laughing than crying?" Haven't we all seen the proverbial camper that bumps his leg against the hitch ball and gets grease all over his pants? You can either laugh or complain about it but either way, it colors your experience. Personally, I'd try my best to be the guy who laughs at how much money he spent to use mutt mitts on vacation! Kim's right though, I'll take a few granola bars with me whenever I do get to take that first cruise!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
snip....... If we had to get towed back to port, Rustic Eagle would be rigging up some tow lines that would never snap since he could calculate the weight properly..... snip
.... plugging the numbers into my towing program as we speak...., just a little challenge figuring out how to account for the "bow-wave" effect

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Site Team

That does it....we need to talk up a JOF cruise sometime in the future. And if we can't get enough intrested to employ a big boat, we can always charter a large flat barge and take our Jayco's with us. We have enough talent and experience amoungst us to make it one heck of a trip.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Site Team

What happens on a cruise ship when someone says they saw a person in the water….!

Another reason WHY you keep some non-perishable food in your cabin when sailing!

What happens on a Princess cruise ship when someone says they saw a person in the water….!

I can tell ya it sucks when it’s dinner time *sigh* Geeky DH Ray had his scanner so here was the play-by-play once we were sent back to our cabins for a head count:
-Captain announces (initial) that there was a report of a person overboard and that all passengers must return to their cabins for a head count (it's about 5:40 pm and we were ordering dinner in main dining room on “formal night”)
-about 6pm, each staff member in charge on each of the different decks announce as there 'area' is confirmed cleared of passengers.
-shortly after 6pm, our steward comes through to visually account for each passenger on his watch.
-around this time, the scanner indicates that they are reviewing the video from that area.
-squawking on radio announces a “debrief” was occurring at 5:25pm
-Captain announces thanks at 6:40pm for cooperation so far and lets us know he will be back on when he knows more of what’s happening.
-6:50… all good. Confirmed all "souls" on Princess accounted for, and no maritime reports of missing persons along our route.

What was even better, no one griped about the situation and the evening went on a usual
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Site Team

We enjoy cruising even more now so that we are retired. We've cruised enough now to know how to do so 'safely'. So even after the "Splendor" situation in Fall 2010, or the recent Triumph disaster, we will definitely cruise again!

A good resource for those who cruise or would like to is CruiseCritic.com. The "Roll Call" forum is especially helpful for those looking to meet others on their future cruise who have 'private' shore tours booked (saves anywhere's up to 50% or more of what a cruise line will charge for the same tour and you are in a much smaller group!).
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #16

Just got back from sailin on Ncl and had a wonderful time!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Just got back from sailin on Ncl and had a wonderful time!
Where'd ya go?

We are currently at sea somewhere in the Pacific Besides the 'person overboard' scare, all is well and it's been smooth sailing. We already have our next couple of cruises booked... one being on Carnival in June
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #18

Been on one cruise with Carnival. We enjoyed it very much and will definitely go again. Problems happen, none on ours, but I am sure more than we hear of. My wife would have died if she was on the Triumph. She enjoys camping in our TT, but thats about as roughing it as she gets.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #19

We have cruised in the north Atlantic, Caribbean, Pacific and Mediterranean. Disney cruise with our kids was a really fun time. Have never cruised on Carnival so cannot say anything about them. Yes, I would cruise again but would not be as comfortable as before. Not just about the ship, but security issues depending on where we were in the world. We were on a cruise when Desert Storm started back in the 90ies. Security was tight and their was a certain uneasiness on board. Next cruise will be Alaska and then the Hawaiian Islands. Hope there isn't a Tsunami!