Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

Cats

Anyone take their cats camping with them? Specifically TT and dispersed camping, but open to any and all camping experiences. We are interested in taking our cats along with us next time. (always take the dog) appreciate any experienced advice or tips.
YelloDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #2

We always take our two cats...and our dog..every time we go with our travel trailer. We let them out on a leash under close supervision. Our previous cat love to sit on the center console of our truck. He went cross country twice. We called him Sam Sam the traveling man...he died of old age two years ago.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #3

Very kool. Thank you for the reply. Sounds like you were close with Sam. Sounds like he was a special cat. Our cats are young, a bit over a year old. They are somewhat shy and skittish, indoor cats. Do you have any suggestions about traveling with them and getting them used to being in a vehicle, not scared and meowing constantly? Also, do they get used to the leashes? We've put leashes on ours a few times but they don't really care for it. Any and all advice you wish to share would be appreciated!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

Also, what about litter box placement in truck and trailer?
Old 10-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloDuc View Post
Also, what about litter box placement in truck and trailer?
I can't help you with inside the truck, but I would suggest placing the litter box in the trailer bathroom beside the toilet.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #6

If the cats and dog get along you should be fine.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

We have the litter box in the shower, nothing in the truck. We usually make a stop every 3 hours or so...for us, the dog and put the cats in the RV for 20 minutes. We have cat carriers for both of the cats to move them from one vehicle to the other. One loves to go in the truck, the other meows so much that we had to get tranquilizers from the Vet to calm her down. Lately she has become more accustomed to traveling and is doing much better.

A picture of Sam Sam sleeping on his last RV trip. He was a stray that came to us 7 years prior, half starved and close to death. A truly special cat for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
5BD20C5C-3742-4A18-8C2B-B3D97F1D0193.jpeg  

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
We have the litter box in the shower, nothing in the truck. We usually make a stop every 3 hours or so...for us, the dog and put the cats in the RV for 20 minutes. We have cat carriers for both of the cats to move them from one vehicle to the other. One loves to go in the truck, the other meows so much that we had to get tranquilizers from the Vet to calm her down. Lately she has become more accustomed to traveling and is doing much better.

A picture of Sam Sam sleeping on his last RV trip. He was a stray that came to us 7 years prior, half starved and close to death. A truly special cat for sure.
You're good people rescuing him and giving him a good life. Our dog and both cats (brother and sister) are rescues. Your sam looks like our Ollie. He is a special cat to us, so loving and playful.
Yes, I would prefer to not have a litter box in the truck, so I'm thinking your 3 hour pit stops are probably what we'll do. Thank you again
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200510_144901453.jpg  
Old 10-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I can't help you with inside the truck, but I would suggest placing the litter box in the trailer bathroom beside the toilet.
Yah, I figured the bathroom as an obvious spot. I have rear bunks in my current TT and a large storage space beneath the bottom bunk. I am thinking of maybe trying to put in a kitty door and the litter box inside. Just curious what others had done.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Yah, I figured the bathroom as an obvious spot. I have rear bunks in my current TT and a large storage space beneath the bottom bunk. I am thinking of maybe trying to put in a kitty door and the litter box inside. Just curious what others had done.
That is a good idea. We have a bunk model and have that storage area also. There should be space to put some sort of door to access that area.

Our cat, approximately 10 months old now, was dropped off at our place by the barn by someone over the summer. It was completely emaciated when we found him. He's happy and healthy at this point. Not doing real well with the idea of the transition to being an inside pet. But, we are taking our time and hopefully he will become more comfortable being inside eventually. This is the first time we've taken in an abandoned animal. I didn't realize how much different they are as compared to ones that are loved from the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails
20200812_123744.jpg  
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

Funny I have a found cat laying in my lap as I type. Took months to get him to get within feet of me. We had two cats before this one and they were loving on their terms. We would wish we had a lap and more loving kitty and we got our wish. We now wish we had a less needy cat. lol We haven't traveled with him yet but he does travel to the vet better than the last 2. Back to yellowduc's question. Anyone have tips for harness and leash training.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #12

Absolutely.
Back in the day, we had a rather elderly pop-up, which needed almost constant repair and maintenance. I was underneath it, in the driveway, prepping for a trip, when I heard a tiny squeaking, which turned out to a very young and very greasy "flame-point" kitten, hiding up in the wheel well.

Once we pulled her out, she moved right in with us. Since we were about to head out on a 650 mile trip, and didn't want to leave such a young kitten in the house unattended, we took her along, and she fit right in, sitting on the centre console of the Jeep and watching the world go by, then running around the CG on a leash, even climbing trees.

The litter box went in the shower, except on those occasions when we wanted to use it.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #13

We've taken our cat when we camped with a travel trailer and now in our Class C. Both have traveled well and we enjoyed having them along. With the travel trailer, we put the litter box and food and water in the back seat of the truck while driving without any issues. When parked, the litter box usually goes in the bathroom, sometimes in the shower. Our current feline friend has been to 14 states. He started traveling when he was very young and adapted well. Good luck with the kitties.
Dynamo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Anyone take their cats camping with them? Specifically TT and dispersed camping, but open to any and all camping experiences. We are interested in taking our cats along with us next time. (always take the dog) appreciate any experienced advice or tips.
Cats always go with us and they now have their traveling area. Spooky, the black cat on the left, is hard to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	93B90BA1-6863-4ECB-8B2B-5AF2ECDF1FAA.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	64377

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2854F5F-4B2E-4BEE-ACF4-A6D281DD2F17.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	64376
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #15

Thank you, everyone, for your advice and anecdotes. I think we will take our kitties along on our next adventure!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #16

We travel with ours all the time, usually dispersed camping. This is the second cat we have had that camps. We cut a cat door that gives her access to the litter box, which we put in the passthrough. Our cat prefers to ride in the trailer, but sometimes we bring her into the tow vehicle.
When we get to the campsite, I usually put up a "runner" by tying a rope between two trees and attaching the handle of her retractable leash to it, with a carabiner.
Heat does not seem to be an issue, as long as we can handle it, the cat does fine. However, we live in the NW where it not usually too hot and always park the trailer under a shade tree. If we are camping in the desert, in the dead of summer, we fire up the genny and make sure the AC was on before we leave camp.
IMO cats are easier to camp with than dogs. They are pretty self sufficient, just food, water, litter box and they are content. Also, no 5AM wakeup wet noses to take the dog for a walk. Have to admit, I do miss my dog, though.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #17

Our cat comes with us now. Tends to hide for the first day or so and then try to escape into hard to reach places. I never leave cabinet door open anymore.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #18

We always take our cat. She wants to ride on the console of the truck so I fixed something that sits on the console with PVC that goes into one of the cup holders for support. Once in the 5th wheel she pretty much zonks out of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-06-13_16-06-49.jpg  
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #19

Talking Jimmy Almost Went Camping.

Kind of off topic, but your question reminds me of an incident this past spring. One Sunday afternoon I was in and out of the camper prepping for our departure in several days. I had the compartment doors latched open to access my tools and gear not thinking too much about it, coming to and from the house to retrieve supplies. I finished up, closed the compartment doors and called it a day. Monday passed and Tuesday morning my girls start asking if I had seen Jimmy lately. (Jimmy was an outside stray that had adopted us). Still no sign on Jimmy on Tuesday. Not even remotely thinking of missing cat, Wednesday evening I decided to finish packing the TT for our Thursday morning departure. I go out by the TT and hear a faint meowing. It's Jimmy, in the forward compartment, behind the closed hatch door. So I opened the door and he sticks his head out. Looking sleepy he stares at me and jumps out. So 3 days in the compartment storage, Im expecting a mess to clean up. I could certainly smell it but hadn't found it. Turns out he did all his business in a cardboard box that had leveling blocks turned upside down in it. Liquids and solids securely in the recesses of the blocks. Jimmy doesn't live with us anymore, he is an inside/outside cat on my Brother In law's farm and they call him King Jimmy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0174.jpg  
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #20

Cats

We have been waiting for our numbers and medical conditions to stabilize before RVing. Probably this coming season. (Down to 2 from 9) We were adopted over time by prospective owners who, after checking out the food and accommodations, determined the "Staffing of the location" acceptable.

Ours are indoors now, though they were indoor/outdoor before. Safety conditions being the reason for the change.

We have taken ours out on a harness after a long period of not being out. Get a harness that has a removable leash. Put the harness on them while they are inside and let them get used to it. A little at a time. At first ours would not move. Then a little. Then some more. They get used to wearing it. We then added the leash and took them outside. Same set up. no movement, then a little, then ultimately, "Come on Staff.... Your holding up my investigation."

My only concern with a previous mentioned "we hang up a line run- leader" for outside is other people's "NOT Controlled" animals attacking while vulnerable. That and not paying enough attention to them and allowing them to escaping from the RV at just the wrong time / location.
Eldecker is offline   Reply With Quote