Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

CG water etiquette?

The DW and I are planning a 9 day family excursion this summer to a few state CGs in central and southern Missouri that have electric only sites. We have always relied on sites with city water when camping but I tested the FW tank and pump and know the system is in working order. A co-worker suggested I pick sites that are close to a spigot, connect a splitter to the spigot and run extra hoses to my TT's city connection. Is this practice frowned upon or even permitted at some CGs?

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

I see it done all the time but most often they connect using a T or Y fitting with a shutoff so that is someone needs water they can do so without unhooking you. I always use my tank and pump and just fill up when I need water.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

You wouldn't get away with it in Illinois state parks. If they are electric only sites, they are electric only. Here the site techs will call you on it. You might run the hose, fill your tank and disconnect. Or might I suggest, stop, fill tank and occupy site
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

I would not attempt it, you could end up with 2 flat tires and a cut up hose. As you already know it's a good idea not to leave anything of value left out overnight and you always lock your car and you've done nothing wrong.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

I also think it's bad form to do so but in the south we just mind our own business as long as we have access to water. I have removed a hose and added a Y so I could fill my tank but since I am camping and in a camping mood (happy not to be working) I didn't say anything to the person that was hooked to the spigot.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff61 View Post
You wouldn't get away with it in Illinois state parks. If they are electric only sites, they are electric only. Here the site techs will call you on it. You might run the hose, fill your tank and disconnect. Or might I suggest, stop, fill tank and occupy site
X2 and I've been to parks that have removed the threaded fitting except at the "official" tank fill stations.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Personally I think it's ok to refill your fresh tank, but I think it is inconsiderate to stay hooked up regardless of using a Y or Tee.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

You could run a hose temporarily to fill your tank. Most places don't allow you to stay hooked to a community water spigot. I do carry one or two six gallon jugs if needed. With our current unit we can last several days with the onboard fresh water. Your other issue is emptying the waste water holding tanks. You may need to make a trip(s) to the dump site with the trailer or with a portable tank.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #9

To hook up a hose and refill, then disconnect, is fine. To stay hooked up to the spigot is against the campground rules in some areas.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

Depends on the state and the campground. Here in Minnesota very few campsites are setup to have a reasonable length of hose to get to a hose to a spigot. Some are, and then you need a long hose, a wye.

What I do, is plan to fill as I pull in, sometimes this is at a fill station near or at the dump station, or a spigot alongside the camp road, for example near the bathhouse. I also carry a 5 gallon water jug, and a “water bandit”. The water bandit is designed to fit on spigots that do not have threads, or very poor threads, and then you can hook a hose to it.

Call the CGs that you plan on visiting and ask about water filling.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

« Snow | Trailer sway »