Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Chime in if your RV is in the older crowd

Chime in if your RV is in the 10 years or older crowd.

"They don't make them like the used to."

Old RVs rule!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

2006 Select 12HW a beast of a popup
the Beast, that's my Jayco Select 12HW...
Little Monster, my Little Guy T@B
Roux 'b Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

2007 19H. Now that I replaced the entire roof/ceiling and half of the rotted floor it is great! I blame the previous owner for meglecting the a/c gasket. By the time I caught it (less that a year after purchase) the damage had been done. The gasket will get replaced every other year no matter how well it appears to be holding up - less than $20 for a gasket vs. $2000 for the repairs (that's just parts, I did the labor) is well worth it.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I made mine for fulltime even during the Canadian winters. I am happy with the unit, its paid for and will last me another 100 years. That's a Jayco.............smile! No worries about warranties, no worries about payments and are self sufficient in repair and maintaining. And the best thing is I can camp year round..........finding the time in my second youth is another story. Happy camping!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
2007 19H. Now that I replaced the entire roof/ceiling and half of the rotted floor it is great! I blame the previous owner for meglecting the a/c gasket. By the time I caught it (less that a year after purchase) the damage had been done. The gasket will get replaced every other year no matter how well it appears to be holding up - less than $20 for a gasket vs. $2000 for the repairs (that's just parts, I did the labor) is well worth it.
Ignorance, that's my game these days. I always find something new I don't know. What and where is the a/c gasket? My poor Beast has been neglected for quite a while, don't know how long to be honest, but it's been awhile. So I'm willing to bet the a/c gasket, whatever and wherever needs attention. Thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

We own 2000 Qwest 5th wheel.
Pull our dominator boat behind it.
Meadowlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Roux 'b Doux; Well if you have an A/C on top of the roof, it sit on this gasket. On the inside of your RV there is a A/C vent cover which can be removed and there you can see if your a/c gasket is leaking. Also you can see four bolts, when they are loose you can tighten (equal pressure) them but not to tight. Replaced myself a few of them. I have pictures of the procedure. So hope this helps
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Roux 'b Doux; Well if you have an A/C on top of the roof, it sit on this gasket. On the inside of your RV there is a A/C vent cover which can be removed and there you can see if your a/c gasket is leaking. Also you can see four bolts, when they are loose you can tighten (equal pressure) them but not to tight. Replaced myself a few of them. I have pictures of the procedure. So hope this helps
What he said ! & you should replace that gasket every 4-5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
What he said ! & you should replace that gasket every 4-5 years.
Thank you the pictures help. Gasket, check, getting one soon as I find out what size, etc. for my a/c. Thank you
Old 06-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
It certainly helps. I'm not just a newbie here, but very obviously a newbie to trailers, popups especially. This is all new to me. Learning a lot from all the experienced folk here. thank you very much.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Team

A 2000 (Y2K) Jayco Eagle 266 FBS TT

We also had a 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up. One of my sons owns it now so it's still in the family. It's pictured below with its "tow vehicle" (the real tow vehicle is a Ford F-150). Note the air conditioner he installed in the front next to the propane tank.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Roux 'b Doux; a handy lady like you can handle the job. When you remove the electrical, just mark where everything goes. But a blanket on the roof and put the A/C on its side like Tunce's picture is shown. On my RV's I always improved the situation by lifting roof material and install 1/2 x 2" strips under the roof material, to make a "Dutch Dyke" to prevent water-pooling intrusion. My seal lasted over 12 years. On hard fiberglass tops this procedure can be done with nylon strips of the same size, glued with 2 way tape.
Texas weather is too hot for me, my heart melts with 70 F / 20 C, so it never get much above 90 F/ 30 C in the Rocky Mountains here and nights are cool to have a great snooze. Do lots of jobs for my neighbors when they need help. You have fun with your projects........"where there's a will, there's a way".
Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Texas weather is too hot for me, my heart melts with 70 F / 20 C, so it never get much above 90 F/ 30 C in the Rocky Mountains here and nights are cool to have a great snooze. Do lots of jobs for my neighbors when they need help. You have fun with your projects........"where there's a will, there's a way".
Thank you for the information about the air and working on it. I'll keep the information and probably work on my a/c as you said. Keep your fingers crossed. As for Texas weather, it's to hot for me too, matter of fact I hate summers here, not fond of late spring or early fall either. That's one of the reasons I got a trailer/camper, so I can get away for as long as I need. Rockies sound good too. I'm looking for cool. :-)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Folks,

We've gotten a bit off-topic here with the posts on roof repairs and A/C gaskets to the point that they're making the topic of the OP's thread hard to the follow. If you wish to continue this off-topic conversation, please start a new thread in a forum that best fits the topic.

If someone does start a new thread and sends me a PM with the thread's title and what forum it's in, I'll be happy to move all the posts that relate to it in this thread to the new one so there will be a complete history of the conversation.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Frank (FPM III)
JOF Moderator

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

Mine is a 94' RK3050 with metal sides and a super slide.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #16

I have a 95, Jayco 1207 that’s been heavily modified. Lifted on 32” tires, 5K axle w/brakes, extended frame front/rear, pressurized water, outdoor shower, quick connect LP throughout camper, LED’s.
Attached Thumbnails
BC4ABCF5-2F0D-4966-9B28-3294D6BC7231.jpg   485957B3-2E5C-4590-A18F-E104C0E16055.jpg   5BE51D92-F9AA-4E33-AF7D-DB18E32E5485.jpg   A6758BD9-5850-41A2-A6EB-3D843CCD5994.jpg  
Old 08-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #17

We got our '04 21FB 4 years ago and it looked like it had been lightly used and well kept. It gets plenty of use now and suits us, me and she who must be obeyed, just fine. Has all we want the oven is great, apple turnovers while boondocking is a real treat.
I added a 100W panel to keep the battery up and a small genny for when it's overcast. Swapped out the nasty, noisy aluminum blinds for cordless cellular shades for light control. Got a bigger battery last year, still have the new when we got the TT for a spare and new tires this year.
It has been hassle free and I'm planning storage upgrades, drawers under the bed (instead of the lift and lean) and the dinette and a larger opening (2nd door) for the wardrobe in the bath. That was the one thing about the unit, the storage access is tricky. I don't bend as well as I used to anymore.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #18

1997 Jayco 37 foot 5th wheel here
Harpman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #19

2007Jayco Jayfeather Ex-Port 17C
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #20

For the first time when making a reservation last month I was asked for the type, length and model year. I have heard of parks where they won't let you in if your rig is beyond a certain age, but have never run into one. Guess I've always stayed in the low rent end of town. Not sure if that would have been an issue in this place.

I think I'd be a little insulted if I had a vintage Airstream that is worth more than most new RV's.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote