Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #1

Cold weather camping issues

It's a balmy 31 degrees at Winton Woods CG in Cincinnati this morning. We will actually be able to connect to fresh water today.

The night before last it got down to 16. I walked my dog early that morning and noticed a couple of TT casualties. Two campers stayed fully connected at FHU sites - frozen fresh water intake (don't know about tanks and plumbing lines) and sewer hoses. One left early and left his sewer hose on his site. I can understand not traveling with a frozen sewer hose, but he could at least have hauled it to a dumpster. The other had an accumulation of ice on the fresh water fill port that extended to the ground.

I think both of them are in for a surprise the next time they hookup or fill with water.

Edit: There is a modern, clean, and heated restroom with showers in the CG.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

We have camped in the early spring under conditions like that, but always with the TT in a winterized state. We carried water in a 5 gallon jug for drinking or cooking purposes, and make good use of the CG'c heated facilities. I guess those folks were not prepared to cope with freezing weather conditions.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

X2 David472.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your only about 4 miles from my house.
Hopefully the stink bugs are gone. We're still finding them at home.

A little chilly, but makes for good camping.

Safe travels,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
We have camped in the early spring under conditions like that, but always with the TT in a winterized state. We carried water in a 5 gallon jug for drinking or cooking purposes, and make good use of the CG'c heated facilities. I guess those folks were not prepared to cope with freezing weather conditions.
They must not have been. We don't usually get a FHU site to keep the cost down, but this time of year it makes sense. It doesn't take much time to disconnect and winterize - especially at a FHU site. And setup the next day is just as easy.

It's been cold most of the time, but we only had one day we had to use the "5 gallon jug" - the blue one from Walmart that probably about 99% of us have.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Your only about 4 miles from my house.
Hopefully the stink bugs are gone. We're still finding them at home.

A little chilly, but makes for good camping.

Safe travels,
Doug
I knew you were in the area, but not that close. We're spending the next couple of whole days at our son's house before we go south. We are first year snowbirds and scrambling to get ready for the trip.

The stink bugs are not completely gone. We see very few now , but I know we have some wintering-over with us. Yesterday, I had to tighten a connection on the water heater and I found about a dozen of them in the compartment.

Thanks for the safe travel wishes.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #7

I was camping last MLK weekend at the beach. It actually snowed! First time I have seen snow at Myrtle Beach. Anyways, woke up to 2 things! COLD!!!!.....ran out of propane in one tank in the middle of the night, and my propane tank doesn't switch over automatically. And a frozen fresh water hose from the connection to the TT. Called front office and they sent a guy with a hair dryer who thawed out the water connection!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

One time in late March, we were camped at Valdosta GA, and we woke up to snow, 2 inches deep on the ground. We had heard the forecast though. Stayed off the roads too, until about noon.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

I had my water lines freeze up a couple of times while camping during hunting season in state parks in Nebraska. Had electrical hook-up, so just turned up the furnace & space heater, opened the cabinet doors under the sink, and they thawed out in an hour or so. No damage either. Guess I was just lucky. With the enclosed/heated underbelly, that shouldn't happen again.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #10

We got caught in a snow storm a few years back. If it has the potential of being cold I always crank up the heater and leave the water hose empty and disconnected. I also make sure the grey water valve is left closed. I don't like ice dams! We use pump water to run the trailer. We use the same method with our new Greyhawk. It works well. Oh one really important note if you intend on doing much cold weather camping it is a really good idea to run a mechanical dehumidifier to keep the humidity down.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #11

Ditto on the dehumidifier idea. Experienced significant problem with condensation on windows with heat on and outside temps below 40 even into the 20's. Actually had water on the floor that had overflowed off the window. Remembered to towel off the tracks and wipe down the windows in the morning and again in the evening.

Is there a small lightweight dehumiderfier?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #12

I got an automatic small mechanical dehumidifier on Costco.com.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote