Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Costco memberships

I have a membership to Costco too before people think I'm hating but find it funny how many fulltimers have memberships. Seems a bad combination to me. Lol. Anyways. On my way to Costco to pick up a mattress topper!
mjcromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcromp View Post
I have a membership to Costco too before people think I'm hating but find it funny how many fulltimers have memberships.
Not if you have a business membership and their AMEX CC with 4% cash back on fuel. That check always looks mighty nice every year.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #3

Grumpy does that only work at fueling up at a Costco?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Grumpy does that only work at fueling up at a Costco?
No, any fuel purchases. You just have to cash the check at COSTCO , no purchase needed, they just cash the check.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No, any fuel purchases. You just have to cash the check at COSTCO , no purchase needed, they just cash the check.
And be sure to separate fuel from any other purchase. $100 in fuel and $1 for the water cuts the cashback to something much lower. I fuel a lot and the Costco associated AE rebate is nice to get.

If you wear glasses, the membership more than pays for itself in exam and eye glass savings.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a Costco addict
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
And be sure to separate fuel from any other purchase. $100 in fuel and $1 for the water cuts the cashback to something much lower.
Yep, pay at the pump and then buy the water.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #7

We don't use Costco because we don't like how they package things.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Sure wish Costco sold diesel...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a membership to Costco too before people think I'm hating but find it funny how many fulltimers have memberships. Seems a bad combination to me. Lol. Anyways. On my way to Costco to pick up a mattress topper!
Guess I don't follow your logic about fulltimers and Costco? I tend to prefer Sams club but think they are about the same concept. Just one personal story concerning Costco. About 8 years ago my son-in-law purchased a DLP flat screen for us. DLP was a good set, but very outdated when it died in 2013. I remembered that Costco offered a lifetime replacement on TV's and after a call to my son-in-law to verify the coverage I loaded the dead TV in the truck on our next visit north. After signing a couple forms they let me choose a replacement without regard to the price, just had to be similar in size. The 46" LED smart tv had a Costco price that was 60% more than what we paid for the DLP but an even exchange was made. Costco no longer offers the lifetime coverage but signed me up for a 5 year extended warrantee again totally free of charge. PS: I'm not a Costco member and the membership we used was my SIL's dad's account.

My point is there are a lot of things like electronics, outdoor accessories, and household items where you can get great deals at Costco. For the minimal cost of a membership, the marriage of fulltimers and Costco seems to make sense for a lot of people.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
They do at some stations, but in limited areas. There was a rumor floating that they were going to add it to all stations, so we'll see.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #11

Bassdogs what I meant by that was small house and a bulk store. Congrats on the tv.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #12

Costco is hard to beat for drugs, eye glasses, electronics, and Michelin tire sales every October.
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Bassdogs what I meant by that was small house and a bulk store. Congrats on the tv.
The "club" stores like sams and Costco offer more than just bulk purchases. The bulk items are primarily in the durible food section but the majority of the products available are regular quanities and consumer packaging but often at better prices and in a one stop shop.

Considering that memberships are not expensive, these clubs generally can offer a good value for RV'ers making periodic trips to resupply or to replace a tv, coffeemaker, microwave etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #14

+ Kirkland (Costco housebrand) TP is septic safe and much softer than the RV types sold.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #15

Old post but Costco will take anything back if you're not happy with it to include food if the package isn't empty of course.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
+ Kirkland (Costco housebrand) TP is septic safe and much softer than the RV types sold.
I heard the exact opposite of it being septic safe. My house is on septic.
Just last week I told the DW to stop buying it, although I like it.
Now I would like to get to the bottom of it.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #17

My wife and I are Sam's Club members. I had a Costco Executive membership at one time with the AmEx card. It was nice but I ended up cancelling the membership and the card. I had to argue with their policies.
First off, before I relate what happened; let me explain, my DW and I live virtually debt free. We have one credit card which stays at home in the safe most of the time. We only carry it on long trips or when we fly somewhere. We never use it for any sort of frivolous purchase, strictly emergencies which exceed cash on hand (whats in the bank). Usually it has a zero balance, and see very little use (maybe twice per year?).
When I opened the the Costco membership with the AmEx credit card (this is the American Express which can have a balance on it and is not required to be paid off every month), they gave me a very high limit. We started out with this card with the thought of it being our main card which would be utilized as I described above. After the second year of membership, we received a letter saying they were cutting out credit limit in half. When we called and inquired as to why they told us because if was from lack of use. Ok, so we started using it for our Costco purchases, and we would simply pay the balance in full every month. Nine months (almost to the day) they sent us another letter telling us they were cutting our credit limit in half again. When we called this time they actually told us it was because after review of our account we have a usage history but no balance history. This is when the argument started and went to some high level personnel. It short, they wanted people who would have a balance who could be charged interest so they can make a little money. Well that is not me. So we cancelled the card and closed the account and ended our membership with Costco.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
My wife and I are Sam's Club members. I had a Costco Executive membership at one time with the AmEx card. It was nice but I ended up cancelling the membership and the card. I had to argue with their policies.
First off, before I relate what happened; let me explain, my DW and I live virtually debt free. We have one credit card which stays at home in the safe most of the time. We only carry it on long trips or when we fly somewhere. We never use it for any sort of frivolous purchase, strictly emergencies which exceed cash on hand (whats in the bank). Usually it has a zero balance, and see very little use (maybe twice per year?).
When I opened the the Costco membership with the AmEx credit card (this is the American Express which can have a balance on it and is not required to be paid off every month), they gave me a very high limit. We started out with this card with the thought of it being our main card which would be utilized as I described above. After the second year of membership, we received a letter saying they were cutting out credit limit in half. When we called and inquired as to why they told us because if was from lack of use. Ok, so we started using it for our Costco purchases, and we would simply pay the balance in full every month. Nine months (almost to the day) they sent us another letter telling us they were cutting our credit limit in half again. When we called this time they actually told us it was because after review of our account we have a usage history but no balance history. This is when the argument started and went to some high level personnel. It short, they wanted people who would have a balance who could be charged interest so they can make a little money. Well that is not me. So we cancelled the card and closed the account and ended our membership with Costco.
Other than a co branded card, and Costco gets a small amount for each new card they sell, Costco does not get any money from Amex for any balances. By having the exclusive they get lower upfront credit card costs. I also have an Amex Costco card, I never carry a balance and pay it off each month. My limit is many many times higher than I have EVER had charged on the card, and each year they keep raising the limit. I could actually buy a new truck on my credit card and I don't think I've ever had more than $5,000 - $6,000 on it which was paid off when it came do.

As to Costcos return policy, some items, mostly electronics has a 90 day or otherwise shorter return policy. Your correct in that they will take anything back, for almost any reason at any time with no questions asked. A policy I personally do not agree with, but, 99% do not abuse it.

Starting this year, most likely later this summer or fall, Costco in the US is switching from Amex to Citi Visa, but will accept all visa cards. They have not announced the incentives for the new card, but I am sure they will be better than the incentives on Amex. Plus, it allows many more customers to use their existing visa card, rather than having to obtain an Amex card.

I too have a Sam Club membership but find it being used rarely. Costco is further away from my location, but the quality, especially meats is superb at Costco and marginal at Sam's, at least this Sam's. Plus as executive members at Costco we get the rewards which more than pays for our membership.

The Costco TP does say safe for septic systems. That being said, does not mean it is also RV safe. The RV paper is much quicker to break down than septic paper. RV paper is only in the tank for a very short period of time, normally less than a week, while the paper in a septic system has months to break down. I would not recommend using a non RV paper in your RV. I have witnessed too many instances of paper clogs in an RV because they used the wrong type. It's not something you want to have to deal with. Like so many things you may get away with it 100 times, and then the 101 you have an issue.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Other than a co branded card, and Costco gets a small amount for each new card they sell, Costco does not get any money from Amex for any balances. By having the exclusive they get lower upfront credit card costs. I also have an Amex Costco card, I never carry a balance and pay it off each month. My limit is many many times higher than I have EVER had charged on the card, and each year they keep raising the limit. I could actually buy a new truck on my credit card and I don't think I've ever had more than $5,000 - $6,000 on it which was paid off when it came do.

I do know and understand, the AmEx was just a branded card and not connected with Costco. Back in 2007 when I opened the membership and got the card, I could easily purchase a new truck on the card and still have room for extras. It just irritated me that they would cut my limit in half because I didn't use it at all that first two years. I figured it would just be left alone. I know the business model and knew they would not raise my limit without a usage track record. I ended my costco membership (which was a separate call) because of guilt by association. lol. realistically, there is nothing wrong that I know of with Costco. We do the Sams club thing because of their association with WalMart and because Sams club is much closer to home for us than Costco.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #20

Diesel at Costco

Quote:
And they do! I was in email communications with them on this topic and they pointed me to their DIESEL LOCATIONS webpage; click the link and see.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote