Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Couple of Needs

Great labor day weekend at collins lake here in Nor Cal. On my excursion I determined there were a few things I need, and was wondering opinions of you all on them
1. I am in need of a new Deep cycle battery. Currently my interstate battery just doesn't seem to hold a charge as much as I think it should. What brand battery do you recommend?

2. Anyone use a scooter around the campground? I am 220 lbs and am wanting a battery or internal combustion engine (2 or 4 stroke) scooter to get from point a to point b. Saw some folks on them this weekend but they went by to fast for me to get the brand. They were stand up scooters but also had seats. I need / want something that I can either put in the car or camper when not in use. So not a Vespa type scooter. One of those Lime ones (www.li.me) but it needs to be able to be on gravel not just concrete

3. Solar lighting. I want a real bright solar lantern. My goal is for it to be solar charging all day and be ready for 4-6 hours at night.

4. What is your solar set up if you have one. Are you happy with it or what would you do differently if you had ot do it all over again
FastCletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #2

I currently have a pair of Costco 12 volt deep cycle batteries in my Greyhawk. They seem to work OK but when it comes time for replacement I will be going with a pair of 6 volt ones, which I also saw at Costco. From what I read here you get more capacity with a pair of 6 volts and they are more up to the task of deep cycling.

I have a pair of 100 watt Windy Nation solar panels on the roof that also work well. Purchased through Amazon where I get everything. I'm glad I went with the 200 watt kit as I don't think 100 watts would have been enough for much. I can pretty much have the TV/Direct TV on all day through the inverter without sucking the batteries down.

Side note - I have been contemplating a trip to Napa for the family. I think the train ride to a vineyard would be fun. Any suggestions for campground?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote