Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #1

Dead battery at the dump station... or was it?

Thought I'd share a humorous tale and learning experience. You could call it "how I learned about the chassis battery disconnect".

It was the last weekend before putting "the cabin" into hibernation so I was finishing up the season-ending tasks. It had been a few weeks since it ran, and the chassis battery was noticeably sluggish to crank the starter. But it started so I added it to my wintertime "check or replace" list and moved on.

Made it to the dump station. Parked, shut down, and completed the dump/rinse as intended. Got back in, key on/start... CLICK. Nothing. Odd I just drove it 25 minutes and the alternator didn't charge up the battery??
Ok... try the auxiliary start button, CLICK. Already knew the house battery needs to be replaced this year... guess I'll attempt to crank up the generator. House battery barely had enough juice to get the onboard gen going but it managed... that was a pucker moment.
Over the next 15-20 minutes I tried several times to start, each time holding the auxiliary start button for longer and longer periods of time thinking it needed to charge up more. By this time my wife has already started enroute from home with jumper cables and the line is backing up behind me.

It was my first season with the Greyhawk. I'd only needed aux start once or twice, but it seemed strange to me that I'd have to hold it for any length of time especially with the generator running. Then it occurred to me, I'm still not getting any starter turnover. Not even a click now. When I let go of the aux start button, chassis goes completely dead. Hmm that's odd, maybe I blew the main fuse.

Open the hood and that's when I spot the circular screw-in disconnect. I unscrewed it completely out -- noting it was already loose -- and screwed it back in snug. I heard the chassis electronics "click" on as I did so.

Got back in, engine started like it was a brand new battery. The folks waiting in line behind me were out of their vehicles talking amongst themselves, I jumped in and departed the area in such a hurry I'm not sure they saw me leave.

I left the engine running at my subsequent stops LOL

Since then the chassis battery has tested just fine on a load tester, and it's only a couple of years old so it's not being replaced.
The house battery is 6 years old and started showing its age during this past season so it's being replaced.

If we aren't learning from it then how can it be an enjoyable experience?

"The Cabin" - 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #2

Soon you'll be the guy in line imparting wisdom on someone with a "dead" battery. I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #3

Good find!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:58 PM   #4

I'm having the same issue as the original poster however I'm not understanding his remedy. Can someone explain what the item is under the hood he unscrewed and then screwed back in?
Rogue Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:14 PM   #5

Well I figured out what the original poster was referring to under the hood. It's the engine battery quick disconnect on the negative terminal. I thought this was an aftermarket item installed on our unit. I had cleaned the standard posts and clamps on our engine battery but still had a no-start condition. After reading this post I thoroughly cleaned the quick disconnect clamp and connection to the battery negative terminal. Our no-start condition was solved! Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out.
Rogue Runner is offline   Reply With Quote