Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
OK, so do you want to piss off your unknown neighbor reporting you? Get one of those not so real fire pits that have those fake fires that look real. Bring it outside after it gets dark, along with a small electric heater and no one can really make out what it is. Make sure that there are no yard lights on, hide the electric extension cord, and then plug the phony fire pit in. All that should be seen is the imitation fire. It would be even greater to get one of those non fire smoke machines to enhance the no fire, fire.

Well, that unknown neighbor will probably be furious and you can already imagine their next step, have a copy of the complete city ordinances ready for when you know who arrives, so that you can discuss imitation fires, and its relationship to the city ordinance. If they would like. Ask them if they would like to stay for a hot chocolate, unfortunately made in the microwave? Thank them for coming.

If this happened a few times the individuals arriving would more than likely get aggravated with the unknown reporting neighbor..... Now to really PISS off the unknown reporting neighbor, go outside the Denver city limits with your fire wood, build a small fire with marshmallows, DW, enjoy about 15 minutes of a nice camp fire, take pictures, then put it out with water, make sure they are totally out... and some how transport them back to your yard and hide them. The next night pull out your imitation fire, crank it up, the both of you have a hot chocolate, then shut it down, move the imitation fire pit inside. Sneak out in the dark and put the burnt fire wood in the area where the imitation fire pit was.... I am sure the unknown reporting neighbor will notice them and really get pissed. But you will be the only one walking around with a SMILE on your face.

Have fun

Don
We have very similar, somewhat evil minds I think.

Not to digress too much but the neighbor I suspect is a total floozie... (trying to be as PC as possible here), let's just say I see more men coming and going from her house on a weekly basis than our local hardware store. I imagine she has one of those 'Now serving number xxx' Deli counters above her nasty bed. Other than that, she lives alone and has a small fleet of ankle biting dogs that other neighbors (not me) are constantly reporting her for.

All of my other neighbors are good friends, and we have BBQ's over here all the time together. I'm going to test out the theory, next time she's not home I'll construct a larger, smokier fire than normal... I'll put a small grill on top of the chimney just in case the FD does show up I can say I'm making hot dogs or whatever and they can be on their merry way, I hate wasting FD resources but, it's worth it for this one test.... I bet they don't show up, ever when she's snaking her way through the local bar scene looking for action.

Work is kind of slow now so I can make this my hobby for a while. Since I've found a loophole in the law, I'm not worried about it anymore but I like to know who's on my team, and who isn't when we share a fence line. I've gone out of my way to help this woman multiple times... helped rescue one of her dogs from a fox hole that was under her deck that he fell into, fixed her lawn mower for her when she filled up the gas tank with motor oil, I've gone out of my way to *not* toss my dogs crap into her back yard, etc. I think she's just a miserable woman that wants to take the rest of us down with her.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #22

Just have some marshmallows or wieners on a stick handy and enjoy your fireplace.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
That's why I live in the sticks. Shoot gophers, have fires, run around at midnight howling at the moon....or all three at once
What he said!! Love our wide open space.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #24

Interesting, isn't it?
You can raise chickens and goats within the Denver city limits, but can't have a fire when there is snow on the ground. This is why I moved away from the big city (suburban Chicago) when I was 18 and have never lived in a big city or metro area since then, mostly small rural towns of 3k to around 10k population.

Those big cities have too many people, too many politicians, and too many crazies.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
That's why I live in the sticks. Shoot gophers, have fires, run around at midnight howling at the moon....or all three at once
X2 The whole county we live in only has one traffic light! I moved from Tampa/Orlando area on I-4 which is solid congestion about 10 years ago when I retired. Haven't looked back!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
X2 The whole county we live in only has one traffic light! I moved from Tampa/Orlando area on I-4 which is solid congestion about 10 years ago when I retired. Haven't looked back!
Gotcha beat. Zero traffic lights in the whole County I live in.....

I visit my son in the city and get claustrophobic in about 2 hours. I don't know how city dwellers can do it day in and day out. Weather warmed up tonight so we are going to blast off some fireworks, light a bonfire, hitch up the horses and go for a wagon ride.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Interesting, isn't it?
You can raise chickens and goats within the Denver city limits, but can't have a fire when there is snow on the ground. This is why I moved away from the big city (suburban Chicago) when I was 18 and have never lived in a big city or metro area since then, mostly small rural towns of 3k to around 10k population.

Those big cities have too many people, too many politicians, and too many crazies.
There are some crazies out here in the country, but yeehaw good crazy....
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #28

Do you guys out in the sticks ever get concerned about lack of hospitals, etc as you get older? I'm perfectly fine leaving behind access to Rockies games, Broncos, theater, bars, 90+% of the jobs I am qualified for 6 big box (home depot type) places within 10 minutes and acres of hot women for the country life, but some lingering concerns about abandoning the city entirely remain. Guess I just have to go for it to find out, but as I start getting a bit older I think I'd have access to medical as a big down side potentially. Just trying to weigh it all out..
Old 12-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Do you guys out in the sticks ever get concerned about lack of hospitals, etc as you get older? I'm perfectly fine leaving behind access to Rockies games, Broncos, theater, bars, 90+% of the jobs I am qualified for 6 big box (home depot type) places within 10 minutes and acres of hot women for the country life, but some lingering concerns about abandoning the city entirely remain. Guess I just have to go for it to find out, but as I start getting a bit older I think I'd have access to medical as a big down side potentially. Just trying to weigh it all out..
I figure because I live in the country, eat beef that I raise, vegetables from my wife's 1 acre garden, and spend most of my time in the fresh air, that I might not have been the same need for a hospital that somebody who eats chemical covered veggies, hormone antibiotic filled meat, and sucks in smog filled air, all surrounded by millions of people carrying who knows what, might have.

That being said we are an hour and a half to a major hospital and 30 minutes to a small hospital. I don't worry about it.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #30

I was hoping you'd say that. I come from a pretty small town, went to Atlanta which kind of freaked me out, landed in Denver which suited me pretty well for 20 years or so now, and I'm ready to hang it up I think. Only problem really is I'm in my 'prime' earning years and if I ever want some of the really nice campers I see on here, Class A, etc.. I might be sacrificing that as well. Guess I'll have to sleep on it over the winter, get my over valued home ready to sell and make the tough decision next year. Appreciate the input. Like how this thread has evolved too.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #31

Everybody has choices to make and priorities that force certain decisions. I found a way to make an exceptional living and live in the peace and quiet of the country. I will emphasize that country living has its challenges. I have a well that needs babysitting, a septic system that requires some tlc, 4 acres of grass to cut and eighty acres of fences and corrals that always seem to need fixing. We do not go out to movies, rarely out for dinner, no broadway lights or the other trappings of city life. I spend evenings in rubber muck boots and carhart pants and jackets. Every time the toilet flushes or water comes out of the tap I breathe a sigh of relief. Last night I had to muck out the barn. Glamorous living.....

Wouldnt trade it for anything.....
Old 12-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #32

Quote:
No, it's definitely illegal here. It's one of those laws that are only enforced when someone complains, but I verified it's in the statutes here. They don't roll the trucks here unless they have a valid call. They seldom write tickets, they just ruin your evening (or try to).

Back in the early 80's denver had a horrible 'brown cloud' that choked out the city in the winter months, they banned open burning during that period, and new homes couldn't have wood burning fire places installed. If you wanted a real fireplace in your house, you had to buy an older (and better) home that was grandfathered in. We have one of those older homes so i burned the rest of my firewood in my fireplace, but because it was wet at this point, I made sure that I laid a nice layer of legal wood smoke all over my neighborhood. That's how I roll though, i will have my fire one way or another.

You are right though, I made someone mad, just can't imagine how. Oh well... first world problems right? The fire I had in my back yard wasn't making any noticeable smoke. Just irritating when people don't mind their own business and go out of their way to be the grinch. I guess the world is full of that type.
Back in the 80's???? Believe me, it's still there. It flows down the South Platte all the way out here to Sterling. You can see it on any winter day when the wind isn't blowing hard enough to disperse it. Drive up I-76 and you can see the smog cloud hanging over the river all the way to Nebraska.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #33

Quote:
We have very close caring neighbors that are always there to help and watch out for each other. The town of 1200 people that is 2 miles away has a volunteer fire/ rescue dept that is awesome and complete with paramedics. The town also has a small clinic. For the serious illnesses, it is a 30 minute trek to 3 large, outstanding hospitals. Wouldn't trade the serenity and freedom of the country life for anything.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote