Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Direct T.V vs Dish

Howdy All got a question, just got back from a weekend trip and using the antenna I was able to pick up 3 digital channels 8.1,8.2,8.3. We have been talking about getting satellite again but it has been a few years, since we have had it. I would like some opinions who has dish, who has Direct T.v and could you give me the good ,bad and what ever else you might think of. I have the the commercial for the hopper can't remember who has it, I assume both companies would have some kind of dvr. Anyway if I could get some feed back I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have had Direct TV for 8 years.
No issues with bills, great service and can manage from Internet.
I have changed service and billing was correct. I have turned it off for 3 months while out of town on business. No issues getting it back and billing was correct.

I had cable before and the bill was constantly screwed up and took for ever to get ahold of someone to straighten it out.

They have free installation, up to 5 TV I believe, and they have DVR with high capacity.

I love Direct TV

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

This is one of those Ford / Chevy questions.

Both satellite providers have their pros and cons, and people that like and dislike both companys for one reason or another.

For us was have Dish Satellite service, we liked the fact that with Dish we only have one reciever that has two tuners and services both TVs with a remote for each TV.

The Dish Reciever is in the rear living area cabinet. Added a Sub-Woofer to our factory installed Jensen sound system and we are good to go!

Dish Customer Service has been great, system has worked fine with no issues, no billing problems.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

I to had direct tv, way back when you had to purchase the set up. I'm not for sure if you even buy the set up any more I guess like cable you have to rent everything. Robert I do like the ideal of having one receiver and two tuners, that would sure make it nice with the two boys I have, that on a rainy day we would not be stuck watching Sponge Bob all day. And Doug I have ATT Uverse as of now and I agree with the cable bills. How is the reception between the two, back when I had it if you had a hard rain you would loose the service for a bit does that still happen or has it improved thru the years. Keep in mind it has been a good 9 years or better since I had satellite.

Thanks for the info from both of ya'll
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's takes a really heavy thunderstorm to knock out the satelite reception. Maybe happens 2-3 times per year for 10-20 minutes.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

I agree with Doug, when you get those really dark rain clouds the Satellite reception will go out for a few minutes.

If the CG has cable available and the weather looks bad, we will connect both the satellite and the park cable, that way we just use the TV remote to switch back and forth between the Satellite and Park Cable when the weather is bad or we want local news where we are staying.

Also, it is Dish Network that has the Hopper DVR
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

We purchased the Tailgater and 211K receiver last week. Easy setup, nice portability and a great HD...for that matter SD picture.

My question is how to we get the bedroom TV to work with it? Splitter? Diplexer?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

Larry, I use the VIP222K Reciever, it has two two Channel tuners in it and two remotes, so we can watch different channels in the Living area and Bedroom.

I feed the Channel 1 HDMI signal from the receiver to the living area tv and feed the Channel 2 standard cable output from the receiver to the bedroom TV.

By feeding the Satellite Reviever Channel 1 HDMI Signal to the Living area TV, I also can hookup park cable to the standard Cable input on the TV and use the TV remote to swtich input sources.
I also installed a manual switch by the reciever that allows me to swtich the bedroom TV between the Satellite Reciever Signal and the Park Cable Signal.

The Channel 2 remote uses radio signal and does not have to be in the same room as the reciever.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

Rob that is OK with your dish setup but with our Tailgater portable the 211K is the only receiver that is compatible from what I know.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

We have Dish in our home. I bought the tailgater and receiver last year. after the initial purchse it is only $7.00/month. I really like the fact that my home plan applies to the TT. I have had some receptio issues, but nothing serious. My brother has Direct in his camper and really likes it. I don't think there is much difference. The Tailgater is noce because the dish is motorized and searches for the satellites on it's own as opposed to doing the work yourself. Point the Tailgater to the South and it does the rest.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #11

I had DirectV on the roof and seems like everytime I turned it on I was under a tree or something... Went with the portable dish after that and do what ROB above did. Ran two RG 6 cables from the portable dish dual LMB - one to the living room area and the other to the bedroom area. Connected to SAT RCVRS at both locations then ran video out to the HDTVs... Like ROB_FLA says you can switch between SAT TV- OTA TV- PARK CABLE TV and never leave your easy chair using the TV REMOTE..

When I was using DirecTV on the road using my house account I had no problems whatsoever. Sometimes I had to call DirectV or go to their web site and reactivate my SAT RCVR I brought along from the house. Sometimes when I unplugged it it lost its activation. So be sure to have your acct info with you if plan on doing this. I taped all of my info on each SAT RCVR. DirecTv was very good folks to work with and you turn off the service a couple times a year for up to six months if you need to. I imagine DISH does all the same things...

Then when the National Broadcast digital TV came along from all of the local towns so I stopped bring out SAT altogether after that. Using my OTA BATWING antenna we pick up 6-36 digital full blown full screen HDTV just about everywhere we go here on the East side of the US... These are what we want watch anyway and when the urge really gets for the cable TV shows then we can always use the internet to downstream them. Even when we are at regular camp sites with CABLE HOOKUP we still use the OTA BATWING antenna to pull in the high def full screen HDTV signals form the local towns.. Works out good for us... Once you watch digital HDTV its hard to go back to analog TV like comes from the camp ground cable hookups.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #12

Cable hook up on TT

Hello,
New to the Jayco world. I just picked up an 07 Jay Feather Exp 254. It has the cable hook up on it. Does Directv work on that hook up or will I have to run my Satellite cable in through a window?

Thanks.
LZ
lz1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a coaxial cable on the dish, that should connect to your outside coaxial connection which will bring the signal into your inside connection. The inside connection will connect to your converter box and from there to your TV.
That would be my understanding.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #14

Sounds good I'll give it a try this weekend.
lz1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #15

I've had both DirecTV and Dish. No real problems with either. Currently have Dish - they gave me the best price.