Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Do you carry a pocket knife?

Sometimes.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Sometimes when camping, but not so much anymore. I used to keep a multitool, but that seemed a bit bulky.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

I have a small Gerber single blade on my key set, always very practical!
Old 11-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Everyday no matter where I go I have 2

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Always since I was about 10 years old. Pushing 70 now and went through a lot of knifes. Current EDC is a Kershaw Leek.
Max Tow Pkg. 6.7 diesel

jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Sometimes, usually if I go hiking
Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

I carried a Buck pocket knife for a long time and lost it somewhere about 6 weeks ago. I went online to see where I could get another one just like it, and discovered that Buck knives are now made overseas.

I did some more searching and discovered that all Case knives are still made in Pennsylvania. I went to the local Case dealer listed on the Case website, and had them order the knife I picked out on the website. It arrived about a week later and cost me about $70.

I now carry a Case pocket knife.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Yes, 99% of the time..... Usually a small Gerber plastic /composite handles model, or an heavier all metal one. Have a few other slightly larger (but still legal) knives: a Buck, HD police model, and a couple others....

And most of the time when not working I usually have a flashlight on me as well. Either a Fenix or Nitecore 18650 model.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #9

Have for the last 20 years, currently carry a small Gerber moneyclip/replaceable blade knife, works well and I don't mind lending it to someone that needs to cut whatever they want. I can just flip or replace the blade when dull
Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

Always. At least one. Unless I'm on an airplane, which is rare.

Right now, I have two in my jeans pocket, and 3 or 4 in my EDC bag. When I was a young man, I carried a Buck knife everywhere. Now I carry much more practical knives. In my pocket I have a mini Swiss Army (the one with scissors) and a small Winchester 2-blade folder. On my key ring I carry a Schrade that my brother gave me in 1996 as a groomsman gift for his wedding; still one of my favorite knives. In my bag, I carry a multi-tool and a couple of Gerber lock-blades of different sizes.

DW still carries her Swiss in her purse; it was one of the first gifts I ever gave her when we were dating in college.

I'd like to get a Case, I've always wanted one. I might get a pair for my son and I in a few years.

IMO, everyone should have at least one good pocket knife.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #11

Other than catching an airline flight, 100% of the time. Currently a Spyderco Delica 4.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #12

Sounds like a poll is needed; Yes/No/Sometimes

I would say sometimes. I go to a lot of places including flying for work where knives are not allowed, so I pretty much stopped carrying one. I have been through a number of airport security checkpoints with my rock climbing Buck knife. It has not been confiscated yet. That really comes down to why I do not carry one anymore on a regular basis.

If camping with the scouts I have one on me. In the HTT I have one on the shelf if needed. I have two in my tackle box, a bunch in my bedroom tray. Found one last night in my survival pelican case I have for canoeing. I would guess I have a few knives.

But I do not carry one every day anymore. Drives my dad nuts, he doesn't get dressed without it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Carry a Sog multitool always! Wouldn't be without it. Have carried some type of multitool since grade school.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #14

Yep, unless not legal (ie - flying, etc.). Current is a Benchmade MelPardue 154CM. Needs to be touched up a little though. I like my knives like razors.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #15

I have an El Cheapo knife from Harbor Freight that masquerades as a key on my key ring that I carry around in my pocket. It doesn't hold an edge very well but it's very handy to carry around and get at when I need one for something light.

I also have a very nice 2" Kershaw hard side lock back that my Daddy gave me twenty or thirty years ago that I keep in my purse. He gave me a soft side Kershaw lock back around a decade before that but the rubber grips on the sides only lasted a few years although I still used it for quite a while after that. The blade was till good even after the sides fell off. Even though the Kershaw blades are stainless steel, they take and hold an edge as well as carbon steel.

I have second knife in my purse, an el cheapo that doubles as a pliers, screw drivers, bottle opener, and has a knife blade on it. It's nowhere nearly as nice as a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman but the price was right and it's compact and light. It was designed to be kept on a key ring (the pliers jaws are locked shut when folded up) but, even small as it is, it was too bulky to keep on my key ring and I have rarely needed to use it (I have tools in my home and some tools in my truck so it's pretty much always easier to grab a proper tool).

At home, I have three no brand Telco knives from when I worked in warehousing that I keep where I can get to them easily. They have a nice leather sheath I could put on my belt but I'm not that butch, it would be a pain in the neck to put it on and take it off my belt, and it's more convenient to just grab the nearest one when I need one. Those suckers are built like tanks and are designed to be abused, including prying and even pounding on the backs with a hammer and still hold an edge. One of them I use exclusively for heating up and cutting synthetic rope and computer cable sleeving (a hot knife fuses the fibers so they will not fray or unravel). Those three are my most frequently used knives.

One brand of knife I will never own again is Schrade. I was using a nearly new one around forty years ago to open the thin, soft, aluminum top of an old style motor oil can, something I had done for years without a problem and the tip of the blade easily curled over like a fishhook before breaking off. Since it was under warranty, I tried getting it replaced. Schrade did replace it but not before I was repeatedly accused of prying with it, essentially calling me a liar, even though it was clear that the tip had bent considerably before braking instead of just snapping off cleanly like a properly hardened knife should have. The Kershaw that replaced it opened up dozens of oil cans and without even noticeably dulling the blade.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #16

Stared carrying a pocket knife when I was around 10.

Now, I carry almost nothing in my pockets. Appropriate keys; wallet + coins when needed.

Phone is a belt clip or nearby.

The pen knife my ex-wife gave me while we were dating, a box cutter, iPad, chargers, tape measure, lighter, the other keys, checkbook and the other stuff I may need in my daily life are in a computer bag that generally lives in the car. During working hours the bag sits on the floor of my cubicle.

Can you say, "Murse?"

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #17

Always carry a small knife with me. I and my fellow coworkers were schocked several months ago in a meeting with HR and was told a pocket knife is not needed and considered a weapon on company grounds. The box cutters they give us are ok though?
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #18

I've carried a pocket knife or multi tool since I joined the Boy Scouts at 13 (I know - a little late). Currently I carry a Leatherman Squirt P4. Leatherman doesn't make this model anymore and I lost mine a few years ago - had to pay a fortune to buy a used on on ebay.

I feel downright naked if I don't have it on me. Recently I went to visit my daughter in Texas. We flew. I should have put my Leatherman in my luggage but I just left it at home. The whole week I was reaching in my pocket (open something, cut something, tighten a small screw on a faucet, etc.) and distressed when I would realize that I didn't have it.

In normal life I probably use it a dozen times a day.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #19
Site Team

No poll? Yes I carry.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

I never get dressed without a kershaw on my side. I use it many times a day, it's even more comforting to know I have it in case I really need it! I remember in 1969 I carried a small Buck pocket knife and it got confiscated in basic training at Ft. Ord, they said it was a dangerous weapon! Then they gave me an M14 rifle with bayonet! Go figure.