Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Doing Something New With My Jayco

I'm finally using my 26BH to boondock. I picked up a Honda EU2000i generator a few weeks back, so I have electricity when I need it. Got the fresh water tanks filled, a full cupboard and refrigerator, and about 20 gallons of good drinking water. I guess I'm set. Oh, and I have an 18er of Bud lights, so I guess I'll have to run to Corpus in a couple of days to get some more beer.

I'm on Padre Island right now, on the inland side. It was pretty freakin' windy today, with gusts up to 50 mph. It blew so hard, the flame on my fridge blew out a few times, and water was coming in the drain vents at the bottom of the windows. But it's calmer now, and so am I.

Just thought I let you all know what going on in my world right now. I'll post a pic or two later.

Have a good one,
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #2

Not very nice to post that

Some of us are sitting in the snow with a bunch of accessories ready to install so we can go out in a few weeks....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

Snow? What's that? :hihi:
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

Hmmm... Got to be better than waking up to 24*F weather here in Idaho and still seeing white stuff on the ground...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #5

Heck, we even had snow here in Macon this morning. But it is going to start warming up real sooooon! I HOPE

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Well, there was ice on the puddles here this morning. Got kind of chilly last night, down to about 28 degrees Fahrenheit.

But my point wasn't to brag about being where there's no snow. I just thought it was cool to be using my TT for the first time without hookups, and testing out my new generator.

One of these days I'd like to head out to Big Bend National Park. Supposed to be nice there.

I took a drive along the seashore this morning. There were only a few RVs parked near where the pavement ends, then it was empty as far as I could see, probably 4 or 5 miles down the beach. And I guess there's about 50 miles of shoreline open to free camping on Padre Island. But I hear the salt air makes things rust really fast, so I don't think I'll try spending more that a couple of days camping on the seashore.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Sounds like fun.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #8

Hey Bill, we toured Mustang Island yesterday. Your right as their were a lot of spots at the beach. We have set up shop here in Aransas Pass for a month or so. Today it's cold but I didn't have to shovel any snow !!!
Talked to my son in law up at the homestead and they are still cleaning up from the 22 inches last week. (Blowing every night)

Good Luck on the Island
Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

Awww... I'm enjoy a nice morning of 42*F and the snow is leaving...

(Yes this is a pic of what I see from the computer)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4311.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #10

SmokerBill, you just tip one of those Buds for me.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #11

Wow Wayne, you were right here. I might have waved at you on the road!

Mopar, how in the heck do you work on your website with that view? I'd have to close the blinds to get any work done on my sites.

Clutch, I'm gettin' a beer right now. I did have a few for brunch this morning, though.

Here's a pic of my setup for the next two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
padreisland1.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

Smoke that's a killer view too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Wow Wayne, you were right here. I might have waved at you on the road!

Mopar, how in the heck do you work on your website with that view? I'd have to close the blinds to get any work done on my sites.

Clutch, I'm gettin' a beer right now. I did have a few for brunch this morning, though.

Here's a pic of my setup for the next two weeks.
That's what keeps me sane... I get to watch all the wonders of nature as a work every single day...

Here is a few videos from the window in time-lapse...

Now you know why I haven't go completely insane with the mading world we live in...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #13

Smoker Bill,
You were braggin about your new generator. How's it working out for you? I know it cool out, but will that size generator run your AC and other things at the same time? I am getting a 26BH, and I am looking into a generator myself. Just curious.
Jay
Partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #14

Hey Jay,
No, it doesn't have enough power to run the AC, but if I'm ever where it's hot and I really need it, I could buy another Honda EU2000i and piggyback the two together, giving me 4000 watts max, 3200 watts constant load.

But I don't plan to be where it's that hot, so the one generator is working fine for my purposes.

If you haven't gotten your 26BH yet, I'd highly recommend you have the stock exhaust fan in the bathroom replaced with a Fantastic Vent fan. The stock fan is lame, and doesn't move any air at all.
I replace mine with the lowest price Fantastic Vent fan and it really pulls a lot of air through the trailer.

Another thing I wish I got was the diamond plate on the trailer front end. The front siding panel on mine is getting dinged up from rocks from my truck rear tires.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #15

It's exactly 0 F (-17 C) this morning here in Southern Ontario.

Heading over to the rink for the daughters hockey tournament soon, where it will be a little warmer!

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Smoke that's a killer view too...

That's what keeps me sane... I get to watch all the wonders of nature as a work every single day...

Here is a few videos from the window in time-lapse...

Now you know why I haven't go completely insane with the mading world we live in...
Dude! Mopar, I think I have a way of helping you get through the long remaining winter days.... you will help me learn how to do all this graphic type stuff!

Looks very nice. I wish I had the view of some of you right now. Actually, I am going to enjoy watching final basketball games of my granddaughters tomorrow... but boy, do I wish I could have a view from a campsite!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #17

Bill,
Did you put the fantastic fan in yourself, or have it done? If you did it, was it hard?
Just curious.
Jay
Partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

SmokerBill, have you windsurfed yet at BIB ?
I'll be down there in April-May.
Are there many RV's at BIB ?
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #19

Jay, I installed the Fantastic Vent myself. I had access to a tall stepladder, so I didn't have to climb up on the roof and do all the work hunched over.
The hardest part was removing all the original sealant around the existing fan housing. Peeling it off was kind of touchy, because I didn't want to risk tearing the thin rubber roof material. But one I got the sealant off the top surface, all I had to do was remove all the screws and gently pry the old fan out (it's stuck to the roof with putty sealant).
The new fan fits right in the hole. I used the closed cell foam gasket that came with the new fan (between the housing and the roof), but if I ever do it again, I'll use the putty instead, since that's what was originally used.
The new screw holes don't all line up, but it was easy just starting the new screws and screwing them in without drilling pilot holes.
Wiring the new fan in was a piece of cake. Just black and white wires to connect.
I used two entire tubes of Dacor roof caulk to seal in the new vent.
Once installed, the inside trim had to be cut to fit the angle of the roof.
Total time, with not knowing what I was doing and figuring out the best way to do things was somewhere in the 4 to 6 hour range. I could probably do it in 2 hours now, since I know how things go together.
It was definitely worth the effort. Made a huge difference in ventilation.
Some of the fancier Fantastic Fans have reversible motors (I saw no use blowing air in from the outside), and auto features, like shutting off when it rains and such. But the basic 3 speed, single direction manual control fan suited me just fine. And it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the fancier ones. And it pulls the exact same amount of air (90cfm) as the other models. But if you're buying one, you might as well see if they'd switch it, maybe for just the price of the fan, they do the labor for free. Wouldn't hurt asking, and that way any water damage caused by the new fan should be covered.

But I don't forsee any water leaking through my job. I sealed it up really well.

Have a good one,

Bill
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #20

Richard,

No, I haven't given in to the wind surfing urge yet. Looks like fun, but I don't know if my old body could take the workout.

Not many campers here at BIB, maybe 10 trailers or cars/trucks/suvs with people sleeping in them. I've used two spaces the entire time I've been here, one for my TT and the next door space for my truck. Camp host said it was no problem unless the sites started filling up.

Today was a good day for the wind surfers. Lots of them out there in the wind, about 70 degrees and clear skies.

This weekend they're doing a controlled burn near BIB, so all the camper have to leave (weather permitting the burn) by Saturday, and probably come back Sunday or Monday.

Not sure where I'll go. Heck, I might head over to Big Bend. Or I guess there's some cheap boondocking down around McAllen, TX. Walmart might work, too.

Have a good one,

Bill