Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Facebook: Your not getting it!

Well, I guess I'm done with Facebook. Even though I used it only to communicate with my son who is out of the country the majority of any given year, enough is enough.

Logged on yesterday and the following notice came up: "Please complete a security check. Confirm your identity by adding a mobile number to your account".

I didn't need a cell number to open my account, sure not going to provide it to get into the same account six months later. Back to using e-mail!

I'm sure member "Lady Fitzgerald" will get a chuckle out of this one!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

almost sounds like a hack job..reroute
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
almost sounds like a hack job..reroute
Was my first thought..., did some digging and confirmed that FB has been doing this since last year, and I didn't like the smoke-and-mirrors around the need for the cell number "after the fact".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #4

I signed up for facebook a couple of years ago and since that time I have had nothing but problems trying to log in and so I have given up. I don't use texting or twitter as I have better things to do. I still type with two fingers too.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Facebook is just evil I refuse to entertain the thought of even creating an account
dpwelsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
...I'm sure member "Lady Fitzgerald" will get a chuckle out of this one!

Bob
LOL! Yeppers!

All seriousness aside, a news site I have commented on frequently just announced today they will be requiring future comments to be routed through Facebook. I sent them a polite letter explaining why that was a bad idea (basically, only a small majority of people use Facebook and using it exclusively is unfair to the still large number of people who do not) but I haven't heard back from them yet (and probably won't).

I've always felt Facebook had far too many security issues. They certainly wouldn't get my cell number from me. I got the stupid thing for emergencies, especially when on the road. I doubt there is more than a half a dozen people who know that number, most of them close friends (and my sister) and they know not to call it unless I'm expecting the call since I keep it turned off until I go to use it or I'm expecting a call. I do not need an electronic umbilical cord nor to be paying for minutes used by phone spammers.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #7

I have never owned a cell phone. When people ask me for a cell number, they look at me strange when I say I don't have one. The money I save goes to buy gas for the truck.

Facebook is another one of those invasive things which will only bring you greef. Call me a luddite, and I will smile. Much of my career was in the technology field, and as time went on, more and more I saw the negative side.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have never owned a cell phone. When people ask me for a cell number, they look at me strange when I say I don't have one. The money I save goes to buy gas for the truck.

Facebook is another one of those invasive things which will only bring you greef. Call me a luddite, and I will smile. Much of my career was in the technology field, and as time went on, more and more I saw the negative side.
Not Luddite. Smart. Not all techonlogical advances are good and/or necessary. I depend on computers to make my life easier (especially since I have ADD). However, social networking sites will make more demands of my time, especially since I would have to be constantly on my guard to protect myself from the lowlifes (a charitable term at best) who abuse such things. How does that make my life easier? Same for cell phones (and my home phone, for that matter). I have it for my convenience, not anyone else's. When my last employer demanded my cell phone number, I shut him up by asking if he was going to pay the bill for me. I didn't bother to tell him that it wouldn't have done him any good because I rarely turn it on.

Nobody needs (or probably wants) every detail about my life (unless they are up to no good). Nor do I need to every detail of everyone else's life. Most of my life I did just fine without being connected to the lip to the world 24/7. I got my cell phone so I would have it for emergencies. I'm not afraid of new technology; I just don't always need it (and the big bill that comes with it), especially if it rules my life. I like to be able to eat, watch TV or a movie, talk to friends, work, sleep, etc. without interruption.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Crabby does not have a FB account either. But I do have a cell. Nice to have on a boat. Although I do admit there are times I wished the darn things were never invented...................
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Crabby does not have a FB account either. But I do have a cell. Nice to have on a boat. Although I do admit there are times I wished the darn things were never invented...................
I know what you mean. Nothing like having a quiet meal interrupted in a nice restaurant by an inconsiderate jerk speaking loudly into a cell phone. For that matter, why speak loudly into a cell phone? Do people not realize the danged things are AMPLIFIED? Then there are the clowns who allow a cell phone to interrupt a face to face conversation. Or fail to turn the stupid things off during a movie. Or drive down the road, oblivious to traffic around them, because they have a cell phone glued to their ear (or, worse, texting). What is it about turning on a cell phone turning most people's brains off?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
LOL! Yeppers!

All seriousness aside, a news site I have commented on frequently just announced today they will be requiring future comments to be routed through Facebook. I sent them a polite letter explaining why that was a bad idea (basically, only a small majority of people use Facebook and using it exclusively is unfair to the still large number of people who do not) but I haven't heard back from them yet (and probably won't).

I've always felt Facebook had far too many security issues. They certainly wouldn't get my cell number from me. I got the stupid thing for emergencies, especially when on the road. I doubt there is more than a half a dozen people who know that number, most of them close friends (and my sister) and they know not to call it unless I'm expecting the call since I keep it turned off until I go to use it or I'm expecting a call. I do not need an electronic umbilical cord nor to be paying for minutes used by phone spammers.
Ah don't even get me started on FB! LOL

I am so disgusted with the place that I am 98% ready to deactivate my account. I am sick of all the changes that are never user friendly. I know there is this little joke pic floating around that mocks people who complain about minor changes on a "free" site, but that isn't the issue. THese folks don't get it. It is the privacy and security invasion that many feel - that is the reason for my growing hatred of this site. Someone here mentioned "smoke and mirrors" - I used that same term to describe a lot of their changes. They hope that all the changes will keep you from noticing certain privacy leaks.

I do not like a website forcing me to share things about myself that I might want to keep private. And i will NEVER use a site or forum that forces me to make my comments through FB. I wish to keep my identity private on the net for many reasons, and this is simply a privacy invasion I will never agree to. It's like ole Mark Zuckerberg and company thinks everyone on the planet should know EVERYONE on the planet. I don't need that many friends! And most of the people in my list with over 200 friends in their friendlist only actually "KNOW" a third of them, or less. I don't want to know everyone's business and don't want everyone knowing mine.

And as for those who say we are griping about a 'free' site...well those little ads generated on the right hand side of your wall and home page are there using YOUR Private information to target the ads to you. I don't like my info shared with advertisers. FB made quite a bit of money last year, I think it is a misnomer calling it a "free" site. My stance is NOTHING in this world is free, and giving up some of your privacy in my opinion isn't worth it. Facebook raked in millions last year using OUR private information to attract high paying advertisers.

They can have their site. I hate to lose touch again with some relatives i never got to see before facebook, but they have my email address if they want to chat. I miss the days we all just chatted on line using Yahoo IM! LOL No personal information was required.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Not Luddite. Smart. Not all techonlogical advances are good and/or necessary. I depend on computers to make my life easier (especially since I have ADD). However, social networking sites will make more demands of my time, especially since I would have to be constantly on my guard to protect myself from the lowlifes (a charitable term at best) who abuse such things. How does that make my life easier? Same for cell phones (and my home phone, for that matter). I have it for my convenience, not anyone else's. When my last employer demanded my cell phone number, I shut him up by asking if he was going to pay the bill for me. I didn't bother to tell him that it wouldn't have done him any good because I rarely turn it on.

Nobody needs (or probably wants) every detail about my life (unless they are up to no good). Nor do I need to every detail of everyone else's life. Most of my life I did just fine without being connected to the lip to the world 24/7. I got my cell phone so I would have it for emergencies. I'm not afraid of new technology; I just don't always need it (and the big bill that comes with it), especially if it rules my life. I like to be able to eat, watch TV or a movie, talk to friends, work, sleep, etc. without interruption.

AMEN!

I have several friends who spend so much time on that site they can't even get work done at work, or at home. A younger cousin of mine who is a new mother posted pics of her last camping trip on her FB wall. She is sitting by a fire with the baby in stroller or playpen, at the beach and other places with a phone in her hand, steadily typing - probably posting on FB the entire time. She couldn't even stop long enough to smile for the picture, or even look up from the device. I just don't find that relaxing. I am so glad there were no sites like FB around when my kids were little so that I didn't have technology taking me away from relaxation with my children, and enjoying watching them, not a computer or a phone.

I feel like I sound like an ancient old complainer, but Im only in my 40s, so I am in that in between spot where I remember a world without technology, but still young enough that I also am very technologically savvy and grew up with technology starting in my 20s on up, and I am aware of the advantages and well aware of how to use it as a means to an end. HOWEVER, the advantages are starting to be very heavily over shadowed by the "pain in the rear" aspect of it all. Facebook started out kinda fun; kinda cool. It is starting to feel like an electronic bully to me, making me feel I must be inadequate if I do not want to post online every stop to the gas station I make, or ever stop into Starbucks to inform the world that I just ordered a pumpkin spice latte. And worse yet, feeling forced to post on certain internet sites via Facebook so that the people who read my opinion who might vehemently disagree, and who might be psychologically 'bent', can find me and track me down to harm me if they felt like it.

I'm just sick of it. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL
Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
snip........And worse yet, feeling forced to post on certain internet sites via Facebook so that the people who read my opinion who might vehemently disagree, and who might be psychologically 'bent', can find me and track me down to harm me if they felt like it.......
Ohooooooo , sounds like a great plot for a James Patterson novel, serial killer dismembering FB users!!! Alex Cross would have his hands full on this one!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Ohooooooo , sounds like a great plot for a James Patterson novel, serial killer dismembering FB users!!! Alex Cross would have his hands full on this one!

Bob
LOL I know I went overboard, but you get my point. I don't think everyone needs to know everyone's identity. :hihi:
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
snip....I don't think everyone needs to know everyone's identity.
I agree, and as mentioned security issues with information on a site like FB is never secure. With all the different APPS, and even if one's hides some of their personal data on FB, it's still there for the taking! No different than one's home PC, just because something is deleted doesn't mean it can't be retrieved later!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #16

What' facebook?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
I agree, and as mentioned security issues with information on a site like FB is never secure. With all the different APPS, and even if one's hides some of their personal data on FB, it's still there for the taking! No different than one's home PC, just because something is deleted doesn't mean it can't be retrieved later!

Bob
True, everything posted on FB becomes their property.

And the apps that are not FB approved are even more worrisome, as they are many times created by hackers, and once you install them, they also can get into your private information.

I just think some people have a false sense of security thinking that if they mark something private, then it stays private. ALL of my information is marked private, but all the ads generated are tailored to my age, city and state where I live, my interests that I have chosen, etc. So FB IS releasing that to advertisers. And that is just the least of the worries with the faulty security safeguards on the site.

I have noticed a lot of young people on FB do not mark anything private - not their wall, their information, nothing. It is a stalker's dream database. They post all their info public, then post where they are going and what they are doing. I cannot understand why they don't think this could be dangerous.

I am fairly certain I am going to delete my account. The only thing that has stopped me is the begging from relatives saying NO don't do that, it's how we all keep up to date! But ya know, I went many years without seeing these folks and did fine, hate to sound mean, but I don't think I need to keep this constant 'closeness' with all of my relatives. When you don't have a facebook account, people treat you like you are a technological dummy, when truth is, I am far more technical than pretty much anyone in my friendlist. And that is WHY i don't want fb, i know that it is a very unsecure site, they are too trusting of it.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

CampingGirl,

Here's one that will have you thinking about closing your account if you have photos in it: "Phones camera's and other devices you use to take pictures that have GPS or similar encode the coordinates of where the photo was taken and in the "exif data" of the file, simply right clicking a file gives exact coordinates within around 15 feet, its as simple as right clicking the image selecting "view image exif data" and post the coordinates into google maps..."

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
CampingGirl,

Here's one that will have you thinking about closing your account if you have photos in it: "Phones camera's and other devices you use to take pictures that have GPS or similar encode the coordinates of where the photo was taken and in the "exif data" of the file, simply right clicking a file gives exact coordinates within around 15 feet, its as simple as right clicking the image selecting "view image exif data" and post the coordinates into google maps..."

Bob
This is exactly why i never download photos from my droid! I never download any pics unless they came from my camera that doesn't have GPS, and i upload to my PC, save it with the name i choose, then upload. I am extremely particular about how I share things on the internet.

This is, however, a tidbit of info I bet a lot of people are not thinking about, as i have many friends who constantly upload photos of where they are straight from their droid or iphone.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Site Team

I take my pictures with a cheap Kodak digital camera. Have they been compromised yet too? Those other things, droids, smartphones, GPS phones, R2 D2`s, etc, I don`t have those luxuries yet.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote