Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Facebook: Your not getting it!

Well, I guess I'm done with Facebook. Even though I used it only to communicate with my son who is out of the country the majority of any given year, enough is enough.

Logged on yesterday and the following notice came up: "Please complete a security check. Confirm your identity by adding a mobile number to your account".

I didn't need a cell number to open my account, sure not going to provide it to get into the same account six months later. Back to using e-mail!

I'm sure member "Lady Fitzgerald" will get a chuckle out of this one!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #2

almost sounds like a hack job..reroute

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
almost sounds like a hack job..reroute
Was my first thought..., did some digging and confirmed that FB has been doing this since last year, and I didn't like the smoke-and-mirrors around the need for the cell number "after the fact".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #4

I signed up for facebook a couple of years ago and since that time I have had nothing but problems trying to log in and so I have given up. I don't use texting or twitter as I have better things to do. I still type with two fingers too.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Facebook is just evil I refuse to entertain the thought of even creating an account
dpwelsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
...I'm sure member "Lady Fitzgerald" will get a chuckle out of this one!

Bob
LOL! Yeppers!

All seriousness aside, a news site I have commented on frequently just announced today they will be requiring future comments to be routed through Facebook. I sent them a polite letter explaining why that was a bad idea (basically, only a small majority of people use Facebook and using it exclusively is unfair to the still large number of people who do not) but I haven't heard back from them yet (and probably won't).

I've always felt Facebook had far too many security issues. They certainly wouldn't get my cell number from me. I got the stupid thing for emergencies, especially when on the road. I doubt there is more than a half a dozen people who know that number, most of them close friends (and my sister) and they know not to call it unless I'm expecting the call since I keep it turned off until I go to use it or I'm expecting a call. I do not need an electronic umbilical cord nor to be paying for minutes used by phone spammers.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

I have never owned a cell phone. When people ask me for a cell number, they look at me strange when I say I don't have one. The money I save goes to buy gas for the truck.

Facebook is another one of those invasive things which will only bring you greef. Call me a luddite, and I will smile. Much of my career was in the technology field, and as time went on, more and more I saw the negative side.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I have never owned a cell phone. When people ask me for a cell number, they look at me strange when I say I don't have one. The money I save goes to buy gas for the truck.

Facebook is another one of those invasive things which will only bring you greef. Call me a luddite, and I will smile. Much of my career was in the technology field, and as time went on, more and more I saw the negative side.
Not Luddite. Smart. Not all techonlogical advances are good and/or necessary. I depend on computers to make my life easier (especially since I have ADD). However, social networking sites will make more demands of my time, especially since I would have to be constantly on my guard to protect myself from the lowlifes (a charitable term at best) who abuse such things. How does that make my life easier? Same for cell phones (and my home phone, for that matter). I have it for my convenience, not anyone else's. When my last employer demanded my cell phone number, I shut him up by asking if he was going to pay the bill for me. I didn't bother to tell him that it wouldn't have done him any good because I rarely turn it on.

Nobody needs (or probably wants) every detail about my life (unless they are up to no good). Nor do I need to every detail of everyone else's life. Most of my life I did just fine without being connected to the lip to the world 24/7. I got my cell phone so I would have it for emergencies. I'm not afraid of new technology; I just don't always need it (and the big bill that comes with it), especially if it rules my life. I like to be able to eat, watch TV or a movie, talk to friends, work, sleep, etc. without interruption.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Crabby does not have a FB account either. But I do have a cell. Nice to have on a boat. Although I do admit there are times I wished the darn things were never invented...................
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Crabby does not have a FB account either. But I do have a cell. Nice to have on a boat. Although I do admit there are times I wished the darn things were never invented...................
I know what you mean. Nothing like having a quiet meal interrupted in a nice restaurant by an inconsiderate jerk speaking loudly into a cell phone. For that matter, why speak loudly into a cell phone? Do people not realize the danged things are AMPLIFIED? Then there are the clowns who allow a cell phone to interrupt a face to face conversation. Or fail to turn the stupid things off during a movie. Or drive down the road, oblivious to traffic around them, because they have a cell phone glued to their ear (or, worse, texting). What is it about turning on a cell phone turning most people's brains off?