Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Food for thought

Forty-nine years ago, I thought I was acquiring a permanent dishwasher with a lifetime warranty. Man was I wrong! (one can’t get anything to last) After about six months she insisted that I replace it with a newfangled electric model or else. As I didn’t wish to find out what “or else” meant, I promptly purchased a portable model. (we were in college and renting thus no built in.) That dishwasher service our needs for many years. Shorty after we purchased our current house (33 YEARS AGO), the built-in dishwasher died. We replaced it with a new-fangled built-in model which served with no problems until six months ago. (gosh one can’t get anything to last) That one you loaded the dishes and 45 minutes later you remove clean dishes. Six months ago, we replaced that dishwasher. The new one, dishes must be loaded and 4 HOURS later you are still waiting for it to complete its cycle. Plus, it is so difficult to load, bowls do not fit, glasses don’t remain upright, you must pull the lower rack out to load silverware. Now, you are reading this and asking yourself, “Why is he telling me this?” Well, I will answer that question.
When we go purchase a vehicle, we take it for a test drive to determine if it fits our needs. Why do we not apply that same logic to other items we purchase? I told Kitty this am that the next time we purchase a dishwasher, (which at our ages is unlikely) we are taking a load of dirty dishes to the store and try it out before we take it home!!!!!

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Seven years ago I acquired a permanent dishwasher with a lifetime warranty, too! The day I said, "I do." LOL
Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Seven years ago I acquired a permanent dishwasher with a lifetime warranty, too! The day I said, "I do." LOL
Over 40yr ago I told my DW she was acquiring, like you said, 'a permanent dishwasher with a lifetime warranty' - actually I said my middle name was 'dishwasher'. She soon found out that was only 'marketing.' Her dishwasher functions sporadically, and sometimes not at all, and warranty calls have gone unanswered.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

I have no idea how our dishwasher works. I installed it an that was it. I thought I would be nice on afternoon and load it for the wife. Well after the blank stare into the racks after she opened it she commenced to unload it. I ask what are you doin I haven't run it yet? She said, politely mind you, that I did not load it correctly.
I never knew there was a correct way to put stuff in a machine that sprays water an soap on everything. It all gets wet, it all dries. Needless to say that was 10 or so yrs ago an I ain't touched it since.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Shhhh.....we need a new dishwasher. Ours is from probably 1975 or so and needs to go. I'm just too cheap to replace it.

The wife gets on me about having to hand wash the dishes. I volunteer to do them all the time. However, she is never satisfied with how I wash them and she ends up doing them anyway. She claims that I just pretend to be incompetent to get out of doing them......LOL
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Site Team

There's only the two of us, so we invite a bunch of friends for dinner so we have enough dishes to use it. Once a month, our friends love us!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #7

I have had the same dish washer for forty two years and still working strong. My neighbor came over the other day and asked to borrow my post hole digger, I said not right now she is doing dishes!
Old 12-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

This is the kind of thread I enjoy and makes me think.

My wife and I said our "I DO's" nearly 29 years ago. As for the dishwasher, we have had our share over the years in the different houses we have owned. Like most folks, we have argued over who loads it right or can get the most dishes in it. One loads and the other one unloads and sometimes it falls on one of us to do it all. Typically, that would be her.

Now, I'm starting to see dishwashers in the newer RV's. Reading this it dawn on me that I rather enjoy washing dishes by hand with my wife in our FW. We stand side by side washing and drying and talking about the little things that matter. I think washing dishes was meant to be a two person job without these machines. It reminds us of that other day when we stood side by side and said "I DO".

I think the next time my dishwasher in the house quits working, I'm going to replace it with something useful like a wine and beer fridge.

Keep washing those dishes!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

39 years ago I said "I do" to my permanent dishwasher model. She was dressed in white to match the fridge and stove. (she'll kick my ass if she reads this LOL). Still have the original model, however the built in model gets replaced every 7 or 8 years.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

So that's what "DW" means...
Old 12-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #11

Sadly, I am the dish washer since we sold our house and moved into our trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote