Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #1

Food Pre-prep?

We've had exactly 2 trips in our "inherited" 17c, and Thursday it got winterized. Hubby is laughing because I'm already looking at campgrounds and places to visit next spring, etc.

I'm wondering how many folks "pre prep" their food. both trips I sat down and considered the meals, made a menu of sorts, and then pre-prepared as much as possible. For example, our last trip was to a dog show, and mornings can be hectic, so I made and peeled hard boiled eggs, and we had bagels with them. Breakfast took us all of about 10 minutes to prepare and eat. I made a container of mostaccoli, corn salad, salad fixings, etc. It made meal prep really simple - mostly re-heating things. I know Mom used to take the ingredients for her meals but I find it much easier to do the major cooking at home, and "final" cooking at camp. I plan to spend the winter trying recipes that will work well for this. What I really need to learn is to make "less" of something so we take more variety. 3 days of pasta for lunch was, um, overkill. LOL So far, this method seems to work really well for us, but I got curious - how many take the ingredients and cook entirely onsite and how many pre-prepare?

Thanks!

Betsy & Kevin Cummings
Tribute Salukis
St. Louis, MO

2011 JayFeather Ultralite x17c
Ancient Dodge Ram 3500 15 passenger van
TributeSalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #2

we do prep our food.. and sometimes bring leftovers,,, but my love about camping is to sit and cool outside in the evenings and drink a few cold ones
beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

I say what ever works best for you. If your camping trip involves planned functions and time is limited, then pre-preping is the way to go. My TT is stored at the beach. When we go, nothing is ever really planned out. I do pack a large cooler with unprepared food from home and take it with us. If we are going to be there a while, I usually will hit up the local walmart late at night and pick up some things as well. After that and after the fridge has cooled down, everything goes from cooler to fridge. Since we camp at the beach, and I also fish while there, we tend to eat a decent amount of seafood. That sometimes involves another trip to a local seafood store and produce stand where I get the fixins for a low country boil. Personally, I really enjoy cooking. Breakfast is usually big, lunch quick and easy so we can get back to the beach, and dinner is big. Most cooking is done outside on a grill. Steaks, burgers, fish. chicken etc. Like I said whatever works best for you. When we go, food becomes a very important part of the experience!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, both methods can be useful depending on your agenda. We normally bring any left overs and then stop at the store before or after set-up. Bwteen the microwave, grill and electric skillet, we try to keep things basic but tasty :-). Protein, starch and a couple veggies.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote