Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

General RV does it again...

Another reason to NOT buy from General Rv.

https://www.rvtravel.com/utah-rv-dealership-customers-theyve-cheated-1000b/

Long story short, my mom and dad (retired) were looking at getting into camping when we got our 3rd 5er. We have 2 General Rv locations by us, closest is a little south and the other is a little ways north. One day they were out for a drive and rolled into one of the locations. Dad came in a different driveway and parked out away from people. You'll understand why in a minute. They were walking around looking at their inventory. Dad was wearing an old Oliver tractor hat, a t shirt with a couple of welding burn holes in it and a pair of "jeans" that have been turned into cutoffs and the legs were a bit on the frayed side and a pair of tennis shoes with no socks. Mom on the other hand looked a little more respectable. A salesman met up with them and was a little on the unpleasant and arrogant side. Thru the conversation in a round about way made it out like they couldnt afford what they were looking at anyway. So, they decided to leave. As they were driving toward the main showroom building they saw that salesman standing outside with a few other sales people having a smoke break, and you know he was telling them about his last customer and what they couldn't afford. As they rolled by dad politely tooted the horn and tipped his hat and mom waved her hand out of the top of the car. The car,... a brand new Watkins Glen Grey Corvette with the top off. Best part is it had a vanity plate on it that has on the left side a picture of a barn and a field with agricultural under it and the plate letters are BR 549. The number to Junior Samples from the tv show Hee Haw. As dad pulled on to the road he had it in track mode and made sure the exhaust notes were very clear as to what was under the hood.
A month or two later they stopped at the other close location and weren't any more impressed. They were close to buying one they had until they found out that same sales guy already had it sold to another family and it had cash money deposit on it.
I have a "friend" that caught them red handed in warranty fraud and some other kind of scam.
I've heard more horror stories about that place,... unreal.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

Not rv related but I had the same type experience at a jewelry store. Just got off work where I worked 70+hrs a week. It was a produce market in FL so ya I may have had a "slight" odor of sweat an what not. Person behind me gives me that look like I'm out of my league. I asked to see a pair of fairly expensive earrings an with a snoody type attitude he pulled them out. I liked them but forgot how much money I brought with me so I pulled the roll of cash out of my pocket to count it. His attitude immediately changed an oh how so pleasant he got.
I did buy em, $199 I think it was back in the 80's. Normally I would have walked at the beginning but something came over me an told me no let's make this guy feel like crap an prove you can't judge a book by its cover. But I never went back nor did I ever go to any other store related to that one.
It happens.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #3

I learned that LONG ago. I live/work in a small rural community. You'd be surprised at how many people who look like they couldn't find a pair of pennies to rub together actually have a couple million in cash sitting around. They got it working hard, not looking good.

I actually got some side eye from the Sheriff last time I walked into a jewelry store with DW for her to have some custom jewelry designed. Was wearing old beat up cargo shorts and a $5 Wal-Mart t-shirt and a sweat-stained hat. Once he saw we were actually shoppers, he eased up a bit and was really quite pleasant. But I got a kick out of him eyeballing us; he was just doing his job. I would've given me side-eye if I were him for sure!

The RV salesman that judges you like that is NOT the one you want to buy from anyway. But good on them for showing him the sale that could've been...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

The story is far from settled on the General RV issue. I'm not defending them, I don't really care and have no dog in the fight.

But before anyone rushes out to get a hangin' rope, be aware that General RV has come out and said these few customers are mistaken, and a few Youtube personalities have said they find it completely out of character.

Also this was several years ago.
Last I read UT AG or consumer affairs was now investigating.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I learned that LONG ago. I live/work in a small rural community. You'd be surprised at how many people who look like they couldn't find a pair of pennies to rub together actually have a couple million in cash sitting around. They got it working hard, not looking good.

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-N.../dp/1589795474