Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Get back on your damn treadmill

Memo to the ‘lady’ that interrupted my conversation with another gentleman at the Gym yesterday ….

Lets get this straight – I am a Viet Nam ERA Veteran. I never served “In Country”, but would have if the Army had assigned me there. I was assigned to a Military Police “Garrison” unit of Fort Carson, Colorado. My job was to “Hold the Fort” so to speak… someone had to, and that was the job of a Garrison unit …. to ensure continued operation of Ft. Carson while many troops were overseas - including my best friend that didn't come back.. I was assigned to “Bar Patrol” downtown Colorado Springs. Patrolling the ‘off limit’ establishments, “removing” service personnel and breaking up various bar fights where the many Army and Air Force personnel were involved. Was that “Combat”?? I can tell you that I DID have to defend myself against someone that was in the act of shooting my ass …. I can tell you that I DID have to fire my weapon and injure someone that was in the process of harming my partner… call it what you want, but don’t ask me if I’m a “Veteran” if I didn’t serve in Viet Nam. Yes lady, I’m a US Army Veteran who served when called, and did it with pride and to the best of my ability. Am I a Viet Nam veteran? No. I served in the US Army during the Viet Nam War, and was told to “Hold the fort”.. However, we were all brothers and we all had our individual jobs to do – some overseas, and others in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Yes lady, I AM a Veteran despite the physical location of my service …. And extremely proud of it. Now get back on your damn treadmill and quit interrupting us.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Thank you for your service.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

I appreciate that... thanks. What got me was that I was talking to another gentleman who was wearing a Viet Nam Veterans hat - we were talking about our service time, and she broke in and asked me if I could consider myself a "Veteran" if I didn't serve in an actual War.... She hit a nerve.... One of my High School buddies went in same time I did, went to the MP Academy at the same time, but he was shipped out almost immediately upon graduation... His name was Joe Castro, and was killed within 2 months of arriving. I had some guilt thinking that perhaps I should have changed MOS and volunteered - but then again, I did some good while I was Stateside also. Mixed feelings - but I really didn't need that stupid question from her.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Ottor,

Thank you (and all your brothers & sisters) for your service to our country - regardless of the physical location of that service. You had a right to be p***'d off at that woman. And thanks, also, for feeling you were able to vent here, with your friends on the JOF.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Same with me, classed as Vietnam era veteran. Never had anyone get in my face about it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

You served on active duty when your country called. It does not matter where or when.

I was in the Army from 1996-2004. I deployed several times and was wounded more than once. Just because I was in combat does not make me any more a veteran than you or anyone else. You are all my brothers and sisters, no matter what MOS or branch or location of your duty station. Those who served get it.

Glad you finished your tour and got home safe.

Hooah!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

For those who cannot fathom what it is like to be available to go wherever our country feels it needs us, be it state-side or over the pond: If you will not stand behind us (respect) then feel free to stand in front of us (under fire).

USAF 1965-1969

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

Thank you for your service. My brother is a Vietnam vet and he served over there. As God is my witness I wish he would have been able to have served stateside. Yes you are a veteran and she is a moron. Nough said.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Thank you very much for serving our country. Some people can be real idiots.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Thanks for your service, fellow veteran. I served in Nam in 68-69, but we all served together for our country....just in different locations.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 AM   #11

Ottor, its really ironic, but I had a very similar experience with a high school buddy. Both of us went to Ft Lewis, WA for boot camp, both went to Ft Sam for AIT, and then he went straight to 'Nam after graduation, while I was assigned Stateside. He didn't come back, while I never got out of the US. I still miss him, but, like others have said, I served six years where they sent me, and do stand up when they call for all veterans to do so.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote