Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #21

With our 5er (Mobile Vacation Home), we use it for everything from boondocking with no amenities what so ever, to State Park campgrounds, to full on RV Resorts.

I tent camped for years, but do love a dry place to sleep.

On the boondocking trips or State/National Park trips, that is more camping. Often no hookups....little in the way of electronics. Lots of hiking, biking, fishing, cards, etc.

At the Resorts, that is usually more of a vacation scenario where we will be seeing the sites in an area. Often at a beach. Full hookups, pools, water-slides, etc.

I love that the RV gives us the chance to do all types of excursions.
We usually have one 10 day "vacation" and 7-9 3-4 day "camping" trips each year. Would like more, but work only allows so much time off...
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #22

My point is simply that unless you are sleeping outdoors, naked, on a pile of pointy rocks through a cold December night, somebody is going to think you are a "glamper" because you aren't roughing it as much as they are.

When we went from tent to pup we got glampier, when we went from pup to HTT we got glampier still. Every time I buy a new toy, the glampiness increases. It's all camping, and I keep getting glampier as I get older so I can keep on doing it.

IMO, those who show up and don't open the door all weekend are kind of missing the point, but to each their own.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #23

I tent camped a couple of times as a teenager with my buddies. Camping was not something my family did growing up. As an adult, I used to take my kid tent camping when she was little with a few other dads and their kids. The kids always had a ball!
It wasn't until a couple of years ago and a chance posting on craigslist that we decided to purchase a used TT on a seasonal site on Cape Cod. After the first year, we upgraded to the new Jayco. We love getting away for long weekends and the occasional extended week long trips to our site. We used to rent a house for a couple of weeks every summer on the cape. Now, for a few more dollars, we can go down however much we want during the 5 month season that our CG is open. It's like a cape cod vacation home for a fraction of the cost! We can't wait to get the season started in a few weeks!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #24

I do both tent and RV currently as an active Cub Scout leader. As for the 5th wheel. That is our rolling condo on wheels and I won't deny it, but the main reason we have it is to unplug. As funny as that sounds, I do not allow my kids any electronics on our "camping/glamping" trips except for the a late night DVD to wind down. The TV is on maybe for 6 hrs the whole trip.

Bikes, sports, board/card games, fishing, just going out on a hike or making a new friend for a week along the way. There is no level of dirt not accepted. You simply cannot replicate the experience or what I feel as a level of safety as seen in a CG these days except for the GC's.

My kids can run and play freely, widdle or just simply explore without my constant supervision. They abide by the common camping rules of no cutting through CS or going into anyone's camper. Having a little independence is good for character development IMHO and lacking in our youth these days. Simple engagement skills are lacking as some do not know how to interact with others. Either way I would not change it for anything. I see it as quality family interaction time. We all play more when we are camping regardless of the qtrs. by which we stay.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #25

Looks like a great place to be Don.......have a great time.

Jack
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
That's the point. After 4 years working at campgrounds, interacting with 1000's of campers, I would go so far as to make a broad observation. Knowing it's not good to paint with a broad brush, and it's not true in every case, I would say people's "happiness" judged by their interactions with others and with those in their own party, are the exact opposite to the price paid for their camping equipment. IE Tenters for the most part a happy, they interact with others and seem to be happy doing what and where they are. On the other hand those with Prevost are the grumpiest, appear to be least happy and rarely interact with others.

I have no issue with anyone doing what they want, but why bother if your unhappy, don't like other people and don't really enjoy where your at.

Guess the old adage, money can't buy happiness is alive and well in campgrounds
After spending 200+ days a year training, 4 trips to NTC and 2 tours in Iraq/Saudi Arabia I will never sleep on the ground or in a tent again. My family (sisters, cousins, etc.) have been camping together for over 40 years. So there is usually several groups of us cooking food together, drinking out at the firepit every night for hours. I went from a pop-up to a hybrid but I could see as I get older that something that I don't have to pull bunk ends out and do some set up might be something I want to try.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farman Blends View Post
Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them but some stink alot more than others.

So knowing I'm risking lots of comments (hopefully), I'm going to toss this one out there.

I view camping as being out in the forest/wilderness without the excessive comforts of home. No phone, cable, television, computer, internet, hot shower, laundry, dishwasher.......
Our camping weekends are loading the frig & freezer. Hot dogs, hamburgers, deli meats, lots of veggies & some fruit. A cooler full of soda & frozen water jugs.And of course lots of marshmallows, graham crackers & Chocolate bars for s'mores. We take our dirt bikes & 4wheelers. We take a bat & tennis ball with some soccer cones for a game of softball. We take games like Jenga and have "knock out" tournaments for the weekend Jenga champ.

I do miss tent camping, my back does not. However I'm not sure I could ever see myself in a full rig with all those added perks. I think that's fine for whatever fits your needs, but that's not for me. I do laugh at some posts on facebook about camping vs glamping vs roughing it. I am just thankful that my family loves camping as much as I do.

Haven't read any of the replies, but I'll just add my meager 2 cents. We will never all agree, or need to agree, or should care to agree on what real camping is.

You don't have to throw out your camping gear when you get a travel trailer, 5er, or motorhome. Half the camping my family still does, is 'real camping'... off grid, poop in the woods, sleep on the ground, don't see another human for a week kind of camping. We get our backpacks out still, and use our TT as base camp. It allows us to get out even further.

We all define camping our own ways. My definition was born back when I was a cub scout in the 70's, when learning how to shoot a .22 wasn't weird and didn't pigeon hole you into a political persuasion one way or the other, and taking a pocket knife to school wouldn't get you expelled. The camper is just another piece of gear. The gear doesn't define what camping is. If I make it to 80, and I'm still able to get out of the house, have a camp fire, enjoy a beer in the outdoors with my good friends and family and maybe teach my grand child how to build a fire, tie a fly and catch some fish, I'm going to probably call that camping too.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #28

I agree with most of what has been said... and I certainly like the conveniences that glamping allows... I too spent 13 months literally sleeping in a hole...actually a number of holes, and sworn never again. And I have no issue with big expensive RV or MH. But why camp if you never "do camp things". Perhaps it age, but, I think many on here are of the Sr group, I know I am, and I still enjoy a good campfire, good conversations and meeting my neighbors. Perhaps one day I will prefer to sit inside my RV and moan to myself about the kids running all around or the fires going to all hours of the night, but, I hope I have to good common sense to just stay home and be miserable rather than go where folks are having a good time and bi**h about it !

Happy Camping this season everyone !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #29

Glamping ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farman Blends View Post
Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them but some stink alot more than others.

So knowing I'm risking lots of comments (hopefully), I'm going to toss this one out there.

I view camping as being out in the forest/wilderness without the excessive comforts of home. No phone, cable, television, computer, internet, hot shower, laundry, dishwasher.......

Our camping weekends are loading the frig & freezer. Hot dogs, hamburgers, deli meats, lots of veggies & some fruit. A cooler full of soda & frozen water jugs.And of course lots of marshmallows, graham crackers & Chocolate bars for s'mores. We take our dirt bikes & 4wheelers. We take a bat & tennis ball with some soccer cones for a game of softball. We take games like Jenga and have "knock out" tournaments for the weekend Jenga champ.

I do miss tent camping, my back does not. However I'm not sure I could ever see myself in a full rig with all those added perks. I think that's fine for whatever fits your needs, but that's not for me. I do laugh at some posts on facebook about camping vs glamping vs roughing it. I am just thankful that my family loves camping as much as I do.

Your not really roughing it in your camper... stocked fridge and all lol... is your hot water heater broke as you say no hot shower? but as long as your having fun that's all that matters right? As long as your making memories and spending quality time as a family I believe your doing good. Why judge others who are enjoying themselves? Enjoy your own outings and don't worry about labeling others...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #30

I prefer as much comfort as possible, and have tv, satellite, and my laptop.

I don't have to be sleeping on a bed of thorns to consider myself camping.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #31

Dang, thats alot. Maybe the enclosed trailer has a couple Harley's in it!
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #32

Thanks all for the delightful comments.

You all had me laughing. It's all perspective, to me anyway.

My oldest (step)son likes giving us a bad time about getting a TT. He often forgets his parents had a 5th wheeler at one time.

Regardless my family loves to camp and I was interested in how other families camp?
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
It's all about enjoying yourself and nothing else. As long as people aren't causing anyone else grief I think judging people and their choices is a waste of time.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #34

I have to say that the last time I camped in a tent, It poured rain during the night and I had a river running thru my tent....that was the end of my tenting. Got into a pup and loved it...got us off the ground but there was a learning curve to it. Age caught up with me and it was time for a TT so we bought a new one in 2012 and traded our pup in. Needless to say, we are enjoying it very much, just back in, level off, chock the tires, drop the stabilizers and my wife pushes two buttons to open the bed and awning. Inside we pop the couch up and set up the dining table. Pull out our gas fire pit and camp chairs and we are set. Typically all in less than 10 minutes. 😊
Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #35

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	31077
I used to tent camp but then I bought the beauty in the picture on an estate sale for $1500. I wasn't really looking for an rv and had never really thought about it but I thought this 1982 Mobile Traveler was a good deal. The first time I took it out in the Colorado Rockies it was almost dark when I pulled up to my campsite and it immediately started to pour. So I cracked open a Busch light and watched it rain. The whole time I was thinking about how awesome it was that I didn't have to go set up a tent in the mud in the dark when it stopped raining. The whole night I was warm and dry and I never realized you could be comfortable while camping until that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote