Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Had to say something

I went to a local RV place, not where I purchsed mine. I like the RV wash they sell. Well it always takes forever to get help here, unless your buying somthing big. So Im looking and I see some obvious newbies talking to a salesman, new himself sounded like. They are looking at a 26 to 28 foot travel trailer. I heard them say they have a chevy colorado. Then I hear the salesman say they would be fine towing one of those trailers with ther truck. So I listen alittle more they have two small chilren and like to bring the family pet. I am not sure of the brand trailer they are looking at or the tow rating of a colorado but from my towing experience that is to much trailer for there truck. They were getting excited as they discussed options and color and that they really liked the 28 foot. So the salesman says well let me go see what kind of deal we can do for you today. Well me being me took the oppurtunity to strike up some casual conversation with them. I told him I think that is a big trailer for his truck. He said he wasnt sure if his truck could tow it ethier, but the salesman said he could. Well I told him ,ask the salesman what the tounge wieght of the tailer is, the dry wieght of the trailer, then figure your family and all your gear. I then asked him if he had a brake controller, his reply, what is that. I told him that I know it is overwhleming and exciting ,but think of his familys safety. I saw the salesman coming I said good luck, they thanked me. The salesman came back all happy, then the guy asked some quetions I told him, then I saw the salesman take out a book. I am not sure if they bought anything or not because I left. But that made me mad the salesman would do that. Hope I did the right thing. Just make sure your truck can tow what your going to purchase, Safely thats all

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately what you described happens to often at RV shows and RV dealerships. To often RV sales personal use vehicle and RV manufactures published specifications, and seldom think in terms of towing reality.

IMO many RV sales personal don't tow trailers, thus may lack the knowledge to match a vehicle to the proper trailer.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Good for you,wish you were around when I bought my first one.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Dealership near me suckered my parents in to buying a 8000lb trailer a few years back. No big deal except dad asked over and over again if his 2009 Ford escape would tow it.......it wont.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

I have learned a lot about towing in the years we have had our trailer and know more now. The salespeople just take the tow rating of the truck and the weight of the trailer and if the trailer is less then it is good to go. They know nothing of payload whatsoever.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Was this the salesman???Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396063299.548224.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	12107
Old 03-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #7

I was a newbe when I bought my TT and we have a Sienna minni van and my salesman looked up the tow capacity and the total weight of the trailer and figured in our stuff and let us know we could tow it but it would be close and should not go through mountains with it but here in MN we do not have many anyway. We have been very happy and there is no problems with towing it. I felt much better he took the extra time with us and would go back to him again if he had not retired.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Had a friend back in the 70's when extended cabs first came out.
He was told the new f150 he had on order would haul a 12ft slide in camper.
I don't have to tell you how far the rear bumper was off the ground when they put the camper in.
Cost him big time to get the rear end of that truck beefed up.
The same can happen when you ask a car salesman if the truck your looking at will pull your trailer.
My favorite quote is, "That truck will pull anything you put behind it"
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

If shoppers would tell the salesman who greets them that they'll request that any sales contract include language on the order of - "Dealer/agent assures buyer that buyer's 1958 VW Bug will safely tow buyer, family, typical gear and the subject of this contract" that would weed out a lot of lying salesmen.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

According to most salesmen, any half ton truck will tow any camper.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #11

I worked with somebody that was a service manager at an RV dealer for 10 years, he said you wouldn't believe how much crap they will say to get a sale
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #12

Just think of it as if you potentially saved them or someone from getting in an accident or worse. At the very least you informed them that they should be aware and watch their tow limits/capacity. Good for you.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

Unfortunately, it will take some highly publicized tragedy on the road before some law will emerge establishing some accountability and liability to dealers for their actions.

Some sort of " truth in towing " document........

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

There should be a rule and it should not take a tragedy to for it to be passed. I really think the salesman was new. They need to better train there sales people. Not only about what they sell ,but about the different weight of the trailers and have a clue as to what can tow it.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #15

Many salespeople at RV Dealerships are just salespeople, they have never spent a single night in a RV of any kind, less towed any RV.
They will do whatever it takes to get the sale, this is how they put food on their table.

When in Georgia a couple of weeks ago, I saw a Honda Odyssey Van pulling an approximately 30 Foot Airstream TT.

The Van and Trailer had Minnesota plates on them. I did not get a chance to see them hook up and leave.

Another case for it will pull anything!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #16

So I noticed this weekend it is not just campers people try to pull with anything. As the electrical contractor who is gonna work on my brother house rolls up with a Nissa frontiier, pulling a 24 foot box trailer. Worst yet I saw a round to flat four pin being used, so yea no brakes on trailer. I have also been boating for awhile so I have seen some people pull crazy boats with anything. They usually arent going far but still. The little nissan was sqauting pretty good. The trailer was pretty loaded with tools. Why do people think it OK to risk there lives and innocent people. Is it the lack of knowledge or just ignorance. Something more needs to be done about this. Its just out of control.:banghead:

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #17

What was that old saying? Oh yeah, I remember, "Let the buyer beware."

The bottom line is that the salesman could care less about you or your families safety or anyone elses on the road for that matter. If you tow something in an unsafe manner the responsibility is on YOU and no one else. So in my opinion the only rule or regulation that we need is personal responsibility.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
What was that old saying? Oh yeah, I remember, "Let the buyer beware."

The bottom line is that the salesman could care less about you or your families safety or anyone elses on the road for that matter. If you tow something in an unsafe manner the responsibility is on YOU and no one else. So in my opinion the only rule or regulation that we need is personal responsibility.
I follow what you're saying, and I completely agree. But for better or for worse, there is a certain amount of trust that buyers put into salesmen. Is it misplaced? Absolutely, but it's there nonetheless. So when you have unscrupulous sales people telling customers their frontier will tow that 32BHDS all day long, that's a problem. That goes to a whole new level beyond "fluffing" to get the sale, that's just downright wrong.

So what to do? Of course, buyers should do their research. But sometimes there needs to be someone like the OP to talk to people who are unfamiliar with all this stuff. At least get them to ask the appropriate questions. There is so much to consider when buying an RV, it can get pretty overwhelming to the uninitiated...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #19

You can put all of the rules you want on this kind of thing. Its still going to happen.

The trouble is that too many people approach buying trailers like buying appliances. Look at the ratings and reviews, then buy the one with all the features they want. Since they see all sorts of vehicles towing trailers, they just assume its all kind of the same thing.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #20

Thanks guys, I know there are some honest sales people out there and sure they cant know everything about all tow vehicles. But there are sales people that are not all honest, just trying to make a sale, they are everywhere. This is alittle more safety critical then buying fertilizer or appliance. Yes the buyer should research, but lets be honest who researched there first trailer. I did not, I was looking to buy a 20 foot trailer just for my wife and me. Started looking and saw all the better options and layout of the bigger trailers, got way excited. I ended up buying a 28 foot trailer, 31 from tounge to bumper. I was lucky and had an 03 Dodge ram 2500 at the time. But not once did that salesman ask me about my truck. I was not giving it much thought ethier when looking. I have a dangerous job and I am always being trained and have to be OQ in tasks. Maybe these salesman should be made to go for training. Not to know about all the tow vehicles, but to be trained to ask specific questions. Like what will you be towing with, do you have a brake controller. Then he can show them trailers that would work for them, or they could do it once a trailer is picked out. Have like a mandtory question and answer form. Would be better right at the beginning. Then you would not lead people on or waste there time showing them something they could not tow.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Closed Thread