Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Help Me Plan My Trip. Real Time!

I am leaving Bonney Lake, WA on Friday, final destination Quartzsite, AZ.

I would like to make some interesting stops between here and there, no time constraints. My primary route will be through Nevada.

My only planned stop is the Royal Peacock opal mine in Nevada, where I will spend $180 per day (probably just one day) to dig through some freshly excavated hillside in search of gem quality opals.

Any suggestions for other things to do along the way? My preference is for stops that cost nothing, unless I could possibly come out ahead, like with the opals. I'm a treasure hunter by heart!

I'll park my TT at any Walmart to sleep for the night if there's a cool place to visit nearby. I will have a National Parks Pass card, so I could get into those for free.

If it takes me a month to get to AZ that would be fine. Long as I stop and see a lot of things and places, and spend as little money as possible.

I will try to keep this thread going throughout my entire winter trip, probably until next March. Hopefully you all can direct me during my travels. Tell me where to go, and I'll document my travels here.

BTW, in QZ this winter I will search for gold again, and learn how to polish gems and minerals. Clubs for both down there. And a library. Cool place!

Or am I just getting old.

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

Good luck. Sounds like a great trip.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Personally, while the weather is still good. I would head east to Glacier, then down to Yellowstone, down to the Grand Tetons, now with school back in session I bet those parks are nice and peaceful.

Might be way out of the way, but there is a diamond mine, in Arkansas, it only costs State Park entrance fee. If I recall correctly someone recently found a 7+ carrot diamond.

Crater of Diamonds State Park

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Good luck. Sounds like a great trip.
Thanks Jhowemca, I'm looking forward to it. So far, so good.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally, while the weather is still good. I would head east to Glacier, then down to Yellowstone, down to the Grand Tetons, now with school back in session I bet those parks are nice and peaceful.

Might be way out of the way, but there is a diamond mine, in Arkansas, it only costs State Park entrance fee. If I recall correctly someone recently found a 7+ carrot diamond.

Crater of Diamonds State Park
Thanks for the ideas Jagiven, but I don't really want to head east. Never been to Glacier or Grand Teton, butYellowstone and Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas I have been to. I was in my TT after looking for diamonds a few years ago and felt some shaking going on. Figured out it was a 4.something earthquake in Oklahoma.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

I finished packing the truck and TT this morning and left Bonney Lake around 1PM. Right now I'm on I-5, sitting in the Toutle River interstate rest area. I stopped at the last rest area for a little while too. My plan is to take a walk and do some stretches each time I stop.

I'm right at 100 miles into my trip so far, getting 10.5 MPG and keeping the speed at 60 MPH. The TT wheel hubs aren't getting hot, and the TT brakes are working well, so I guess my new tires/drums/brake assemblies aren't going to fall off as I go down the highway.

One more stop today. Next rest area is the Gee Creek rest stop, just north of Portland, OR. I could make it to the opal mine tomorrow, but I'm in no hurry. Might stay at the Walmart in Bend tomorrow night.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Settling down for the night at the Gee Creek rest stop. Scanning TV channels right now to see what I can watch tonight.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

Depending on the route you take and what you like to do, there are some pretty cool things in Oregon.

Along hwy 84 just past Multnomah falls is a turnoff to the bonneville dam. Take a right instead of a left on that exit and you'll get to the Wahclella falls parking lot (too small for a trailer, BTW, but you might be able to park at the dam?) it's a 1 mile hike to the falls, some of the most beautiful in Oregon.

John Day fossil beds (national monument) in central Oregon is a place I've always planned on visiting (haven't made it there yet).

Crater Lake is gorgeous this time of year, go in via the south entrance and park near the restaurant, leave the trailer there and drive up to see it.

Not sure about treasure hunting, unless your treasure is beautiful views...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #9

Sorry for the late reply ecksdude. I've been driving a lot Ha Ha. I seriously considered the John Day fossil beds (sounds really interesting) and Crater Lake. I was ready to go to Crater, but checked the website and learned that there was some kind of bicycle ride Saturday, and the East Rim road was going to be closed. I would've gone if I could have driven around the complete loop, but I guess it wasn't possible Saturday.

I ended up going to Klamath Falls, Oregon from the rest area. And from there, Fallon, Nevada, because it's close to Route 95, which goes all the way down to Quartzsite. Took a little side trip off of 95 today.

I'm now at Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley, close to the visitor center. I wasn't expecting it, but I was able to get a site with full hookups for $30 a night. It's 105 degrees outside, and my air conditioner is keeping my 26BH at a cool 78 degrees with no problem. Not like all those other Jaycos that even with 2 A/C units can't keep cool when it's hot outside. My single 15k BTU unit cools my little box just fine.

I will probably stay here 2, maybe 3 nights. Tomorrow I'll take the tour of Scotty's Castle, and hike around Ubehebe Crater. I got the map now so tonight I'll figure out a game plan for other sites to see.

And no more need for trip ideas. From here it's a straight shot through Vegas and on to Quartzsite. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #10

Bill, are you in Quartzsite now?
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Bill, are you in Quartzsite now?
Yes I am, Clutch. Been here for a week now. The first couple days were HOT! When I pulled into QZ it was 105, and cooled down into the 90's at night. Tough living without enough generator power to run the A/C, but I survived it. It's much cooler now- 65 degrees at 4:30 AM. High today will be in the low 80's, but temps will be rising after today.

I've been doing some gold prospecting, mostly learning and getting a feel for how it's done. Fun but can be a lot of work.