Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

How Do You Prevent Ants From Entering RV?

I've been lucky so far and haven't seen any ants in my TT. There are quite a few running around the campsite I'm in now, so I decided to buy a spray bottle of ant killer/repellent, and used it to spray all the leveling jacks, the tongue jack, the tires and even the electrical cable going to the generator.

I don't really want to use up $5 worth of bug spray every time I move camp. I've heard talcum powder, baby powder, diatomaceous earth and even vaseline will repel ants, along with many different herbs and spices.

I really wouldn't want to use a poison bait, because that would attract them and they still might climb into the TT. They'd probably die from the bait once they got in, but I don't want them to come in at all.

I was thinking towels dusted heavily with diatomaceous earth and placed under the jacks and tires might work. Or just spread a band of the powder on the ground around all entry points, but the wind might blow it away- don't know for sure if it would.

Anyone have any good ant prevention ideas?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

Bill, Ants and I don't co-exist well! We have some Raid. We haven't gone "green" in trying to keep them out.

I usually do a walk-around once we get settled into a site. If I don't see ant's, we usually don't do anything. If we do, or if we later realize we have them, Don will spray around the bottom of area around tires/landing gear (anything in contact with ground), and then will spray just a little on the electrical near the opening into the tt. Same with the hose but further down away from the opening. That way when he goes to stow the electrical and hose, he can touch anywhere along the cord/hose without having touch a lot of poison. We also try and hookup the cord/hose so it doesn't touch the ground, but aren't always successful.

What's frustrating is like two weeks ago we had these reallllly teeny-tiny ants. Could barely see them. But we got a jump on 'em
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sprinkle some Ajax or Comet around the tires, stab jacks, tongue jack, or anything else that is in contact with the ground.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
I usually do a walk-around once we get settled into a site. If I don't see ant's, we usually don't do anything. If we do, or if we later realize we have them, Don will spray around the bottom of area around tires/landing gear (anything in contact with ground), and then will spray just a little on the electrical near the opening into the tt. Same with the hose but further down away from the opening.
Same here - it is part of camping. Go to wally world & buy the biggest cheapest spray can and spray around anything that touches the ground. I get 3-4 set-ups out of each can. The smell keeps them away. Don't forget water hose, sewer pipe & electrical cord as well as tires jacks etc. just need to create a barrier.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I've been lucky so far and haven't seen any ants in my TT. There are quite a few running around the campsite I'm in now, so I decided to buy a spray bottle of ant killer/repellent, and used it to spray all the leveling jacks, the tongue jack, the tires and even the electrical cable going to the generator.

I don't really want to use up $5 worth of bug spray every time I move camp. I've heard talcum powder, baby powder, diatomaceous earth and even vaseline will repel ants, along with many different herbs and spices.

I really wouldn't want to use a poison bait, because that would attract them and they still might climb into the TT. They'd probably die from the bait once they got in, but I don't want them to come in at all.

I was thinking towels dusted heavily with diatomaceous earth and placed under the jacks and tires might work. Or just spread a band of the powder on the ground around all entry points, but the wind might blow it away- don't know for sure if it would.

Anyone have any good ant prevention ideas?
They make a powdered form of ant killer which works on all ants. Get a big bag and it will last awhile. Spread around all points that touch the ground.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

I get ant killer from ACE Hardware. It comes in a tall round can and I sprinkle it around things that touch the ground. In Arizona the little fire ants are everywhere and I really don't want them in the trailer. I also make an attempt to find their hole and I powder it also. (they don't pay the rent so they have to go)
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I get ant killer from ACE Hardware. It comes in a tall round can and I sprinkle it around things that touch the ground. In Arizona the little fire ants are everywhere and I really don't want them in the trailer. I also make an attempt to find their hole and I powder it also. (they don't pay the rent so they have to go)
Fire ants are nasty. In the Army we used to burn them out. Probably not something to try while camping but...

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I In Arizona the little fire ants are everywhere and I really don't want them in the trailer. I also make an attempt to find their hole and I powder it also. (they don't pay the rent so they have to go)
Ain't that the truth! Those little suckers are everywhere here! This cg actually encourages you to call the office to report them showing up at your site.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
Site Team

I have a meeting with them and warn them to stay away. If they don't listen, I mash their little heads.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a meeting with them and warn them to stay away. If they don't listen, I mash their little heads.
I don't cohabitate well with ants. I'm sure I -look- like a Raid can to them once I'm done extending my warning....
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #11

I always carry a 2 gallon sprayer with poison ready to use and I spray all points contacting the ground right after setup, including water hose and shore power and coaxial cable and than I spray every other day after that. I figure its better to fight them outside than inside. I also carry a set of pruners in my storage compartment and I clip every limb that comes in contact with my RV. I have heard to many stories about ants getting into RV's. So far after many years of camping I can honestly say I am yet to have a ant problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Team

I agree, I never allow a branch to touch the rig. Ants will march right on board on even a leaf touching the roof or sides.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote