Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

I made the list...

I guess I should say I made it to a place on the list. Was just at Big Meadows Campground on Shenandoah National Park this past weekend. Thought it was cool to stumble across this article on Yahoo and see it on there especailly since it is very close by.
It was a great time. Spent all day Saturday hiking with the family and my trusty dog. No cell service, no wifi, no electric/water hook-ups. But plenty of great scenery. I use to visit the area quite often as a kid and into my early 20's. Had never camped and had not visited for probably 15 years. Won't let it go that long again!
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list...ornia-hawaii#4
Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Nice....I'd like to get there sometime
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #3

We go to the LOFT MTN camp ground down the road SOUTH of Big Meadows. I don't think I have ever found it FULL like Big Meadows is on the busy weekends.

Been going to Shenandoah National Park for many years starting back in my TENT CAMPING days.

SHERANDO LAKE is another great camping in the same area just to the West of the Blue Ridge trail. Sherando has some hookups available...

Then alot of times we will go further West behind Harrisonburg VA and camp out on the VA/WVA mountain wooded state line. Lots of neat places there as well if you want to get off to your self somewhat. Nice and peaceful unless you show up when the local JEEP CLUBS are out. They like a close-by place called FLAGPOLE KNOB for their JEEP trail outings main camp spot.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

We go to Sherando several times a year. Went there for Memorial Day. It is a very nice place. very hard to get reservations now. They book fast. Trout Pond is another National Forest campground in West Virgina that isn't nearly as busy. You ever been there Roy?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Havent been to that on yet - We have a friend that likes to go south of REDDISH KNOB on FS85 and wind down to a place called PUFFENBARGER POND. They have regular get-togethers there. I went once on my own and didn't see anyone around haha... Its almost a private group but anyone is welcome to camp there I guess...

I got a favorite spot going NORTH on FS85 on the REDDISH KNOB road behind Harrisonburg up almost to FLAG POLE KNOB. I think I am on the WVA side of the road. Small clearing with a great view over the mtns to the West. Good spot for my RADIO OPS with my OFF-ROAD POPUP setup... I'm out-of-sight from the FS85 service road so if I'm quiet no one knows I'm there.

There are a few places on the FS85 road where the creeks run across the road. Sometimes gets exciting pulling my POPUP up thru there. I certainly can't pull my POPUP all the way NORTH and hookup with US33 for sure. I can do it with 4WD truck but not pulling my off-road popup. Too many sharp loop back turns and I get lost sometimes for several little trails feeding off the main road...

I heard they was going to make this a main road to connect US33 to US250. Hope they never do that...

Haven't been up there in a couple of years now... I've even run into folks riding horseback up there haha...

I like the Forest Service roads - reminds me of my Arizona Days high country trail trips with three or four campers pulling utility trailers with Jeeps tent camping back in the 60's. We had great times back then but now all the crazies are out in the woods.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote