Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

I will be in New Orleans in two weeks......

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting New Orleans March 6 - 9th on a business/vacation trip. I will be with a large tour company showing off our tour guide equipment during the Jazz Festival!!!!
I am looking for some tips on things that one can do on Canal Street.
I am bringing my wife with me and we both enjoy music, but I must admit that Jazz is not on the top of our list, but tops other forms of music that I don't ever care hear.
Anyway, neither of us have ever been to New Orleans and I am looking to get some places that are a "MUST SEE" or "MUST GO".
We may rent a car, but this may also depend on the tour company that I am going to meet with. They may take us everywhere or leave us to fend for ourself.
Is there anyone here that would be interested in meeting my wife and I while we in New Orleans?
Any insight you can give me would be greatly apprciated!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

I've been several times. We have relatives in Metarie. We like to hit the revolving bar atop the World's Trade Center on Canal. I think it takes 3 hrs to make complete rotation. We generally walk around, if you're up for it. Just be careful, especially farther you go up Canal St. (away from river). The carriage ride is a nice time as is the RiverWalk. The mall has a wall of pics that show the barge that ran into the mall and Marriott. Of course the St. Louis Cathedral in French Quarter is worth a peek. You can take a short river cruise on a paddle boat. There's a great flea market along the river. Great and expensive restaurants abound. We usually have the kids so we eat at the Riverwalk mall food court! And of course, there's Bourbon St and all the night life you can muster. Although can be racy, but there are abundant of bars that have live bands (Jazz free!) and it's worth bragging rights that you've walked Bourbon St. There are also alot of antique shops. We love NO!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Hi, we were in New Orleans last spring. We really enjoyed the World War II museum. In the downtown area, the street cars get you where you want to go. We took a bus in from our campground as parking is at a premium. Also took two GrayLine tours--a swamp tour and a post Katrina tour. Both were interesting.
kbehrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Jazz is not the only music played in NOLA. Blues, Zydeco, Cajun, Rock, Funk and more.

I suggest you tour the French Quarter by day; and by night. Burbon St. is OK, but go a block or two off Burbon to Pat O'briaens on St. Peters St. http://www.patobriens.com/patobriens/

The French Market is a great place to stroll with the wife. http://www.frenchmarket.org/ My wife like all the quaint shops there.

Visit the National WWII Museum on Magazine Street.
http://www.nationalww2museum.org/

Not far from there, you can get a great meal at the world famous Mother's Restaurant on Poydras St.
http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/

We live just up the road from NOLA. I'd meet up with you and show you around, but the wife and I will be camping in MS. that weekend.

Have a good time.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

Thank you for the great information. I am very interested in the WWII Museum (Former Navy Guy) and I will certainly try Mother's Restaurant.
It's to bad we will not be able meet in New Orleans, but I certainly hope you enjoy your camping in MS. If you are ever in Minnesota, let me know and I can hopefully return the favor!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

Just returned from New Orleans (NOLA) and had a great time. I was traveling with my wife and we decided that Bourbon Street was a MUST DO along with many other things on our list.
As suggested by chipper, we ate at Mother's Restaurant on Poydras St. This place had a waiting line of 40 minutes. We waited and found out that there is a reason for a waiting line. The food was fantastic and staff is very friendly!!!
While we were in the area, we spent the rest of the day at WW II Museum. They do a great job here. There are two movies that we also purchased. "Beyond all Boundries" is about 45 minutes long and narrated by Tom Hanks. This is a great movie and experience at the theater! The other movie is about 17 minutes long and it's about a submarine USS Tang. You stand for the entire movie at a "Duty Station" and act as if you are one of the crew members. Fun, but the highlight of the day.
We went to Pat O'Brien's to start the next day. We talked about taking a "Swamp Tour", but never did make there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Orleans with Tauck Tours 3-7-2013 059.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	6820

Bourbon Street is fun and lively area.
We had a drink called the Insane Hurricane and while it tastes good, it's very fruity and must be drank in moderation.
We also had a Hand Grenade. Not my favorite drink, but still had to try one. After that I returned to drinking my Budweiser!

My wife and I would like to Thank everyone for the great suggestions for things to do in New Orleans!!
Now I am off to Anaheim, CA in 3 weeks!!!!!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
Equal-i-zer Hitch