Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #21

I have tried numerous times to use the search function to find info regarding my redundent questions (TV mounts, leveling) and have found the search function to not be user friendly. I get oodles of threads, but few have the subject as a header. This can be daunting to a newb like myself. Telling me to do a search is fustrating. I tried that already, so now I ask for help. Throwing a link at me would be so helpful.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #22

Some folks don't know how to do a specific search and it is easier for them to just ask for help. Here is my point, do a search of lets say kitchen faucet leak. You will get so many threads with each word in your search phrase, but if you do your search in with quotation marks ie.."kitchen faucet leak" you only get results of threads with that specific phrase. I realize it's frustrating to see the same question answered over and over, but maybe a little knowledge might help. Just my 2 cent worth.

2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #23

All the responses to my concern truly validate why JOF is a great online community. Nobody has flamed me, yet, and it appears most folks appreciate the genuine good nature of the membership. I love to refer new RV owners to our community because I know they will be respected and given an opportunity to learn much faster than if they used the trial and error method of yester-year.

Let me expand briefly about why the occasional snippy suggestion to to search old content bothers me -- it's because the people and technology change; and with that the suggestions, answers, & thoughts do too. It is the natural attrition of membership over time that keeps this community current.

There are a handful of topics that cause the flame wars and snippy remarks on the other sites; batteries, generator, solar, tow vehicle, WD hitch , gas vs diesel, etc. Every RV forum on the net us full of these threads, but these topics are always evolving.

Think about Solar, RV application has come a long way in a short time and we are very blessed to have some extremely knowledgable members who stay current and respond with more current data.

The same thing for tow vehicles; 10 years ago, before I was interested in this stuff, I assume the same 1500 vs 2500 or diesel vs gas TV discussion was happening. But now we have 1500 class diesels or EcoBoost with 2500 class payloads. There are new things to talk about.

As membership and technology evolves I think we should encourage new threads about well discussed topics so we all have the ability to learn from those of us who stay current or might have different point of view.

Most importantly I want to thank all of you for making this a great forum -- now let's just be aware of what we have and don't let it slide down that slippery slope so many other online communities have.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #24

This is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. It's not only because the information is vast and very informative, it's because of the sense of community displayed here. I've perused other forums on a host of other topics, and not a single one of them is as civil and helpful and friendly as this one.

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I don't think that means we should chastise them. Rather I think (and have observed much of this) if there are other threads on the topic, users should provide a brief answer and then link the original discussion. This way is much more helpful IMO because it re-exposes the information to be updated, and it re-exposes members to the content. Something I thought a year ago could have changed (and quite honestly, I'm not sure I would agree with a lot of what I posted a year ago) based on my experience, or technology, or whatever.

I agree that those of us who frequent this space often should work hard to keep it a friendly and welcoming place. I think it's a little slice of awesome and I genuinely hope it stays that way!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #25

Do you think it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question??

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. It's not only because the information is vast and very informative, it's because of the sense of community displayed here. I've perused other forums on a host of other topics, and not a single one of them is as civil and helpful and friendly as this one.

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone conducted a detailed search before they asked a question, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I don't think that means we should chastise them. Rather I think (and have observed much of this) if there are other threads on the topic, users should provide a brief answer and then link the original discussion. This way is much more helpful IMO because it re-exposes the information to be updated, and it re-exposes members to the content. Something I thought a year ago could have changed (and quite honestly, I'm not sure I would agree with a lot of what I posted a year ago) based on my experience, or technology, or whatever.

I agree that those of us who frequent this space often should work hard to keep it a friendly and welcoming place. I think it's a little slice of awesome and I genuinely hope it stays that way!
Agreed. I provide links to related threads when possible for newbies.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverark View Post
Some folks don't know how to do a specific search and it is easier for them to just ask for help. Here is my point, do a search of lets say kitchen faucet leak. You will get so many threads with each word in your search phrase, but if you do your search in with quotation marks ie.."kitchen faucet leak" you only get results of threads with that specific phrase. I realize it's frustrating to see the same question answered over and over, but maybe a little knowledge might help. Just my 2 cent worth.
I may be thinking of another forum, but I also think these things run pretty much the same way. When you start a thread you're given the opportunity to add "tags" which then makes searching more precise.
Next thread started should check that.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #28

A search may find the answer to your question, if you have the patience. Some topics have few threads and posts. Others have many and then can be difficult to find an answer. Personally, I try a search first, and if I find an answer I think is plausible, I try to use that advice. But sometimes it doesn't fit.

And some subjects, like "Will my truck tow this trailer" can be very daunting. The chances that your particular trailer and tow vehicle combination are addressed are slim - and if they exist, you could spend weeks finding those posts!

For example: If your question is about TV/Trailer combination, I suggest you Google your TV, like "2012 Ford F-250 6.2L Specs." That will get you the needed numbers for figuring the payload and towing capacities of your TV. Then Google "2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS", and that will yield the weights and other specs regarding your trailer that you need. If those searches don't answer your questions, someone here can give you advice using your numbers.

That should also help get more answers. I don't mind doing that when I reply, if I have time. But some folks who have a lot of experience may pass on replying because it requires doing some homework to give good advice.

Just my humble opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #29
Site Team

I see both sides of this issue. Number one, what could be wrong with seasoned, experienced members answering a question, or giving advice to even a simple, basic question that gets asked frequently, especially from the newbies that have obviously just joined JOF. If you don't want to, there is no requirement that we, as members have to respond to any questions or requests if you don't want to. Rather than answer with "look it up on the search" why not offer an answer and add to also check the search as there may be varied other opinions on that question. Being a newbie once, and even to this day, asking an obviously simple question and then getting a positive response makes me feel good as I am sure others feel as well. I also feel that the search, if used correctly can be an excellent tool to find the best answer to your question, although I realize it can be a little complicated to maneuver through sometimes.

If I want to be flamed or belittled, there are a couple other RV forums that will do that to me with delight. I still feel that 99% of the members here are friendly and helpful and enjoy this forum without any drama. Historically, JOF has always been member friendly and the rare occasion that someone gets a little testy or combative, the moderators will take care of the problem when they see it or if you notify them.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
I see both sides of this issue. Number one, what could be wrong with seasoned, experienced members answering a question, or giving advice to even a simple, basic question that gets asked frequently, especially from the newbies that have obviously just joined JOF. If you don't want to, there is no requirement that we, as members have to respond to any questions or requests if you don't want to. Rather than answer with "look it up on the search" why not offer an answer and add to also check the search as there may be varied other opinions on that question. Being a newbie once, and even to this day, asking an obviously simple question and then getting a positive response makes me feel good as I am sure others feel as well. I also feel that the search, if used correctly can be an excellent tool to find the best answer to your question, although I realize it can be a little complicated to maneuver through sometimes.

If I want to be flamed or belittled, there are a couple other RV forums that will do that to me with delight. I still feel that 99% of the members here are friendly and helpful and enjoy this forum without any drama. Historically, JOF has always been member friendly and the rare occasion that someone gets a little testy or combative, the moderators will take care of the problem when they see it or if you notify them.
I agree. I usually give a polite answer, then include links for folks if they want to become more familiar. My point was just to help folks avoid the flaming - and to give them a little info on how to search the site and use the internet to find answers to their questions.

I love this site because there are a lot of folks like me, who have years of experience. And sometimes, I have questions to problems I am having. It's a great community and there are usually a number of people who will jump in and try to help.

I was once a Newbie myself, so I appreciate all the knowledge here. I am a training instructor for a large manufacturer and I teach dealer techs on the service side of the industry. So it's just in my nature to try and help someone troubleshoot and find an answer to their problem. And with my background, I usually do most of my maintenance and repair work - both my trailer and my TV, except when it comes to warranty stuff.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote