Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Like I always say...

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
LOL - love this. Just taped it up at my desk

Some thoughts about the possibility that JOF is changing...

It is possible that there is some change but I think it's probably more likely that this change is driven by LOTS of new members. Some of you may not be aware but about 2 years ago the forum software changed and it has become much easier to find the forum via google now. We also changed up the registration process. Where once ALL registrations were moderated (approved prior to be activated) now anyone who can navigate the registration process and pass the spam abatement protocols can register and post immediately. We made this change because it makes getting info about Jaycos much easier and frankly making folks who registered wait a day or two until their account was approved was infuriating for them.

Registration has increased substantially in the past year as has the posting rate. Thats great for Folks who want info about Jaycos but it means that we also see more newbies posting. Just remember that we were all newbies once and generally folks quickly learn to fit in with crowds example of acceptable behavior. Treat newbies kindly and they generally respond in the same way. In a year or so they will pass on the culture.

The desire for a friendly vibe is so important to JOF that we wrote it into our site rules in the opening statements:
There is no charge for joining this Forum! This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in Jayco products and camping. Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all be nice. If you encounter any violations to these guidelines or have any problems navigating the site, do not hesitate to let us know through the Forums Contact Form (bottom of every page). We'll be happy to address your concerns.

Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Welcome newcomers to our growing community. Many of our community's members have a wealth of knowledge and much to share. Please help new members learn about how to find information and resources and how to get involved in the Community. Our underlying philosophy is that the relationships we build here are what sets us apart from other boards - we are more friendly, helpful, insightful, respectful and fun.

Not every forum is the same and there are a couple of large RV forums that have a substantially more prickly posting culture. JOF has deliberately worked to avoid this and members can help.
  • Help out the newbies
  • If they need help finding something - give them a hand if you are willing. Either answer the questions or find the answers and post links for them.
  • If you are not interested in this, just keep surfing - there's no need to post if you have nothing to add to the discussion and it's ok to just stay silent
Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #62

This forum has been very helpful to me. The folks here have given me great guidance and info. It was a small part in my decision to stay in the Jayco family when we upgraded our trailer. Heck I even forged a few good friendships along the way.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #63

Well put, Janet H. Be nice, be courteous, and help out the newbie. If that bothers you then ............
And no matter what,
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #64

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
My first comment on this thread, but have many times posted and pointed newbies or anybody for that matter to do a search regarding their ??. I have received many "thanks" [and a couple warnings] so my posts have been appreciated many more times than not so I am not a troll or whatever. The arguments for not doing a search [mobile device, difficulty of search, or whatever are IMHO more a smoke screen than anything else. Certainly there are times and places where these things might be factors but how many questions are raised where only a mobile device is available? My pattern is to settle in my family room after or before a trip and research whatever issue I am seeking info on.

I also will kick,back at home after my trip and read the forums but it do it on my iPad. I also rad this forum on my iPad when I am out camping and everyone else is still napping.

Let's all not assume that someone ha s a desk computer or a laptop. There are many people with only a tablet or a smartphone.

As a matter of fact I really only use my computer for quicken and photo storage and I want to get away fro that because I am at a computer at work for 9 hours a day already
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
I also will kick,back at home after my trip and read the forums but it do it on my iPad. I also rad this forum on my iPad when I am out camping and everyone else is still napping.

Let's all not assume that someone ha s a desk computer or a laptop. There are many people with only a tablet or a smartphone.

As a matter of fact I really only use my computer for quicken and photo storage and I want to get away fro that because I am at a computer at work for 9 hours a day already
Not sure I understand your point. Its not that a member might use a mobile device to access the forum, but that this is a valid explanation for not using the search function to find info. Just wanting to understand your experience using a mobile device and if you think it is easier to enter a search word into the search function or to read thru comments replying to your question. I just think anyone will get more info on a subject if they first check out the topic via a search. I think it helps refine the issue and help them target their ?? to additional info relative to their situation.

Portable generator threads are an example as there have been dozens of them with hundreds of responses and opinions. If a new thread on the topic is started the OP is limited to the feedback from the members who are activite at the time or over the immediate few days. Not necessarily a bad thing but I prefer to do some research and then ask for additional info concerning topics where I am confused. Thats all I'm saying, and the device I'm on at the time doesn't alter my process.

And just to get it on the table, this has nothing to do with Newbies and like it has been said there are no stupid ??'s.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #66

Another way to say it, is like when I want info on how plan a route when I'm not familiar with the territory. In the old days you might stop at a general store or a stranger on a street corner. Now you are more likely to goggle the directions or use your GPS. When you find more than one set of directions, you ask a local for a recommendation on the most scenic or fastest. You might get lucky with the first 3 or 4 posts to your thread. Then again you might not.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #67

All I was saying (and it might have been someone else that said it). Is that we should not assume that someone has something other than a mobile device. That being said I will do a general web search using. Google. If I am reading the jayco forum I use tapatalk to read it. With the current version search is easy to do but maybe not easy to find (unless you are like me who just likes to see where things are hidden). Previous versions of tapatalk have not been as friendly on an iPhone. And of course I hate typing on my iPhone but don't mind on my tablet (that may be I did not grow up in the age of cellphones and I am not used to ting on them).

To answer another question though is that I find it just as easy to post a question and read through the replies rather thank eastbound Alize of search results if I did not narrow down the search parameters. But that answer just relates to me. That is how I work.

To get to another point though is that I will do a search before I post. If I find too many non applicable results then I will try to tighten down the search parameters. If I find I can not tighten them down enough then I will ask about specifics for my vehicle. Of course that also means that you have to be experienced enough to know if the problem/issue is a general one or specific to your trailer/situation. With that I am still what I consider a newbie since I have only owned my trailer for two years. Prior to a that I owned a popular and then prior to that I owned a tent.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #68

Let me give an example of a general question that might end up being specific. My f-150 came with passenger tires with a max pressure of 35 psi. So my thought is that my truck TPMS and is set with 27 as a min. So here is where my question comes in. I want to change out my tires for an LT tire with a max of 80 psi. Would that cause my system to go haywire? I searched for that and could not find any answer so I asked. But in the process of asking I did not really say I tried to search for that. (For the record not even my ford dealership could answer)

So the above was an example of a question maybe being too specific for a search to return any data on or it might return too much data and then you have to look through thousands of results or figure out a way to narrow down the results.

So I will do a search but I will ultimately get discouraged if I can not figure out the search terms to get the relevant answers
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #69

YJust like 99% of the other members here, I am on this site reading posts quite often. My wife calls it "my social network". I do agree telling a newbie to use the search function is a turnoff.

I will always try to answer a question to the best of my knowledge. I usually add a disclaimer that "someone will be along with more knowledge on this subject". I am by no means an "expert" on travel trailers. A couple of years ago, I answered a question for someone and another member sent me a PM rudely telling me I shouldn't respond to questions I don't know anything about. Said I was stupid and could cost someone a lot of money. I cannot even remember what the subject was. That member went on to give snippy answers to other members & newbies in this forum after that. He was very combative and his comments were at times belittling. That rude member has since been removed from this forum. I can understand having a bad day but, this was a guy who I believe needed some people skills.

In the past I have given my cell number out to some newbies to call me. (I am customer service oriented) I have walked them through troubleshooting their A/C right over the phone. It was just easier. Their problems were resolved and they were very gracious and I was happy to help them fix their issue. Being a newbie I hope it gave them some confidence in owning their TT.

Lastly, there are a few people from this forum I talk with often and I have met a few in person. All good folks! There are a few members here that contribute a lot. Look at their post counts.

Well, now I have to hook up the camper and go home now
Have a great day!
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #70

Here is my 2 cents on this topic as a "NOOB" on this site.;
1. I suck at searching, I don't know what it is I can look for stuff on any search engine and rarely find what I'm looking for I will find anything except for what I'm looking for.
2. When I look for info most of the time I'm looking for current info not history, if I'm looking for info on my new trailer it won't be in an old search. Same if I am looking for info on a generator I'm not interested in last years comments I'm buying now and want the latest and the greatest not last years model.
3. If it is a question that has been asked before and it annoys you then don't click on it! go to the next question that you feel is more suited to your position as a senior member with 5k posts and us "NOOBS" will try and help each other and maybe someday we will have enough experience and knowledge to be acquainted with you.
I look at this somewhat like if you were asked for directions by people who were lost would you tell them to bugger off and get or read their map?

BTW I believe this to be my 100th post!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #71
Site Team

I use the search functions on Google and others. It is very frustrating for me because I get off track so easily, I'll click on something that comes up on a search that has nothing to do with what I am looking for. Next thing I am off on a tangent and can't even remember what I started looking for.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
I sure hope I never came off that way. I can't seem to use the search feature on my Kindle so I know on occasion I've suggested that folks search for the topic (since I can't provide a link myself).
I do still come here to read everyone's experiences and troubles. Great, friendly place.
To update my post, I've since installed Firefox on my Kindle and the search feature works. The browser that comes installed on the Kindle is called Silk, and it ain't exactly smooth. Silk would never let me input anything in the search box, would just close the box everytime.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I use the search functions on Google and others. It is very frustrating for me because I get off track so easily, I'll click on something that comes up on a search that has nothing to do with what I am looking for. Next thing I am off on a tangent and can't even remember what I started looking for.

+1 for me on that one! Sometimes it's half the fun of the internet. Sometimes I actually seek those tangents so I can discover something new. But when I'm looking for something specific, I get the same kind of distracted you do, and an hour or two later, I just turn off my iPad and try to remember what I was doing! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
To update my post, I've since installed Firefox on my Kindle and the search feature works. The browser that comes installed on the Kindle is called Silk, and it ain't exactly smooth. Silk would never let me input anything in the search box, would just close the box everytime.
The Silk browser is a total piece of crap IMO. It's one of the primary reasons I bought an iPad in the first place. I had a 1st gen Kindle Fire; while it was a GREAT e-reader, and decent web surfer, I wanted more capabilities, better surfing and more memory, so I went to an iPad mini.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #74

Forums that help others enjoy camping through sharing information and experiences is something amazing all by itself. Information is an instant thing today.
The issue of "already answered" assumes that these older threads have the best possible answers and all you need to do is search and read. If that were true I would agree with the suggestion to do a search. But as all information contained on forums all over the internet, some of it's useful, some not and some is even dangerous.

I am one that is not likely to tell someone to search a forum for their answer. I would rather understand their ability to use information through talking with them even if it's been talked about over and over again.

But I do my very best to be as nice to other people as they are nice to me.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

+2. (sort of). I started out today by signing in so I could add a comment to the gal worried about camping with a young one. My comment disappeared when I tried to post it (I do know that I should have copied it first "just in case"), x'd out when that happened and JOF took me back to the "thank you for logging in" screen lol. Somehow ended up spending a half hour reading this topic. Seriously, this forum has been so helpful - guess I've missed the posts where someone was rude or unhelpful.
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #76

Janet H - thank you for the custom Google search! I've been a frustrated searcher here too - this will help.
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #77

Stop right now. No one ask anything or post anything. There is a chance it was already asked or posted. So say good bye to JOF.

Come on. Questions and posts is what runs a forum based community and what continues it moving forward. People should feel free to ask anything they have a question about. If it was already answered then provide the answer as though you thought of it or post a link to the answer. If it gets asked hundreds of times a month then there should be a stickie with the answer.

From one forum owner to another, one thing that will run off new memberships faster than email spam is the snotty "Use the Search function" answer.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #78

Tone changing? Yes, occasionally when comments aren't acted-upon or are challenged ... it is taken personally. Collaborating with others in a virtual environment takes special skills and extra effort to be successful; when you can't see facial expressions, appreciate cultural differences, or understand what 'history' is driving the opinions of others ~ misunderstandings arise and postings pick-up a negative tone. It is great to share "war stories" whereas it isn't so great to lecture others ... and it becomes a special risk if it involves Newbies for we don't want to chase them away from the Jayco family and forum! A challenge for all of us - proactively do what we can to return negative threads back to a positive tone.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #79
Site Team

I'm sure a lot of us have visited other forums out there, and I have to say this one is by far, the most friendly and helpful of ANY of them. Just my .02.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #80

Much Thanks to the Polite members.. However, you are right about people being rude. there are people who don't seem to have much respect for themselves let alone anyone else. And its getting worse!
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote