Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam396 View Post
I have a 1993 Wrangler YJ that I am getting set up to tow, Camper Bob you mention that you put the transmission in 5th gear & the transfer case in neutral, was wondering don't you put both transmission and transfer case in neutral ??
I will have to check the manual when I get home, but I believe it says this so that the transmission stays lubricated in transit (if it offers an explanation at all, it's been WAY too long since I looked).

The reason I use 5th in the YJ is just in case the TC manages to find itself in gear, I don't blow something up. Or rather so I have less chance of blowing something up.

Full disclosure: I have towed the YJ in 5th gear with the TC still in 2H. I made it a couple miles before it hit me. I stopped, got out, pushed the clutch in, started the Jeep, let the clutch out slowly and it bogged. I said "CHIT!" and put the TC in N. No damage in that case. But I read a story where a guy was towing his and suddenly saw a bunch of smoke coming out. He stopped and discovered that his TC had somehow engaged (4H IIRC); he was towing with it in 1st, so it spun up pretty good. I don't know that he ever figured out what caused his TC to shift?

ETA: This is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check and verify that the vehicle is truly in Neutral before I take off. In the JL, there are specific steps listed to verify this; in the YJ, I just let the clutch out a little at a time until it's fully out, trans is in 5th and TC is in N and it's idling with the clutch all the way out, hooked up to the camper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #22

Thanks for the info Camper bob
elcam396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #23

We were camping a few years ago and next to us a coach pulled in flat towing a jeep wrangler. Younger single gal with a dog. She unhooked the jeep, did a quick set up on her coach and retired for the nite. Next morning we get up and the jeep is gone. After a few days of this she finally was at camp for the entire day. We ended up making small talk that turned into a real long talk and come to find out she is a travelling hospital ER Doctor. She works at 3 or 4 different hospitals like this. She had a pretty good size diesel pusher coach and told us about a mishap she had with her jeep when she first started doing this. She did the same thing, grenaded the engine. She said she didnt have a clue until she got to her next destination and she went to start it and there was absolutely nothing on the key. She pulled back out of the campsite and towed it to the nearest dealer and that when the surprise came. She said when they popped the hood there wasnt much left of the engine in there.
I couldnt imagine the debris field left out there on the highway, but more funny would have been the look on her face when they popped the hood!
Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #24

Tow Mishap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I don't flat tow but can see how a "minor" oversight like this could happen. Since it was a 2021 model it was probably brand new to the owner. Also, I wonder if they just came back from offroading since it was in 4wd.

Maybe he will blame it on the wife.

While shopping for a replacement vehicle for the 2019 RAM Stellantis (formerly FCA) was about to get back, I found a really nice 2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB FX4 in Magma red with Arizona gold. The first hint it had been a TOAD were the missing tow hooks, tow bar attachment instead. Drove the truck which had no flaws. Sat down to negotiate a deal, when the Carfax was presented, it showed a replacement transmission only 300 miles prior. Dealership guy: "Yeah, these things have a habit of blowing the transmission, you'd be better off with one of 'our' (GM) vehicles." In the back of my head I heard "RUN, FORREST, RUN!!!" In the ensuing weeks the following things happened:
1-It hailed...the truck sustained probably $3,000 hail damage.
2-I managed to call the sister dealership of "the brand" and found the transmission was replaced under warranty because they could not find a 'cause'. Ford was asking for their money back as it appeared to their engineers the vehicle was improperly towed, this had subsequently added $4,000 to the asking price of the vehicle.
3-The dealership folded...
It wasn't Reagor-Dykes, (see Reagor-Dykes sued by Ford) but it did involve several of the same players.
I bought from Vroom instead.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #25

I used to be one of those guys that moved the new RV's from the manufacturers to the dealers. One time I was hooking up my Sonic and there was a very gentle grade in the parking lot. When I put it in neutral, it slowly started to roll. I gently pulled up on the handbrake because I was bent over in the car, not sitting in the driver seat. The handbrake was only set one or two notches. I got my hookup finished and headed to the gas station two or three miles down the road. When I got there, myself and other drivers smelled something very hot, almost burning. I wasn't too worried about it because I was wanting to hit the road. Finally we traced it to the front end of my car and of course I had forgotten to release the brakes. Nothing bad happened and in fact those brakes were replaced for the first time last week at 88,000 miles. But it could have been bad.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I used to be one of those guys that moved the new RV's from the manufacturers to the dealers. One time I was hooking up my Sonic and there was a very gentle grade in the parking lot. When I put it in neutral, it slowly started to roll. I gently pulled up on the handbrake because I was bent over in the car, not sitting in the driver seat. The handbrake was only set one or two notches. I got my hookup finished and headed to the gas station two or three miles down the road. When I got there, myself and other drivers smelled something very hot, almost burning. I wasn't too worried about it because I was wanting to hit the road. Finally we traced it to the front end of my car and of course I had forgotten to release the brakes. Nothing bad happened and in fact those brakes were replaced for the first time last week at 88,000 miles. But it could have been bad.

Larry
I've almost done the same thing once or twice. It has solidified my habit of doing a final walk-around of the entire setup before taking off. And that's AFTER I check and re-check my departure list. That one final walk around has saved my bacon on an embarrassing number of occasions, and it only costs about a minute or two.

I've even told myself after I've mounted the driver's seat "nah, I'm good", then I take a deep breath, get out of the driver's seat and take a little walk.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #27

A final sanity check we do when hooking to the toad is we push the vehicle backwards to fully extend and lock the tow bar arms (Roadmaster). We've done this with a Wrangler (auto) and Mini (manual) and it has saved us a couple of times. The Wrangler has to be in Park and the transfer case disengaged for travel.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #28
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
A final sanity check we do when hooking to the toad is we push the vehicle backwards to fully extend and lock the tow bar arms (Roadmaster). We've done this with a Wrangler (auto) and Mini (manual) and it has saved us a couple of times. The Wrangler has to be in Park and the transfer case disengaged for travel.

My laminated check list (see Bob your not crazy alone and my wife suggested the lamination) as well as the Jeep manual instructions have you put it in drive, wait for 5-10 seconds, then do the same in reverse. I actually rev the engine slightly. This makes sure the transfer case is out of gear.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #29

Should of used slick50! Lol
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #30

No warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Should of used slick50! Lol

STP wouldn't have helped either....
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
My laminated check list (see Bob your not crazy alone and my wife suggested the lamination) as well as the Jeep manual instructions have you put it in drive, wait for 5-10 seconds, then do the same in reverse. I actually rev the engine slightly. This makes sure the transfer case is out of gear.
Same same.

I actually misplaced my checklist!! I went by myself to pick our rig up from storage, went to grab my "flat-tow" procedure and couldn't find it!!

One key I remember VERY clearly though was that you should never shift the transmission into Park with the transfer case in Neutral and the engine running. So I carefully and intentionally went through the steps as I remember them and was successful. Verified as above of course, and went on my way for the short tow home.

GOTTA find that check list!!

I keep the manual in the glove box though, so if I had any doubt, I could've broken that thing out and followed the steps.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #32

My CRV is; go through all gears, then Back to drive for 5 sec, neutral for 3 min, shut off key, then I disconnect my battery disconnect. Oh, and don’t forget to release the emergency break! I did that once, good thing it was gravel, I just dragged it around the CG until I felt snd heard it!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #33

Just a guess of what happened. When hooking up I use 4L when I get close to slowly creep up to the tow bar.

He might of did the same thing, and got distracted after hooking up, and failed to follow through with the rest.

First thing I do after hooking up is to start the Jeep, put transfer box in N, then put it in gear and let out on the clutch to make sure I found N correctly. I have a manual trans TJ.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #34

Wow, laugh or cry

Some people aren’t meant for RVing.
This is hilarious on one hand & sad on another🙄
Ceimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My CRV is; go through all gears, then Back to drive for 5 sec, neutral for 3 min, shut off key, then I disconnect my battery disconnect. Oh, and don’t forget to release the emergency break! I did that once, good thing it was gravel, I just dragged it around the CG until I felt snd heard it!
Just curious, with the battery disconnected, what do you do for the toad braking system.

My checklist includes having the DW stand next to the toad, after checking the lights, and listen as I pull forward a few feet. A good auditory check for any problems.

I cannot believe they couldn't feel resistance. I know if the toad's brakes drag a little.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not pretty, wonder how the call to the insurance went on that one.

Here is one I saw a few years back. Gad it was a rainy day.

I saw one like that leaving Collier State Park in OR. Some one jumped in their truck and caught the motor home at the stop sign before he got on highway 97. WOW the locked up tires squeeled loud.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #37
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Same same.

I actually misplaced my checklist!! I went by myself to pick our rig up from storage, went to grab my "flat-tow" procedure and couldn't find it!!

One key I remember VERY clearly though was that you should never shift the transmission into Park with the transfer case in Neutral and the engine running. So I carefully and intentionally went through the steps as I remember them and was successful. Verified as above of course, and went on my way for the short tow home.

GOTTA find that check list!!

I keep the manual in the glove box though, so if I had any doubt, I could've broken that thing out and followed the steps.

Manual is on my Iphone docs so I can bring it up if some strange thing happens like the laminated sheet going walkabout.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post

Thats exactly what I do.....then you know its in neutral.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #39
RPR

My brother in law who tows a keep behind his Class A as last step cranks the engine, puts it in drive and pushes accelerator in a little to make sure the transfer case is not engaged then puts it back in neutral.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Manual is on my Iphone docs so I can bring it up if some strange thing happens like the laminated sheet going walkabout.
Come to think of it, I think I have it in my phone too!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV