Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2022, 06:48 AM   #781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
That is a good boss.
Yeah, he's pretty okay. At first he mentioned that he might put a little towards the class and I told him I wasn't expecting it, but that would be great. But, as mentioned earlier, he offered to pay for all of it. Maybe he was just feeling me out; wants to make sure I'm not just expecting him to finance all my stuff. I'm sure he's thinking about what happens in the future, too, like he doesn't want to pay for the CDL then I just leave soon afterwards. If I was the boss, I wouldn't want that either! I can understand you would expect some time spent with the company so he could get some payback from his expenditure/investment.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Check the better business bureau on the engines, some are rated F and some are rated A
Thanks for the tip!

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Congrats on passing the test!
At the counter at the SOS, he asked, "Is there anything else, today?" Yeah, I was told I need to upgrade my license to a Chauffeur's license. He tells me I need to take a test for that. I said, "I suppose there is some literature to study, then?" He hands me a brochure and I glance through it thinking maybe he'd let me take the test right now (they say no testing after 4PM and it was like 4:08). But he then says,"You don't need to have the Chauffeur's license; you can have a CDL class A and a regular operators license if you want." "Oh! Well then, here's you brochure back and I guess I won't do that then." (save $35!)

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #784
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
An hourly rate, I believe.

As much as I would like to R&R the engine, the DW really hates that this is happening. We feel I got a bit duped when I purchased it, you know? I didn't know to listen for that problem, and at the time, the manifold gasket was leaking and the muffler system was shot, so any chance of hearing a slight tick was all but impossible; it only really became apparent when the temps dove to around 50F.

Shoot, I could take it really easy driving this truck, wait until Spring/Summer and unload it to someone else. But I can't in good conscious pass this expensive fix to someone else without disclosure, which means, good luck selling the truck at all.

It is fortunate the body of the truck is really quite good given it's going on 12 years old. It's lacking some bells and whistles, sure would've liked a 2014 or newer in that regard. Putting $10k into this, I would hope to get another 10 years, or better, out of it though. But thinking of $30k spent for 10+ years of use seems so much. Might be different if I had way too much money on hand, but that's not the case!

I truly feel bad for you in this situation. Just a couple more questions for you. Do you just have the traditional Hemi tick right now or have you already found shavings in the oil and/or lost compression in a cylinder?

Reason I ask is, if nothing else has failed at this point, you may be able to salvage the bottom end and just have a new cam, lifters, pushrods, etc. installed and the heads gone through.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I truly feel bad for you in this situation. Just a couple more questions for you. Do you just have the traditional Hemi tick right now or have you already found shavings in the oil and/or lost compression in a cylinder?

Reason I ask is, if nothing else has failed at this point, you may be able to salvage the bottom end and just have a new cam, lifters, pushrods, etc. installed and the heads gone through.
Seems louder than a tick, but didn't notice any metal shavings on the oil plug. It sounds kind of like a clackity sound, then quiets down. And the weird thing is sometimes the noise is not there at all after warming up. At times it's very noticeable under light acceleration and other times not noticeable under same conditions. Sort of doesn't make sense. Suppose it has to do with how things are warming up and expanding.

We're crunching numbers and guess we're leaning towards getting the R&R as opposed to the repair you described. But thank you for your input! I like the idea of the engine being upgraded with the fixes for the known problems from the past, too. Just a big expensive bummer.

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #786

Quote:
Seems louder than a tick, but didn't notice any metal shavings on the oil plug. It sounds kind of like a clackity sound, then quiets down. And the weird thing is sometimes the noise is not there at all after warming up. At times it's very noticeable under light acceleration and other times not noticeable under same conditions. Sort of doesn't make sense. Suppose it has to do with how things are warming up and expanding.

We're crunching numbers and guess we're leaning towards getting the R&R as opposed to the repair you described. But thank you for your input! I like the idea of the engine being upgraded with the fixes for the known problems from the past, too. Just a big expensive bummer.
Just wondering what year 5.7 you got, your old 5.7 from a 2500 seems to have the most torque and horsepower
Old 01-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #787

Hey Sturgis… What training do you need to become a garbage collector? None, you just pick it up as you go along.
(Courtesy of my brother, a retired garbage collector)
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #788

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Hey Sturgis… What training do you need to become a garbage collector? None, you just pick it up as you go along.
(Courtesy of my brother, a retired garbage collector)
LOL, good one! Thanks for sharing. You know, they always say, business is picking up!

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #789

Quote:
Just wondering what year 5.7 you got, your old 5.7 from a 2500 seems to have the most torque and horsepower
Good question, Bill. I'll ask the shop if they know ahead of time which year they're getting for the R&R.

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #790
Site Team

John, I'll throw a few things out there. I do know the 5.7 has some inherent noises like the infamous 'Hemi Tick' that seem to be built in. I have a friend with a 2016 3500. If I read some of the posts right, you've eliminated the broken exhaust manifold bolt and blown gasket possibility. I found his by reversing a shop vac into the tailpipe to check for the manifold leak. Just had to roll the engine over a little to get valves in the right places for each side.

When it is making the noise, does it change if you shift into R or D?

Injector slap?

Is the noise any different right after an oil change? Perhaps a different brand with a higher zinc content?

A lifter that's slow to prime or loses it sporadically?

Timing chain tensioner?

Any computer codes set?

Hemi's do have short piston skirts, which isn't out of the question, but the piston slap noise I had in a 4.3 GM V6 (also short skirts) was only noticeable outside the truck and didn't go away with time, temperature differences, or oil viscosity.

This might be a stretch, but a call to a RAM service department manager to see if there are any TSBs on that issue.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #791
Site Team

Just one more suggestion. Get a good old engine stethoscope and listen to each cylinder to see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the sound.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...&gclsrc=aw.ds&
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #792

[QUOTE=JFlightRisk;1023917]John, I'll throw a few things out there. I do know the 5.7 has some inherent noises like the infamous 'Hemi Tick' that seem to be built in. I have a friend with a 2016 3500. If I read some of the posts right, you've eliminated the broken exhaust manifold bolt and blown gasket possibility. I found his by reversing a shop vac into the tailpipe to check for the manifold leak. Just had to roll the engine over a little to get valves in the right places for each side.

When it is making the noise, does it change if you shift into R or D? The noise is the same

Injector slap? Never heard of this before

Is the noise any different right after an oil change? Perhaps a different brand with a higher zinc content? Haven't changed the oil yet, was going to put it off if I'm going to change the engine

A lifter that's slow to prime or loses it sporadically? I wonder; probably going to have the mechanic shop listen to this on a cold start up and see what they think, I could be jumping to conclusions

Timing chain tensioner? Sound coming from right side of engine though

Any computer codes set? I can check with my scanner

Hemi's do have short piston skirts, which isn't out of the question, but the piston slap noise I had in a 4.3 GM V6 (also short skirts) was only noticeable outside the truck and didn't go away with time, temperature differences, or oil viscosity. Ah, that is what is weird about this noise, it can come and go

This might be a stretch, but a call to a RAM service department manager to see if there are any TSBs on that issue. I looked up TSBs earlier, don't recall now, so might be worth a revisit[/QUOTE]

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Just one more suggestion. Get a good old engine stethoscope and listen to each cylinder to see if you can pinpoint the exact location of the sound.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...&gclsrc=aw.ds&
Yeah, I have one and I actually had that thought today!

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-22-2022, 11:07 PM   #794

That is why we paid a high price for car warrentee. We take it to the dealer give them $100.00 and they fix it. The last time was the indash computer and screen. A uconect update made it go crazy. The heater and A/C would not even work. The dealer put a new one in it. We have oil change through the dealer and if it turns out to be that kind of trouble, it is on them. I just keep up my end of the deal and have it surviced as needed.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 PM   #795
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, I have one and I actually had that thought today!
Excellent. That's an indispensable tool for situations like this. I've used mine many times over the years.

Injector slap is part of why a diesel engine is noisy...along with the compression combustion noise. An injector usually has a valve inside that breaks open under fuel pressure, and id it's worn or bad you can hear that valve snap closed.
Most times there'll be another symptom with that cylinder that shows up first, like running rich, a fowled plug or a skip. I just put that down as a remote possibility. We all know some really strange things can happen with an engine.

I have a good friend with a 2016 RAM 3500 that just shut down as he was putting his TT in his driveway. The truck was crossways in the street and wouldn't start or try to. It spent 66 days in the dealer's shop, even with Detroit getting involved to help. Very long story short, the computer was fried because a wiring harness next to the radiator shorted out, and he was caught in the chip shortage scenario waiting for a new one. It's fixed now, but he doesn't trust it like he used to.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #796

geeze, it can't be piston slap if the noise goes away, right? Man, it's been actually pretty quiet lately; what gives?! At this point, I'm definitely not doing an R&R. Gonna throw the scanner on it after typing this message to see if anything, but I suspect not. I'm frustrated and relieved. Frustrated there's some sort of problem, relieved I don't have to come up with $10k.

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #797

Quote:
geeze, it can't be piston slap if the noise goes away, right? Man, it's been actually pretty quiet lately; what gives?! At this point, I'm definitely not doing an R&R. Gonna throw the scanner on it after typing this message to see if anything, but I suspect not. I'm frustrated and relieved. Frustrated there's some sort of problem, relieved I don't have to come up with $10k.
Great you saved yourself 10,000 dollars
Old 01-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #798

Quote:
Great you saved yourself 10,000 dollars
Yeah!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #799

It makes this kind of clacking noise on right side. If I'm at idle and goose it, that clacking noise happens on the decel. Sounds similar to same type of noise when accelerating at times, it hasn't been consistent, but I think I hear it. Is this the Hemi tick? Lifter/valve issue?

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 01-25-2022, 04:21 PM   #800

Found out today, for whatever reason, I do need the Chauffeur license. I emailed the instructor and he said yes, but wait until you have your CDL. Would've thought the Class B would cover the Chauffeur since I'd be qualified to drive trucks weighing more than 26,001 pounds.

2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos

Tags
comment, share