Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Maybe you two should consider hotels or go on a cruise. Campfires and eating steaks cooked on them is why most of us camp. Not scolding, but the last thing I want to see is wood campfires being banned because .001% of the campers have a problem with them.
I love a campfire, in the right place at the right time and I seldom camp in an RV park. That's not camping. So I don't leave a log for the next occupant but I will when remote camping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0037.JPG  

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #22

We always leave wood behind or gift it to a neighboring camper. We are often crossing the US/Canada border, and you DO NOT want to have any wood onboard. Also, most of the areas we camp in have wood movement restrictions, so we tend to source as close to our destination as possible.

Last summer's major 2-week camp here in Ontario we were under a fire ban the entire time, and yes, we all had much better breathing. Didn't think much about how much all those fires around us were affecting our breathing, and I think we will be burning a lot less going forward. It is also becoming increasingly expensive to have a decent campfire - probably $25-30 a night for the wood (we like a good fire).

The real fun last year was the bit of a competition that broke out in the campground to find the best non-burning fire. This was a TOTAL fire ban. Only contained gas fires in a cooking appliance with an on/off switch were allowed; so no candles, gas fire rings, mosquito coils. Our neighbor faked one so well that another camper inadvertently tossed a used kleenex at it.

I bought an orange color flickering projector light at Halloween and am looking forward to using it to fake a good fire next year...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #23

We found a product called Speedy Blaze. Its made from compressed wood shavings and is FDA approved for transport to ANY state and country. They come in bricks and fit in our compartments better than wood and burn when wet...no more looking for dry wood. MI state parks stock them in cages like propane. Check out their website speedyblaze.com. Not easy to find in the western states, but it is a new product and hopefully coming to an area near you. They burn completely so no extra stuff left in the firepit.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #24

I have made it a point to try to give away any unused wood I purchased at the CG back to another camper at the same CG.

A few years ago, we stayed at a state CG on Stockton Lake, MO. I purchased wood, used half of it then left the other half at my site. I looped around our site after we left the dump station to find a high school aged kid that work there cleaning my site and gathering the the unused wood. I assume they were collecting it to sell it again to the next guy.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #25

I'm glad many people mentioned not transporting wood. It's important that you purchase wood where you're going to use it and don't transport it.

We don't have fires often, so we don't transport wood at all. We pretty much must buy it local. I also have a "Lil' Red Campfire" I've been known to use (small propane camp fire). It's nice to just be able to turn it off when I want to go to bed.

If I have any wood left, I'll leave it at the site stacked neatly by the fire ring. If the next site is close, and the occupants are out, I'll typically ask them if they want it. I never gave a moment's thought to whether the hosts would remove it.

If someone near me asked me not to have a fire, I would likely be okay with that. I'm content to sit outside in the dark, or perhaps with a candle (I carry a small candle lantern) or small battery lantern. If it's too cold to sit outside without a fire, I'll just go inside and watch a movie or go to bed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #26

For me it depends on whom I'm camping with
If I'm with my 2 brothers we are outside all night with a good fire - they both smoke and I do not so I think mainly because of that they prefer to stay out all night just to smoke - plus one of my brothers is a "Fire-Master" and takes great pride in making a warm glowing bright fire no matter what the weather is. We've only camped within 2 hours of home so transporting the wood hasn't been a problem.
However if it's my wife and I then that's a different story. She always wants to cook inside - (love that smell of bacon in the trailer every morning LOL) and we tend to wind down a busy day of kayaking/hiking by watching a movie indoors (not always but usually).
We tend to have just enough wood to camp with - but when I'm with my brother he always brings a truck bed full of wood (within state regulations of course) so will leave enough to get another fire started

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #27

We do the same.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
probably $25-30 a night for the wood (we like a good fire)...
Luckily I have never purchased firewood for my campfire! I see the bundles of wood for sale @ $5, $8, and $10 dollars for such small bundles of wood, likely I would burn through those bundles just getting a good fire started!!! I would easily burn $50 bucks a night!!! Lol

I camp where I can cut my own, or I go without! When I’m done camping I usually leave at least $20 dollars worth of the bundle size of wood behind.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Luckily I have never purchased firewood for my campfire! I see the bundles of wood for sale @ $5, $8, and $10 dollars for such small bundles of wood, likely I would burn through those bundles just getting a good fire started!!! I would easily burn $50 bucks a night!!! Lol

I camp where I can cut my own, or I go without! When I’m done camping I usually leave at least $20 dollars worth of the bundle size of wood behind.
When I go camping with family/inlaws, the three biggest expenses are these:
1. Firewood
2. Beer
3. Ice

When my kids were small, I would take them into the woods and go "wood lookin". Drag downed logs and tree limbs back to the pickup truck and take back to the campsite to cut them to length using a handsaw. At my advanced age, just easier to hand over a few bucks to a local guy selling firewood.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #30

When I leave a campsite and we have neighbors I give the wood to them, No neighbors I leave it at the campsite.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #31

That is one interesting difference between camping in the US and Canada. Up here it is illegal to pickup and burn deadfall (let alone cut any down) in our provincial/national parks where we mostly camp. Doing that could end up with a $250 campfire "fee" (fine), and probable ejection from the park.

I see people foraging for wood all the time in the NY State parks and it seems so strange to me.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #32

We leave our left over firewood - but NOT in the Fire Ring.

Many places in the west now prohibit bringing firewood in from other locations due to the spread of the Bark-Beetle. That said, you gather your firewood locally and must leave it.
Attached Thumbnails
20160506_181352.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #33

Its also illegal in several states....Utah BLM land for instance....could be all BLM land.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Its also illegal in several states....Utah BLM land for instance....could be all BLM land.
Could you please clarify???

The photo above of our campsite is on BLM land - there are no restrictions on firewood in most of the state. The only restrictions they have published are seasonal open fire restrictions, and such.

Now on a different location: National parks have strict rules on firewood / campfires.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
That is one interesting difference between camping in the US and Canada. Up here it is illegal to pickup and burn deadfall (let alone cut any down) in our provincial/national parks where we mostly camp. Doing that could end up with a $250 campfire "fee" (fine), and probable ejection from the park.

I see people foraging for wood all the time in the NY State parks and it seems so strange to me.
Just another one of the reasons I prefer to travel and camp in the US. It cost around 2 1/2 times to camp up here, the fuel is twice the cost, and most times that I've camped here the "new" Canadians will swarm one site with 30 of their relatives. Another big issue is the quality of the campgrounds. The provincial parks here have horrid toilet facilities unlike the ones in State parks. Thankfully I live near the border.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #36

In many (most? all?) TX state parks, foraging dead-fall is prohibited.

That is a natural part of the ecosystem. Critters use that dead fall for all manner of things including food and shelter. So, while it's an "easy" target for firewood, it's not good for the environment to collect and burn it.

Again, another reason to just purchase it local.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In many (most? all?) TX state parks, foraging dead-fall is prohibited.

That is a natural part of the ecosystem. Critters use that dead fall for all manner of things including food and shelter. So, while it's an "easy" target for firewood, it's not good for the environment to collect and burn it.

Again, another reason to just purchase it local.
Agree... and is the same for most of the State Parks we visit.

For those who boondock on Utah BLM land - here is the current regulation on collecting firewood for " Recreational purposes" which cover camping and campfires.
https://www.blm.gov/basic/programs-n...t-permits-utah

Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #38

SloPoke...thanks for clarifying!! Some friends of ours from Canada drove down a few years ago and made a campfire and got fined $250 for cutting down/up deadwood. I cannot cite the specifics, but thought they said they were told no cutting....or maybe they just told me that, or maybe they cut something live. Since then I have been very careful to only pick up twigs!. I can see I am in error!. Many thanks>
Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Just another one of the reasons I prefer to travel and camp in the US. It cost around 2 1/2 times to camp up here, the fuel is twice the cost, and most times that I've camped here the "new" Canadians will swarm one site with 30 of their relatives. Another big issue is the quality of the campgrounds. The provincial parks here have horrid toilet facilities unlike the ones in State parks. Thankfully I live near the border.
As a frequent patron of New York State parks, I have had the pleasure of meeting many Canadian campers, very friendly people and considerate. But there is one thing that puzzles me. Just about all the Canadian campers I have met here drink American beers, such as Budweiser & Coors. But all my American camping friends and relatives drink Canadian beer such as Labatt and Molson.

Just an observation.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
As a frequent patron of New York State parks, I have had the pleasure of meeting many Canadian campers, very friendly people and considerate. But there is one thing that puzzles me. Just about all the Canadian campers I have met here drink American beers, such as Budweiser & Coors. But all my American camping friends and relatives drink Canadian beer such as Labatt and Molson.

Just an observation.
I spent the summer of 1994 in Rome Italy. While I was there, Peroni was my go to beer. My Italian friends would laugh at me when we went out because I just loved it and they called it "Birra Marcia" or rotten beer. What did they drink?..........an import of course.........Budweiser.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote